Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:58 am

Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) SUSPENDED 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) SUSPENDED
So Phil Robertson the patriarch of the "Duck Dynasty" has been suspended indefinitely by the A&E Network.

From the Chicago Tribune web site...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-duck-dynasty-phil-robertson-sounds-off-on-gays-20131218,0,6319736.story

Quote:
A&E has indefinitely suspended "Duck Dynasty" patriarch Phil Robertson after anti-gay comments he made in the January 2014 issue of GQ magazine.

Robertson, outspoken about his Christian faith, equated homosexuality with bestiality and called the lifestyle a sin.

"We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson's comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series 'Duck Dynasty'," A&E said in a statement on Wednesday.

"His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."

The Hollywood Reporter said that Robertson will likely appear in the new season, which begins Jan. 15, since production is nearly finished.

In the GQ interview, Robertson goes on record with comments about the sinfulness of gays and black people under Jim Crow.

In the profile, an unedited Robertson sounds off on what's ailing the country during a trip through the Louisiana backwoods.

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men," he tells reporter Drew Magary. "Don't be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."

He also muses about his own sexual orientation: "It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man's anus. That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical."

GLAAD rep Wilson Cruz responded to Robertson's remarks with a statement:

"Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe. He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans -- and Americans -- who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples.

"Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to reexamine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families.

However, A&E’S decision to suspend Phil Robertson for his remarks has caused some conservatives to come out in his defense.

Within hours of his suspension Thursday, he had drawn supportive statements from former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and Bobby Jindal, governor of his home state of Louisiana. A petition to return him to the show began circulating immediately.

"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with," Jindal said in a late-night statement. "I don’t agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV. In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive. But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views. In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended."

"Free speech is an endangered species," Palin said on Facebook Wednesday night. "Those 'intolerants' hatin' and taking on the 'Duck Dynasty' patriarch for voicing his personal opinion are taking on all of us."

Chris Stone, founder of Faith Driven Consumer, the group behind the IStandWithPhil.com petition, said, "simply put, Phil Robertson is being censored and punished for quoting the Bible, and A&E’s treatment of him is punitive and highly discriminatory. Everyday people will not stand for this, they know bullying and violation of religious freedom when they see it. A&E’s actions are censoring Faith Driven Consumers and eliminating them from an entertainment choice that they have overwhelmingly supported."

In a quote that may raise even more eyebrows than his feelings about gays, Robertson claims he "never" saw black people mistreated during the pre-civil rights era in his home state, and strongly suggests that African Americans were more content under Jim Crow.

"Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash," he said. "They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Robertson also shares an interesting rationale for voting for Mitt Romney over President Obama, saying he favored the candidate because he was from Salt Lake City, a safer city than Chicago. "Where would I rather be turned around at 3 o'clock in the morning?" he said. As Magary points out, Romney, though a Mormon, hails from Boston.

The Robertsons are outspoken about their Christian faith (each episode of "Duck Dynasty" ends with a prayer) and have also campaigned for Republicans, but their show, a hit in red and blue states alike, is largely nonpolitical and has so far carefully avoided issues such as race and gay rights.

The "Duck Dynasty" star also released his own statement to Fox411 on Wednesday, saying, in part, "I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Copyright © 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC

I feel like it's a surprising move, given the ratings of the show, but I applaud it. People - mostly Christians, of course - are bashing the move, crying "What ever happened to FREE SPEECH??!? He was just expressing his views! His opinions! He's being persecuted because he's a Christian! NOT COOL, A&E!!!"

Well, yes, people have the right to free speech, but at the same time, shouldn't one express those views in a responsible manner? In a way that might be SENSITIVE to an entire group of people?? And expression of speech can carry consequences and from a public relations standpoint, I certainly don't blame A&E from wanting to distance themselves from this man and his borderline hate speech.

What do you think, fellow JBers? was this a good move on the part of A&E?

P.S. I am a Christian by the way, and i am most turned off by his remarks that homosexuals have no place in the kingdom of God. I mean think about it - Homosexuals are marginalized. And a major feature of Jesus' project was solidarity with the marginalized. What kind of church are we modeling when we work to exclude ANYONE from "membership"? Okay, I'm not seeking to make a religious argument here, but I felt like that had to be said. Not all Christians are haters...

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:11 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) SUSPENDED
Wow, Robertson is definitely a lowlife(and probably racist) piece of shit, and I see Palin has gotten even more brain-dead(which I didn't think was humanely possible). I think A&E absolutely did the right thing by distancing themselves from that asshole, if you ask me he should be fired.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:55 pm
Producer

I have no idea what Duck Dynasty is, but people really need to learn that the Bill of Rights applies to government actions, and that applying the First Amendment argument to the actions of private citizens or corporations rather misses the point. You could argue that the value of unrestricted speech is a part of our social contract, but then, so is respecting the equality of others.

Anyway, if I owned a business and I felt that one of my employees was personally offending me and represented my business in a way that I disapproved off, I would take action and I'd be within my right to do so.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:36 pm
Cinematographer

I've only seen two episodes of the show and didn't much like it. Both parties are properly standing by their beliefs and I see no wrong. I hope the family can take their show elsewhere and continue to offer whatever it is that their fans like without having to compromise their beliefs.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:25 am
Auteur

CasualDad wrote:
I've only seen two episodes of the show and didn't much like it. Both parties are properly standing by their beliefs and I see no wrong. I hope the family can take their show elsewhere and continue to offer whatever it is that their fans like without having to compromise their beliefs.

Sometimes a persons "beliefs" are so beyond crazy that there's nothing commendable about standing by them(see the Westboro Baptist Church) Phil is truly delusional if he thinks blacks were never mistreated during the civil rights era(guess he never heard of Emmet Til) that and his totally backwards attitude towards gay people makes me hope nobody hires him.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:10 pm
Cinematographer

Since he has no governmental authority it doesn't matter whether or not his beliefs are commendable as long as he's not advocating or inciting violence. He said what he said and A&E responded. Others who are offended are free to tune him out and boycott his products and sponsors if they wish.

I have a feeling that, much like Chick Fil A, he will come out ahead financially if he even cares. From what little I've heard he's set financially and doesn't much care.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:43 pm
Second Unit Director

I'm not convinced the people supporting him have actually read the words he said. READ THEM, THEY'RE CRAZY.

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:55 am
Cinematographer

I have relatives "liking" pages on Facebook such as "Bring Back Phil Robertson" and "Stand With Phil Robertson" and "Boycott A&E Until Phil Robertson Is Put Back On Duck Dynasty". I'm ashamed to be related to them.

Worse still is those pages have hundreds of thousands, even millions, of people "liking" them. Crazy world we live in.

Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I'm so tired of the media blowing shit out of proportion.

Paula Deen getting blasted like she did. (I've met her and am very good friends with her granddaughter...she's actually a pretty awesome lady).

Chick-Fil-A's Truit Cathy getting blasted for disagreeing with homos. Good thing he owned his own company so nobody could suspend him. People actually tried to boycott the absolute gold standard of a fast food franchise, because it's owner disagreed with a group of people. In Auburn, the line to get chick-fil-a the next day was literally backed up a half-mile all the way to "gay street." Yes, that actually happened.

NBA player Roy Hibbert getting fined $75 thousand fucking dollars for saying "no homo" in a press conference.

And now this.

Political correctness is killing this country. If I was famous, I would constantly be scared of saying something wrong in front of a camera. I would just learn to say "no comment" no matter what question was asked to me, and I would never do interviews...That would literally be the only way not to offend someone this day and age. I know there are some Loius C. K. fans on this board, and I bet you all laughed out loud when he talked about calling people faggots for being faggots, and not because they liked to take it in the ass.

Vexer wrote:
Wow, Robertson is definitely a lowlife(and probably racist) piece of shit

You know he is a lowlife piece of shit because he doesn't agree with homosexuality... I don't agree with it either. I certainly don't hate gay people; I will be nice and civil and what they want to do is there business...and a homosexual should enjoy every single right that I enjoy, but the thought of a guy blowing another guy, or having sex with another guy freaks me the hell out, just as it probably freaks Phil out.

That makes me a bad guy? Then so be it.

Last edited by roastbeef_ajus on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:38 pm
Auteur

You mean "BITE it" not "BIT it" :lol: Also it's Dan Cathy not Truit, and "gold standard" my ass, their food is nothing special.

Paula Deen is a closet racist, I don't care how nice she was to you.

Phil is still a jackass, and this has nothing to do with "political correctness" A&E is will within their rights to control what Robertson says since he is representing the network(it's the same reason why people get fired for posting pictures of themselves drinking on Facebook)

Didn't hear about the Roy Hibbert thing but the NBA has the right to tell the players what they can and cannot say since they are representing the organization, so I really don't feel sorry for Roy at all, 75,000 dollars is like chump change to him anyways.

I personally do not find Louis C.K. all that funny, and I didn't laugh at his "faggots" bit, I fail to see how that was supposed to be funny. I'm certainly not overly PC myself though as I find Carlos Mencia hilarious and he's anything but PC.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:43 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Also it's Dan Cathy not Truit, and "gold standard" my ass, their food is nothing special.

Actually it is very much the gold standard. Ask anyone in the food service (fast food) industry. Chick-fil-A is the pinnacle. They will always have the cleanest facilities and the nicest and most respectful employees, because it starts from the group up and is built into their mission statement. The process to even be selected to open one is incredibly hard and strenuous. The owner also must be the operator and absolutely believe in what he is doing. In all my years at going to one, I have always been told to have a wonderful day, and actually believed the employee was sincere.

Vexer wrote:
Paula Deen is a closet racist, I don't care how nice she was to you

Why is she is a closet racist? Because she said under oath (she didn't lie, which she could have to avoid the whole thing which tells me she has moral character) that "she wanted little n*ggers to dress up in white tuxedos for a traditional southern wedding.?" You do understand the culture she was raised in don't you? She also was held up at gun point by a black man at the bank she worked at before she became famous. That very same black man was actually interviewed and said he was sorry he robbed her.

I go to a christmas party every year (every dec. 23rd) in my southern town where black employees dressed in traditional white tuxedos (who have been working for the same prominent family for generations) bar tend and serve the guests. Are we all racist?

Every time I am on the golf course and hit an errant shot, I will call myself a stupid faggot or n*gger for hitting a bad shot. I have done it in front of my black friends and not only do they not care, but they laugh at me for hitting a terrible shot.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:10 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
I'm not convinced the people supporting him have actually read the words he said. READ THEM, THEY'RE CRAZY.

All I've read is what was posted here. The remarks about homosexuals are pretty much in line with mainstream Christian belief, so I don't see why people are acting suprised that a person who says he's a Christian expresses them.

The idea that blacks weren't mistreated in the South before the Civil Rights Act is, well, I might say silly rather than crazy, but yeah. Not sure if it's racism, or just him seeing his childhood through rose-colored glasses.

Again, all I've read is the quotes posted here, so he may have said other stuff that has caused the reaction.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:42 am
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Also it's Dan Cathy not Truit, and "gold standard" my ass, their food is nothing special.

Actually it is very much the gold standard. Ask anyone in the food service (fast food) industry. Chick-fil-A is the pinnacle. They will always have the cleanest facilities and the nicest and most respectful employees, because it starts from the group up and is built into their mission statement. The process to even be selected to open one is incredibly hard and strenuous. The owner also must be the operator and absolutely believe in what he is doing. In all my years at going to one, I have always been told to have a wonderful day, and actually believed the employee was sincere.

Vexer wrote:
Paula Deen is a closet racist, I don't care how nice she was to you

Why is she is a closet racist? Because she said under oath (she didn't lie, which she could have to avoid the whole thing which tells me she has moral character) that "she wanted little n*ggers to dress up in white tuxedos for a traditional southern wedding.?" You do understand the culture she was raised in don't you? She also was held up at gun point by a black man at the bank she worked at before she became famous. That very same black man was actually interviewed and said he was sorry he robbed her.

I go to a christmas party every year (every dec. 23rd) in my southern town where black employees dressed in traditional white tuxedos (who have been working for the same prominent family for generations) bar tend and serve the guests. Are we all racist?

Every time I am on the golf course and hit an errant shot, I will call myself a stupid faggot or n*gger for hitting a bad shot. I have done it in front of my black friends and not only do they not care, but they laugh at me for hitting a terrible shot.

If you're black friends aren't offended then good for them, but that dosen't necessarily mean that this sort of plantation wedding is not offensive or racist to other people.

Still not impressed by Chik-Fil-A, all the fast-food joints i've been to have had friendly staff, that just goes without saying. They're not bad but I personally prefer Taco Bell.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:07 am
Second Unit Director

What did I do...completely hault the convo?..probably

Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:01 am
Cinematographer

A redneck said redneck things, and while I get that it's offensive, I can't really get all that worked up about it. I'd never even heard of this show and this guy until this incident happened, which means that right off the bat there was way too much attention directed to it. Also, if A&E were worried enough about losing revenue due to this redneck's remarks, one has to wonder why they even put a show like this onto their channel to begin with. Not too smart of them, I'd say.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:34 am
Auteur

I think it was very smart of them to do this as they were only doing their jobs, they couldn't very well just say nothing, as that would only garner them more publicity. These articles sum it up pretty well:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/12/19/1263945/-Don-t-Forget-Duck-Dynasty-s-Racist-Remarks?detail=email

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/12/20/1264135/-My-Facebook-Note-Re-Phil-Robertson?detail=email

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:53 pm
Second Unit Director

What in the holy fuck is dailykos? Sounds like a liberal hippy shit show.

Here is a black man's take on the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgibx_lHLXQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUgtfsmSwgsEBqlPOeU6tokg

Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:01 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
What in the holy fuck is dailykos? Sounds like a liberal hippy shit show.

Here is a black man's take on the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgibx_lHLXQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUgtfsmSwgsEBqlPOeU6tokg

It's a site with very intelligent individuals, FOX news is the real shit show.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:27 pm
Second Unit Director

It doesn't matter. With Robertson not backing down, having the support of the other cast members, and the support of everyone who watches the show...A&E will cave.

Also, Robertson does not need revenue from the show. He founded a multi-million dollar company with a patent on duck calls for duck hunting back in the 70s. If anything, the sales on his products would see a spike if he was fired or the show got canceled.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:30 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
It doesn't matter. With Robertson not backing down, having tNot everyone who watches the show supports he support of the other cast members, and the support of everyone who watches the show...A&E will cave.

Also, Robertson does not need revenue from the show. He founded a multi-million dollar company with a patent on duck calls for duck hunting back in the 70s. If anything, the sales on his products would see a spike if he was fired or the show got canceled.

Newsflash, not everyone who watches the show supports Robertson's asinine statements, so the idea that A&E is going to "cave" is wishful thinking and downright laughable, they'd receive a tremendous backlash if they did something that spineless.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:14 pm