Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:18 pm

Hart of Dixie 
Producer

Post Hart of Dixie
My Wife has just started the second series of this truly dreadful piece of television.

Where to start. That bird from (I think) the OC (Rachel Bilson) is about as convincing a doctor as Russell Crowe would be a transvestite. The whole thing is just a shallow, vacuous scam of a TV show. A borderline defamation of simple-minded and ambitionless southern folk; and for that matter preening, vain, humourless and heartless, northern city sophisticates, like "Dr" Zoe Hart. The completely lacking in self-awareness abuse of over-emotion that was made respectable by Grey's Anatomy is now put into warp speed.

This last episode I watched was probably the worst yet, and they're all bad. It centred around a love triangle that could have (and possibly was) written by someone who was fast asleep at the time. Our plucky, and almost completely unlikeable Zoe, is stuck between a handsome huckster country bad-boy whose name escapes me but who often "goes shirtless"; and your stereotypical good-hearted yet socially feckless doormat country bumpkin, called George.

She apparently likes the latter but can't stop herself having sex with the former. It's fucking poor, low-brow, cringe-inducing stuff, and a typical 1 hour episode (call it 40 minutes when adjusted for commercial breaks) typically has about 5 minutes worth of (stretched beyond breaking point) material.

In an age where series’ has made for some outstanding and profound stuff (Breaking Bad and 6 Feet Under spring to mind), Hart of Dixie looks like a calculated and aggressive piece of systematic expectation lowering. It’s heartless, patronising, clichéd, dull, humourless, unsexy, and almost entirely built on stereotypes.

Hellish. Avoid at all costs!

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:12 am
Auteur

Post Re: Hart of Dixie
I've seen previews of this and it does look bad, I admittedly did like some shows on the CW(like One Tree Hill) but i'm surprised this show is still on.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 am