Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:33 am

Shows That Deserve To Be Cancelled? 
Post Shows That Deserve To Be Cancelled?
Enough of this mushy gratitude to shows that are long gone, how about some attitude for the stinkers who remain on TV?

I have a good thread-starter - 24! This may be the definitive 'slowly dying' television show of the decade. What was once clever, and even brilliant in a few ways, is now messy and unfocused, a parody of it's old self. I don't know when this show jumped shark (some say it was either in mid-Season 5 or all of season 6), but it has Fonzie'd it's way into the abyss of TV land. It needs to go 'bye'.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:33 pm
Post Re: Shows That Deserve To Be Cancelled?
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Enough of this mushy gratitude to shows that are long gone, how about some attitude for the stinkers who remain on TV?

I have a good thread-starter - 24! This may be the definitive 'slowly dying' television show of the decade. What was once clever, and even brilliant in a few ways, is now messy and unfocused, a parody of it's old self. I don't know when this show jumped shark (some say it was either in mid-Season 5 or all of season 6), but it has Fonzie'd it's way into the abyss of TV land. It needs to go 'bye'.

Allow me to disagree with you. Yes, season six was not that good. But season seven (so far) has been quite good. So I say give it at least another year after this one.

Have you ever watched the American version of Kath and Kim? One of the worst shows I've ever seen. Yet it hasn't been canceled yet.

Others:
The Hills
Family Guy. This one is painful. Before it was canceled, this was one of the best shows on TV. And the first few seasons after coming back were decent. But now, it's just embarrassingly bad. Seth MacFarlane should have pulled the plug by now.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:52 pm
As good as it was back when it started, I think it's time to put the Simpsons to rest. I mean, it's been on for almost 20 years. That's a long freaking time, the best episodes were all produced more than 10 years ago. I was in 4th grade when the show started and now I've almost gotten married twice. It has to end at some point...

I also really hate According to Jim... glad it's going away soon.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:50 pm
Any and every "reality" tv show. Especially American Idol. These shows are snagging viewership and thus taking the money from other much more dignified shows. Oh and I know it's supposedly finishing but ER should have canceled forever ago. I just don't like seeing the commercials for it while I'm watching the Office.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:11 pm
Grey's Anatomy deserved to be canned even before two of the main actors left.

The Simpsons hasn't been a show since early this decade.

Now, I'm not 100% sure it will be, but True Blood doesn't deserve to be renewed, in my opinion. Unless it makes some serious strides in the second season, I find it underwhelming.

ER deserved to but shut down by the time the new decade dawned. This is overtime, majorly.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:08 pm
Eastenders. All soaps, in fact. Hate 'em.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:02 pm
Dollhouse needs to be shelved and reworked so Joss Whedon can have time to remember what made his writing and characters unique.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:42 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Dollhouse needs to be shelved and reworked so Joss Whedon can have time to remember what made his writing and characters unique.

I'm with you so far.
Tonight's episode is supposed to be the make-it-or-break it one though, so I'm hoping for the best.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:55 pm
majoraphasia wrote:

I'll agree with this one, and I'll also concur with "The Simpsons". It now does god-awful in the ratings, but Fox is still willing to put it on life support. Why? Because supposedly it will keep the franchise (which makes a load of cash) alive. Personally, I'd rather have them cancel the show, and focus on making a series of feature films since the last one didn't turn out so bad. Imagine if they weren't making a show at the same time? It would keep the franchise alive without wrecking the show any further.

Another couple are "American Idol" and "Dancing With the Stars". These are two shows created straight from the devil. Both are mindless ratings crushers which do nothing but destroy competition and allow good shows to be cancelled, mostly because other networks think they can beat it. At least the former focuses on new talent, while the latter is outright idiotic. Why millions tune in to see has-beens and athletes embarrass themselves is a mystery. Ugh, a world that's perfect would be one without these two on the air.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:40 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

There's been plotholes galore this season, many of them absolutely gaping. My willing suspension of disbelief finally gave up the ghost and I stopped watching when all sorts of Deux ex Machinas enabled that assassin guy to sneak into that hospital room undetected, kill the traitorious SS agent, and frame Jack. And everybody (except Chloe and FBI Agent Ginger) seem convinced of Jack's guilt-2 hours after he was in a locked room with the President-and did her no harm at all. This show just pisses me off to no end with the sloppy, make-it-up-as-we-go writing.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:34 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I don't know when this show jumped shark (some say it was either in mid-Season 5 or all of season 6), but it has Fonzie'd it's way into the abyss of TV land. It needs to go 'bye'.

Try Season 3. I can't remember my exact reaction, but Kim working at CTU is one of the most unbelievable things I have ever seen for any TV show ever. This includes the cougar from season 2, and that says a lot.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:59 pm
I dunno if they should cancel all "reality shows". Do shows like Dirty Jobs or Mythbusters fall under that definition?

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:39 am
Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters are more "informational" shows than reality, and I agree that they are both good shows. I meant shows like Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, Wife Swap, Nanny 911, and of course American Idol

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:25 pm
timgoens wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I don't know when this show jumped shark (some say it was either in mid-Season 5 or all of season 6), but it has Fonzie'd it's way into the abyss of TV land. It needs to go 'bye'.

Try Season 3. I can't remember my exact reaction, but Kim working at CTU is one of the most unbelievable things I have ever seen for any TV show ever. This includes the cougar from season 2, and that says a lot.

What can I say? I think TV shows have a certain lifeline, and most of them, due to the structure of the businesses they inhabit, live much longer than is necessary. It's even arguable that Arrested Development's brilliance and consistency had alot to do with it's hours being scaled back by the season - which made season 2 and 3 leaner and more effective than the intial season (although the actor's familiarity with their roles didn't hurt, either).

It's like a movie that runs over three hours - it's not a matter of patience, but whether or not the storyline justifies it. This is not an event which occurs vey often, and yet we have numerous three hour films and series which run over 5 seasons.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:58 pm
The Simpsons, easily. Compare 2000s Simpsons to '90s Simpsons. It isn't even the same show.

House, M.D. It's been in "wait 'n' see mode" for almost two seasons now. Not good.

Smallville. They really blew at the beginning of season four, and the show has been limping ever since.

Family Guy. There seem to be two camps: those who think it hasn't been funny since its resurrection, and those who think it was never funny. I'm pretty much in the latter.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:05 pm
Ken wrote:
The Simpsons, easily. Compare 2000s Simpsons to '90s Simpsons. It isn't even the same show.

This gets my vote too. The Simpsons at its peak in the early to mid-90s was one of the greatest TV shows, and episodes from back then are still top-notch. That was over a decade ago, though, and in the time since then it's turned into a weak and embarrassing imitation of what the show once was.

Oh yeah, and all the 'get a bunch of people together and watch them argue and get eliminated' reality shows need the axe as well. I can't believe episodes of Survivor are still being made. Time for this horse to be put out to pasture.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:52 pm
domani wrote:
Ken wrote:

This gets my vote too. The Simpsons at its peak in the early to mid-90s was one of the greatest TV shows, and episodes from back then are still top-notch. That was over a decade ago, though, and in the time since then it's turned into a weak and embarrassing imitation of what the show once was.

Oh yeah, and all the 'get a bunch of people together and watch them argue and get eliminated' reality shows need the axe as well. I can't believe episodes of Survivor are still being made. Time for this horse to be put out to pasture.

The Simpson could have been taken out back and shot in the head after season 9. When Scully took things over the whole affair became a grotesque pantomime of everything that it was during its brief golden era of seasons 4 - 8. When Family Guy came to the air in 1999 The Simpsons writers took it as a cue to shove a guest star in every episode, drop the b-stories, and add as many pop culture references as they could into the 20 minutes they had. When people ask "Remember when The Simpsons was funny?" the answer gets nearer to "no" with every new episode.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:10 pm
Only 16 posts? You're telling me you guys don't have enough vitriol for two pages, at least?

Come on, I'm sure there's more bitterness in your memory reservoir than that. Especially with crap like The Biggest Loser still garnering ratings.

P.S. - Losing weight is very simple if you were the one who gained it (i.e. not pregnancy, which is mostly out of your hands). Why make a show about it?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:08 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Only 16 posts? You're telling me you guys don't have enough vitriol for two pages, at least?

Are you telling us that someone is going to have your knees broken if 20 posts don't roll in? Blink your eyes twice for yes, thrice for no.

Anyway. Having never seen either the original or American version of The Office means I've no idea whether it should stay or go. Without fail, every Friday morning, I hear at least 8 seperate conversations about certain scenes, exchanges, and someone's delivery. This doesn't inspire vitriol, exactly, but it can inspire something akin to amazement that the nuances of this show can be analyzed for 30-45 minutes. Not since Buffy the Vampire Slayer have I heard people talk about the philosophy of a television show.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:13 pm
I'll get in on this...

I agree with the reality show comments. I've never been a fan of those. Last week I fell asleep in front of the TV. When I woke up, American Idol was on and it made me feel dirty. If anyone came into the room, they would have thought that I liked that show. The horror! I don't really get into Mythbusters, but shows of that nature should definitely stay on the air...they would be a good network replacement for reality.

Simpsons...I have to politely disagree with the consensus. Yes, the best episodes were long ago (Homer The Great, Homer's Enemy, etc), but this show still has the ability to be funny. I still make it a point to watch each new episode and I really think that they have picked it up lately. They are faster paced now which I think is their largest hindrance. I think that eventually Al Jean will move on and we'll see what a new show runner can do (fingers crossed for John Schwartzwelder).

Family Guy - Still makes me laugh, but I can take it or leave it.

24 - I still watch it. And I'll watch it next year. Regardless of how ridiculous it gets, Jack Bauer is an American icon these days.

The Office - I love The Office. That said, they need to get back to formula or plan their exit. I'll watch every mediocre episode they pump out, but I miss the days when I cared a whole lot more.

That's really it. I can think of shows that should not be cancelled, but not any others that should be. Unless you include the entire MTV lineup...

Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:21 am