Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:40 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How I Met Your Mother 
Author Message
Post How I Met Your Mother
So yeah, I know not everyone likes this particular show, but it happens to be my favorite sitcom... probably ever. It's usually funny, occasionally witty, and very well-constructed. Neil Patrick Harris is awesome, and every episode, even the lamest ones, usually has something worthwhile - although I must admit this last season had more than a couple of duds.

Anyway, do we have any other fan of this show around here? =)


Tue May 29, 2012 8:31 pm
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
Well it's certainly not my favorite sitcom, but it's enjoyable enough, though to be honest i'm surprised it's managed to last this long.


Wed May 30, 2012 12:50 am
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
My favorite sitcom with laugh tracks. I liked the chemistry between these people, and the overall arc is solid (even if lately getting long-winded). And it also can get creative, interesting, or profound quite well. The musical, the one where they traveled different paths for the same destination, and the one I still remember is the all-too-real "I would have stolen you a whole orchestra" season two finale.

Just bump this because it'll be returning in a few days.


Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:59 am
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 235
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
I fancy alysin hannigan


Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 361
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
If you actually invest your time in it it gets funnier. When I was first exposed to it I didn't find it very funny, and I found the relationships and acting to be awkward. Once I learned the characters it got loads funnier.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:32 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 419
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
Agree with Gedmud. There are some great character arcs in HIMYM. Most of them go from just-out-of-college annoyances to really well developed characters. But the best would certainly be Barney Stinson. Unlike similar characters like Joey in Friends who remained the same doofus till the end of the show, Barney's character arc has been a revelation in HIMYM. His growth as someone with absolutely no morals to someone who's ready to commit to one woman was brilliantly written. There are hints dropped right from the first season that he isn't happy with who he has turned out to be, but with seasons 6, 7, and 8, the show really wrote some great stuff around him. It has gotten to a point where most of the show's die-hards don't really care about the identity of the mother anymore.

Marshal (Jason Segel) and Lily (Alyson Hannigan) keep the show grounded in reality. Some of their individual moments are really touching. The only real character assassination so far has been Robin (Cobie Smulders) in the current season. To tell the truth, most of the material in the 8th season has been unfunny, bordering on crude jokes sometimes. But it has had its moments and the revelation of a key relationship has arguably been the show's highest point. They're also slowly trying to bring the "mother" into play, so that also means the show's getting wrapped up pretty soon.

It is interesting to hear that the show has been renewed for a ninth season. I honestly don't think there's enough material left for one full season. The ideal thing to do would've been to wrap it up with Eighth Season. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:14 am
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3985
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
Joey actually did evolve in his spin-off show, too bad it didn't last long.

Also the creators said season 9 is going to be the last one, I personally like the crude humor and don't think Robin's character was "assasinated"


Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:33 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 419
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
Vexer wrote:
Joey actually did evolve in his spin-off show, too bad it didn't last long.
I've seen bits and pieces of that and they were absolutely terrible. So no surprises that it didn't last long. Joey's character on its own was never strong enough, and this applies to all characters in Friends, it is just the way with sitcoms that you put enough oddball characters together, you get a lot of funny situations from them.

Vexer wrote:
Also the creators said season 9 is going to be the last one, I personally like the crude humor and don't think Robin's character was "assasinated"
I totally disliked the crude humor of the first almost 10 episodes of HIMYM Season 8. And I definitely felt that Robin's character had been assassinated in the first few episodes. A lot of HIMYM fanatics did. However, the key revelation I spoke about in the earlier para helped make much more sense of her behavior up to that point this season. She's been normal ever since. But I still feel it should've been done better. She was terribly annoying in the earlier episodes this seaosn.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Online
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1435
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
The showrunners hinted that Season 9 will be a departure in style or something, saying that after the series finished, if you happened to come across the season's episodes, you can immediately tell it's from Season 9. That made a lot of people speculate that

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Season 9 will be told from the mother's point of view.


Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 419
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
peng wrote:
The showrunners hinted that Season 9 will be a departure in style or something, saying that after the series finished, if you happened to come across the season's episodes, you can immediately tell it's from Season 9. That made a lot of people speculate that

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Season 9 will be told from the mother's point of view.
That does sound interesting. And I expect some gimmick like that is the only thing that can keep the show running into the Ninth. Because as much as I am a huge fan of the show, I cannot stand one more season of close calls until Ted finally rides off into the sunset with the "mother."

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3985
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Joey actually did evolve in his spin-off show, too bad it didn't last long.
I've seen bits and pieces of that and they were absolutely terrible. So no surprises that it didn't last long. Joey's character on its own was never strong enough, and this applies to all characters in Friends, it is just the way with sitcoms that you put enough oddball characters together, you get a lot of funny situations from them.

Vexer wrote:
Also the creators said season 9 is going to be the last one, I personally like the crude humor and don't think Robin's character was "assasinated"
I totally disliked the crude humor of the first almost 10 episodes of HIMYM Season 8. And I definitely felt that Robin's character had been assassinated in the first few episodes. A lot of HIMYM fanatics did. However, the key revelation I spoke about in the earlier para helped make much more sense of her behavior up to that point this season. She's been normal ever since. But I still feel it should've been done better. She was terribly annoying in the earlier episodes this seaosn.

Well i'm not a "fanatic" myself, so that's probably why I didn't agree. Also you should really watch the whole series of Joey and not just bits and pieces of it, as I feel that dosen't really give you an accurate representation of it. I thought he was plenty strong enough to carry the show, the show mainly got cancelled because NBC was stupid enough to schedule it alongside American Idol, where it had pretty much no chance.


Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:06 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 419
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
Vexer wrote:
Also you should really watch the whole series of Joey and not just bits and pieces of it, as I feel that dosen't really give you an accurate representation of it. I thought he was plenty strong enough to carry the show, the show mainly got cancelled because NBC was stupid enough to schedule it alongside American Idol, where it had pretty much no chance.
Fair Enough! I'll give it a try as I think Friends is one of my favorite TV shows of all time.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 734
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
Vexer wrote:
I thought he was plenty strong enough to carry the show, the show mainly got cancelled because NBC was stupid enough to schedule it alongside American Idol, where it had pretty much no chance.


That's just plain untrue. The first season the show aired on Thursdays at 8pm, the former time slot of Friends. It had 18 million viewers for the premiere and ended up with around 8 million for the finale. It was horribly received by critics and audiences were turning away in droves. The second season had even lower ratings in the same time slot. You have to remember that Thursday nights at 8pm was the marquee time slot for NBC. They had a show that was obviously failing in one of their cash cow time slots.

So, they moved the show opposite American Idol for ONE week, and even less people watched, so the show was cancelled for good. It was cancelled because no one watched, and that was because it was horrible (I watched a good bit of the first season just to see how bad it was). To say it failed because NBC put it up against American Idol is just completely untrue.

This is at least the third time in the last few days that someone has had to correct you on saying something blatantly incorrect. Step it up, Vex.

As for HIMYM, my girlfriend and I have gone through the show on Netflix (and the current season on Amazon) over the past few months. I really enjoy it. It's a bit too sitcom-y for me at times, but it's has an interesting structure, is mostly funny, and the stories are genuinely well told and written. It rises enough above the usual dreck found in sitcoms to have my interest. I'll pay attention to the end.


Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:52 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3985
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
PeachyPete wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I thought he was plenty strong enough to carry the show, the show mainly got cancelled because NBC was stupid enough to schedule it alongside American Idol, where it had pretty much no chance.


That's just plain untrue. The first season the show aired on Thursdays at 8pm, the former time slot of Friends. It had 18 million viewers for the premiere and ended up with around 8 million for the finale. It was horribly received by critics and audiences were turning away in droves. The second season had even lower ratings in the same time slot. You have to remember that Thursday nights at 8pm was the marquee time slot for NBC. They had a show that was obviously failing in one of their cash cow time slots.

So, they moved the show opposite American Idol for ONE week, and even less people watched, so the show was cancelled for good. It was cancelled because no one watched, and that was because it was horrible (I watched a good bit of the first season just to see how bad it was). To say it failed because NBC put it up against American Idol is just completely untrue.

This is at least the third time in the last few days that someone has had to correct you on saying something blatantly incorrect. Step it up, Vex.

As for HIMYM, my girlfriend and I have gone through the show on Netflix (and the current season on Amazon) over the past few months. I really enjoy it. It's a bit too sitcom-y for me at times, but it's has an interesting structure, is mostly funny, and the stories are genuinely well told and written. It rises enough above the usual dreck found in sitcoms to have my interest. I'll pay attention to the end.
I'm not "blatantly incorrect" :roll: not every critic hated the show, EW gave it quite a bit of praise actually and obviously people did like it, otherwise it wouldn't have been renewed for another season, it wasn't "horrible" at all(did you even watch it?), the show was doing fairly well during the 2nd seaosn until the time-slot switch, so why don't you "step it up"? Oh and you want horrible? Try watching ABC's short-lived cross-dressing sitcom "Work It", you'd be very hard pressed to find a worse TV show then that one.


Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:23 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 734
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
Vexer wrote:
I'm not "blatantly incorrect" :roll: not every critic hated the show, EW gave it quite a bit of praise actually and obviously people did like it, otherwise it wouldn't have been renewed for another season, it wasn't "horrible" at all(did you even watch it?), the show was doing fairly well during the 2nd seaosn until the time-slot switch, so why don't you "step it up"? Oh and you want horrible? Try watching ABC's short-lived cross-dressing sitcom "Work It", you'd be very hard pressed to find a worse TV show then that one.


Here's the Wikipedia page that explains everything I already did as to why you're wrong. If you don't believe the facts when I give them to you, maybe you will when you read them on a website.

The show's cancellation had nothing to do with American Idol, which is why you say the show was cancelled. It was against American Idol for one week after the show had been placed on hiatus for having poor ratings in another time slot.

I mean, Jesus Christ dude, the show is only remembered for being a gigantic flop. You can like it, that's fine. Just don't try to act like the show wasn't given a fair shake by NBC. They gave it their prime time slot and it failed. They tried to move it and it did worse. Most people thought it was terrible (again, I watched a bunch of the first season and hated it) as evidenced by it's falling ratings in Season 1, lower ratings in Season 2, eventual cancellation, and the majority of critic reviews.

You're literally the only person I've ever encountered that has something positive to say about the show. Again, that's fine if you like it, just don't try to spin it and say the show was unfairly maligned and more people actually liked it than did. Your opinion is in the extreme minority here. Which, again, is fine.


Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:41 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3985
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
PeachyPete wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I'm not "blatantly incorrect" :roll: not every critic hated the show, EW gave it quite a bit of praise actually and obviously people did like it, otherwise it wouldn't have been renewed for another season, it wasn't "horrible" at all(did you even watch it?), the show was doing fairly well during the 2nd seaosn until the time-slot switch, so why don't you "step it up"? Oh and you want horrible? Try watching ABC's short-lived cross-dressing sitcom "Work It", you'd be very hard pressed to find a worse TV show then that one.


Here's the Wikipedia page that explains everything I already did as to why you're wrong. If you don't believe the facts when I give them to you, maybe you will when you read them on a website.

The show's cancellation had nothing to do with American Idol, which is why you say the show was cancelled. It was against American Idol for one week after the show had been placed on hiatus for having poor ratings in another time slot.

I mean, Jesus Christ dude, the show is only remembered for being a gigantic flop. You can like it, that's fine. Just don't try to act like the show wasn't given a fair shake by NBC. They gave it their prime time slot and it failed. They tried to move it and it did worse. Most people thought it was terrible (again, I watched a bunch of the first season and hated it) as evidenced by it's falling ratings in Season 1, lower ratings in Season 2, eventual cancellation, and the majority of critic reviews.

You're literally the only person I've ever encountered that has something positive to say about the show. Again, that's fine if you like it, just don't try to spin it and say the show was unfairly maligned and more people actually liked it than did. Your opinion is in the extreme minority here. Which, again, is fine.

I could've sworn it was more then 1 week, anyways I wouldn't exactly call the show a "flop" seeing as it lasted more then 1 season, a flop TV show would be something that only lasted 1 season and was a ratings disaster from the start, like say Cop Rock. The show didn't "fail" at first(in what world is an 18 million rated premiere a flop? :? ), sure the ratings dropped, but they were still high enough to justify getting renewed, so while the show wasn't a massive hit, it wasn't exactly a total flop either.

Just because you've never met someone who didn't like the show dosen't mean those people don't exist, i've never met anyone who liked Tyler Perry's House Of Payne(which I do like) but the show was on the air for several seasons, so obviously some people did like it, i know plenty of people who like Joey, so i'm not exactly in the "extreme" minority(check out the forum Television Without Pity if you don't believe me), i'm not trying to "spin" anything :roll: If anybody's doing that, it's you, whether the show was "unfairly maligned" or not is a matter of opinion, and I believed it was, but if you don't that's fine too.


Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:51 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 734
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
Vexer wrote:
I could've sworn it was more then 1 week


Nope, it was one week. That's why I called bullshit on your incorrect point that the show was only cancelled because it was put up against American Idol. As I said, that was plain wrong. It was a failing show before that.

Vexer wrote:
anyways I wouldn't exactly call the show a "flop" seeing as it lasted more then 1 season, a flop TV show would be something that only lasted 1 season and was a ratings disaster from the start, like say Cop Rock. The show didn't "fail" at first(in what world is an 18 million rated premiere a flop? :? ), sure the ratings dropped, but they were still high enough to justify getting renewed, so while the show wasn't a massive hit, it wasn't exactly a total flop either.


I'd say when a show is given the best time slot possible, a second season it didn't deserve (the ratings at the end of the first and into the second aren't all that different, so if it deserved renewal in the first place, there would be no reason to cancel it for holding similar ratings), and is a spinoff of one of the most popular shows ever, yet still manages to get cancelled halfway through the first season, it's a pretty big flop. No one expected much out of the nonsense examples you've given, but people expected Joey to be a hit. That makes a big difference.

Friends was getting 20+ million viewers in its final season. After Joey's initial surge from being a spinoff to a popular show, it was getting 7-8 million in the same time slot. That's obviously awful and something the network couldn't just let keep happening.

Vexer wrote:
Just because you've never met someone who didn't like the show dosen't mean those people don't exist, i've never met anyone who liked Tyler Perry's House Of Payne(which I do like) but the show was on the air for several seasons, so obviously some people did like it, i know plenty of people who like Joey, so i'm not exactly in the "extreme" minority(check out the forum Television Without Pity if you don't believe me), i'm not trying to "spin" anything :roll: If anybody's doing that, it's you, whether the show was "unfairly maligned" or not is a matter of opinion, and I believed it was, but if you don't that's fine too.


None of this matters. I don't care if you liked the show, and it doesn't matter if I liked the show. The facts are the facts - no one watched the show despite it being given every possible chance to succeed. It's remembered as pretty bad. Just because some people liked it doesn't change that. There are plenty of unwatched shows that were cancelled that have been remembered as good, just not Joey.

You're a frustrating person to debate with, Vex. I don't know why you have to keep inventing reasons as to why the show was given unfair treatment. It wasn't. You liked the show, and that's good for you. I just don't know why you can't admit that you liked a show that failed and is remembered as bad. It's ridiculous to just keep making up incorrect reasons as to why the show failed.


Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:57 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3985
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
PeachyPete wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I could've sworn it was more then 1 week


Nope, it was one week. That's why I called bullshit on your incorrect point that the show was only cancelled because it was put up against American Idol. As I said, that was plain wrong. It was a failing show before that.

Vexer wrote:
anyways I wouldn't exactly call the show a "flop" seeing as it lasted more then 1 season, a flop TV show would be something that only lasted 1 season and was a ratings disaster from the start, like say Cop Rock. The show didn't "fail" at first(in what world is an 18 million rated premiere a flop? :? ), sure the ratings dropped, but they were still high enough to justify getting renewed, so while the show wasn't a massive hit, it wasn't exactly a total flop either.


I'd say when a show is given the best time slot possible, a second season it didn't deserve (the ratings at the end of the first and into the second aren't all that different, so if it deserved renewal in the first place, there would be no reason to cancel it for holding similar ratings), and is a spinoff of one of the most popular shows ever, yet still manages to get cancelled halfway through the first season, it's a pretty big flop. No one expected much out of the nonsense examples you've given, but people expected Joey to be a hit. That makes a big difference.

Friends was getting 20+ million viewers in its final season. After Joey's initial surge from being a spinoff to a popular show, it was getting 7-8 million in the same time slot. That's obviously awful and something the network couldn't just let keep happening.

Vexer wrote:
Just because you've never met someone who didn't like the show dosen't mean those people don't exist, i've never met anyone who liked Tyler Perry's House Of Payne(which I do like) but the show was on the air for several seasons, so obviously some people did like it, i know plenty of people who like Joey, so i'm not exactly in the "extreme" minority(check out the forum Television Without Pity if you don't believe me), i'm not trying to "spin" anything :roll: If anybody's doing that, it's you, whether the show was "unfairly maligned" or not is a matter of opinion, and I believed it was, but if you don't that's fine too.


None of this matters. I don't care if you liked the show, and it doesn't matter if I liked the show. The facts are the facts - no one watched the show despite it being given every possible chance to succeed. It's remembered as pretty bad. Just because some people liked it doesn't change that. There are plenty of unwatched shows that were cancelled that have been remembered as good, just not Joey.

You're a frustrating person to debate with, Vex. I don't know why you have to keep inventing reasons as to why the show was given unfair treatment. It wasn't. You liked the show, and that's good for you. I just don't know why you can't admit that you liked a show that failed and is remembered as bad. It's ridiculous to just keep making up incorrect reasons as to why the show failed.
Well if it's so "frustrating", why don't you just ignore me then? :lol: You can Shade should get together sometime, both of you seem to have an uncanny obsession with my posts :lol:


Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:29 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 734
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
Vexer wrote:
Well if it's so "frustrating", why don't you just ignore me then? :lol: You can Shade should get together sometime, both of you seem to have an uncanny obsession with my posts :lol:


This sort of nonsense is absurd and has been accepted on the forum far too long. You put your thoughts and opinions out there for public consumption on a public forum and then wonder why people debate you on them. Sorry man, but that's just ignorant. That's the purpose of a forum! To exchange opinions! This kind of bullshit is common for you to say when someone calls you on the constant nonsense you spout. If you can't take someone questioning what you think, then keep it to yourself. Otherwise, deal with the scrutiny.

I don't have an obsession with your posts, but I'll continue calling you on things you're flatly wrong about as I see fit. Again, if that's not something you're able to tolerate, well, tough.


Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:43 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3985
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
PeachyPete wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Well if it's so "frustrating", why don't you just ignore me then? :lol: You can Shade should get together sometime, both of you seem to have an uncanny obsession with my posts :lol:


This sort of nonsense is absurd and has been accepted on the forum far too long. You put your thoughts and opinions out there for public consumption on a public forum and then wonder why people debate you on them. Sorry man, but that's just ignorant. That's the purpose of a forum! To exchange opinions! This kind of bullshit is common for you to say when someone calls you on the constant nonsense you spout. If you can't take someone questioning what you think, then keep it to yourself. Otherwise, deal with the scrutiny.

I don't have an obsession with your posts, but I'll continue calling you on things you're flatly wrong about as I see fit. Again, if that's not something you're able to tolerate, well, tough.

Oh I can "tolerate" just fine Petey :lol: I just find it amusing how much you analyze everything I say, almost like you're studying me or something. I'm not ignorant, I have Aspberger's syndrome. So by all means, continue to make posts about me.


Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:31 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr