Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:06 am

Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) SUSPENDED 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) SUSPENDED
Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
It doesn't matter. With Robertson not backing down, having tNot everyone who watches the show supports he support of the other cast members, and the support of everyone who watches the show...A&E will cave.

Also, Robertson does not need revenue from the show. He founded a multi-million dollar company with a patent on duck calls for duck hunting back in the 70s. If anything, the sales on his products would see a spike if he was fired or the show got canceled.

Newsflash, not everyone who watches the show supports Robertson's asinine statements, so the idea that A&E is going to "cave" is wishful thinking and downright laughable, they'd receive a tremendous backlash if they did something that spineless.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/21/phil-robertson-duck-dynasty-return_n_4485646.html

This is huffingtonpost, a site about as credible as the bullshit blogs you get your life lessons from, BUT I bet not only will A&E show the remainder of the episodes he is in this season, but that they will order a season five featuring phil.

With the ratings and money this show pulls in, A&E would be stupid to give a shit about what GLAAD thinks.

And some more thoughts on the gay:

Why is homosexuality being forced on us? If someone doesn't agree with it, they are labeled "evil, unintelligent, redneck, scum." Maybe, they just don't agree with it. For me, whatever happens behind closed doors, fine, whatever. But I don't want to see dudes holding hands and kissing on the subway because it's just weird, and by weird I mean fucking disgusting. I also find brussel sprouts disgusting, but some people love them. To each their own.

**Although girl on girl action is fine as long as they are both hot.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:44 pm
Auteur

Typical thoughtless response, real big shocker. Homosexuality isn't being "forced" upon anyone :roll: A&E does and should care about what GLAAD and other organizations have to say about the show(i'll bet the NAACP has a few choice words for Robertson as well)

Also those blogs are not "bullshit"(and I don't get "life lessons" from them, it should just be common sense to have a little human decency) but your posts certainly are :lol:

Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:48 am
Second Unit Director

So Robertson seems to be coming back...granted this is 4 days old so maybe not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/21/phil-robertson-duck-dynasty-return_n_4485646.html

Also, tolerance is a two-way street. I don't agree with Phil and I'm all equal-rights with a few LBGT friends but if he feels that way, then so be it. Who are we to say that he's wrong for what he believes in. Granted, he's on the wrong side of history but still I at least don't throw a fit when somebody says something I don't agree with it.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:37 am
Producer

I'll say he's wrong for what he believes.

My tolerance of faith-based beliefs hinges largely on one rule of thumb: what effect do those beliefs have upon the world? If your faith makes you into a better person, if it inspires you to respect others and to treat them equality and humanity, if it inspires you toward great works of human achievement... then I'm all for it.

If you use your faith to justify treating people differently based on sexual orientation, religion, gender, race, etc., then I have no patience for that. You can't ask people to respect a belief that has no basis in reality unless there is some sort of greater benefit to it, or at least no greater drawback. Note: "If he weren't religious, he might say even worse things about gays and blacks" does not qualify as beneficial.

This is a person who believes that the faith-based nature of his discrimination makes it acceptable and that is wrong. He believes that the pre-Jim Crow era was some idyllic American paradise where the races all lived in harmony, which is very wrong. He believes that you can tell who is hellbound and who is not by their sexual orientation, which is such a tangle of delusions and fixations that wrong doesn't begin to describe it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this man has never been told he's going to hell, that he'd be happier in a subservient lower caste, been pushed to the margins of society, or had laws made preventing him from participating in the same rights and expectations as the rest of us because of his religion, his sexual orientation, his race, his gender, or his age. He, and just about every demographic he's a part of, has been the beneficiary of tolerance by default since time immemorial. Frankly, people don't need to be wasting any extra tolerance on him. His only obstacle to tolerance is his bigotry.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:53 pm
Director

Ken wrote:

My tolerance of faith-based beliefs hinges largely on one rule of thumb: what effect do those beliefs have upon the world? If your faith makes you into a better person, if it inspires you to respect others and to treat them equality and humanity, if it inspires you toward great works of human achievement... then I'm all for it.

If you use your faith to justify treating people differently based on sexual orientation, religion, gender, race, etc., then I have no patience for that. You can't ask people to respect a belief that has no basis in reality unless there is some sort of greater benefit to it, or at least no greater drawback. Note: "If he weren't religious, he might say even worse things about gays and blacks" does not qualify as beneficial.

This is a person who believes that the faith-based nature of his discrimination makes it acceptable and that is wrong. He believes that the pre-Jim Crow era was some idyllic American paradise where the races all lived in harmony, which is very wrong. He believes that you can tell who is hellbound and who is not by their sexual orientation, which is such a tangle of delusions and fixations that wrong doesn't begin to describe it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this man has never been told he's going to hell, that he'd be happier in a subservient lower caste, been pushed to the margins of society, or had laws made preventing him from participating in the same rights and expectations as the rest of us because of his religion, his sexual orientation, his race, his gender, or his age. He, and just about every demographic he's a part of, has been the beneficiary of tolerance by default since time immemorial. Frankly, people don't need to be wasting any extra tolerance on him. His only obstacle to tolerance is his bigotry.

Exactly. I'm going to try to avoid going on a Bill Maher-esque anti-religion rant here, but it won't be easy. :| The trouble with his beliefs is that many other Christians don't agree with him. The main Christian message is to Love One Another; not just those who are exactly like you. I'm sick of people like Robertson cherry-picking what things from their 'holy book' to practice/enforce based on their own character/sensibilities. It's just like the 'shoe' scene from "Life of Brian." :? Yes, he has the right to believe this religion-derived belief and share it with the public or not, but those who have called him on this misguided opinion have just as much of a right to do so as well.

Of course, it's hard for me to take anyone who lives his life by a book of ancient fairy tales that hasn't been updated in nearly 2,000 years (and, yes, the Old Testament still endorses slavery and stoning unruly children :? ) seriously. I can see the appeal of religion -- its big carrot that it dangles in front of us is the prospect of immortality; that when we die we'll continue to live on in some other way, shape or form... but only if we believe the alleged giant magician who lives in the sky and created the whole universe on a whim is real. If you feel that that's the only thing that gives your life any meaning... well, I'll leave it there. :|

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:57 pm
Second Unit Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Ken wrote:

Exactly. I'm going to try to avoid going on a Bill Maher-esque anti-religion rant here, but it won't be easy. :| The trouble with his beliefs is that many other Christians don't agree with him. The main Christian message is to Love One Another; not just those who are exactly like you. I'm sick of people like Robertson cherry-picking what things from their 'holy book' to practice/enforce based on their own character/sensibilities. It's just like the 'shoe' scene from "Life of Brian." :? Yes, he has the right to believe this religion-derived belief and share it with the public or not, but those who have called him on this misguided opinion have just as much of a right to do so as well.

Of course, it's hard for me to take anyone who lives his life by a book of ancient fairy tales that hasn't been updated in nearly 2,000 years (and, yes, the Old Testament still endorses slavery and stoning unruly children :? ) seriously. I can see the appeal of religion -- its big carrot that it dangles in front of us is the prospect of immortality; that when we die we'll continue to live on in some other way, shape or form... but only if we believe the alleged giant magician who lives in the sky and created the whole universe on a whim is real. If you feel that that's the only thing that gives your life any meaning... well, I'll leave it there. :|

1st...What created the big bang? It just happened by chance? You have faith in nothing?

2nd. As I have said before, the thought of goddamn dudes butt plugging each other is fucking disgusting....really sick shit. For me it has nothing to do with religion. But it seems more people on this board agree with butt plugging (a smoking hot BABE that likes anal is ok) rather than Phil. That is fine. You are allowed to agree with weird shit just as I am allowed to disagree with it.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:41 am
Auteur

I think your posts are disgusting.

Events like 9/11 pretty much convinced me as a kid that there was no god.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:10 am
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
1st...What created the big bang? It just happened by chance? You have faith in nothing?

Is WE STILL DON'T KNOW -- SCIENCE IS WORKING ON IT an unacceptable answer for you as well? Yes, it sucks that we won't have all the answers concerning the universe (or even this planet alone) in our lifetime... but I'm sure as hell not going to accept the easiest, most convenient answer that's currently available (i.e. A deity created everything! :roll: ). I intend to live my life believing as many true things and as few false things as possible. Besides, inserting said deity into the mix (particularly the Judeo-Christian one) still creates a multitude of questions in its own right (e.g. Why does it insist that we worship it?; Why doesn't it still blatantly reveal itself as it did in the Old Testament?; If it's all-loving, why does it send people to hell?; Why does it NOT intervene when horrendous events like the Holocaust and 9/11 happen?; etc.). :| If by chance there IS in fact some sort of connective, all-binding power running throughout the universe, I'm inclined to believe it's more akin to The Force from Star Wars than anything you'll find in the average 'holy book;' i.e. it doesn't take on a physical form (especially not the human form), and certainly doesn't give 2 shits as to whether or not we worship it. :P *End of religion talk*
Quote:
2nd. As I have said before, the thought of goddamn dudes butt plugging each other is fucking disgusting....really sick shit. For me it has nothing to do with religion. But it seems more people on this board agree with butt plugging (a smoking hot BABE that likes anal is ok) rather than Phil. That is fine. You are allowed to agree with weird shit just as I am allowed to disagree with it.
I swear all the fucking bigots out there think about gay sex more than actual gay people. :P

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:25 am
Second Unit Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
I swear all the fucking bigots out there think about gay sex more than actual gay people.

I'm a bigot because I find the thought of dudes having sex with other dudes weird and disgusting?

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:20 am
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
I swear all the fucking bigots out there think about gay sex more than actual gay people.

I'm a bigot because I find the thought of dudes having sex with other dudes weird and disgusting?

No, you're a bigot because that's the ONLY aspect you focus on, not whether or not homosexual couples deserve the same rights as heterosexual married couples.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:22 pm
Director

I don't know about any of you guys, but is anyone else besides me getting sick of this cycle? It's like:

1. Celebrity says something racist/homophobic and clearly on the wrong side of history
2. Internet goes apeshit with outraged people reacting first calling for said person's head
3. defenders cry "Freedom of speech!"
4. Everyone creates their "funny" and "clever" memes regarding the subject, plastered over every Facebook feed everywhere
5. News cycle eventually sweeps it under the rug until the next "scandal" erupts

It's all become repetitive and annoying. Chik Fil A, Paula Deen, Phil Robertson... the list goes on. I've lost the heart to care so much anymore because its so saturated.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:06 pm
Auteur

Well you can't really do anything to stop people from saying stupid shit and offending other people, and so on and so forth.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:30 pm
Auteur

Looks like Robertson's asinine comments are coming back to bite him in the ass:

http://www.cafemom.com/articles/entertainment/167032/the_numbers_are_in_duck?utm_medium=sem2&utm_campaign=prism&utm_source=zergnet&utm_content=0

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:25 pm
Producer

I don't really care about the controversy only to say that these Duck Dynasty guys are batshit crazy. They think the bible is 100% fact for crying out loud. All I have to say is, I've never heard of this show before the controversy, and I hope to never hear about it again. I'm not a fan of reality shows in general (other than American Idol, Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef) and this one just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:38 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I don't really care about the controversy only to say that these Duck Dynasty guys are batshit crazy. They think the bible is 100% fact for crying out loud. All I have to say is, I've never heard of this show before the controversy, and I hope to never hear about it again. I'm not a fan of reality shows in general (other than American Idol, Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef) and this one just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I never really heard of the show before this either, I like some reality shows like Bar Rescue, Hell's Kitchen, Hotel Hell, Kitchen Nightmares(used to watch AI, but it started getting stale around the fifth season).

But Duck Dynasty easily takes the crown for the worst reality TV show i've ever seen(even worse then "The Swan"), not only that, it's the worst TV show i've ever seen period, it's so bad it makes Jersey Shore and all those Kardashian and Real Housewives shows look like The Sopranos by comparison.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:43 pm