Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Is there a point to HD TV in terms of tv sitcoms 
Post Is there a point to HD TV in terms of tv sitcoms
I was wondering if anyone elase feels the same way about sitcoms being filmed and shown in HD.
I can accept the fact that there needs to be HD for action orientated tv programs so that the explosions and such affects are detailed enough but with sitcoms there is usually just people talking. There is no need see people talking in High definitition. what do you all think?

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:08 am
Post Re: Is there a point to HD TV in terms of tv sitcoms
You may as well throw television newscasts in there too. HD will become the broadcast "standard" in the coming years; there's no reason for all content NOT to be in HD regardless of the nature of the content. By your logic, sitcoms should still be in black and white. "I Love Lucy", "The Honeymooners", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", etc. are all still funny, but the technology advanced so that subsequent shows came out in color. Now, there's a bigger difference between B/W and Color than there is between SD and HD to be sure, but I think it would be too distracting to have some shows in High Def and others not. As the cost of the equipment comes down, HD will no longer seem like it should be for "premium content"...it will just be the standard.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 am
If HD does a better job showing the face and revealing human emotions....
Rob

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:51 am
I don't have HD so its irrelevant to me.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:27 am
Is it IN SPACE?

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:14 pm
Vexer wrote:
I don't have HD so its irrelevant to me.

Then why post?

I don't think sitcoms gain a lot from being in HD either, especially those multi-camera ones that not only consist of people just talking, but largely consist of the same shots of the same settings. That said; there are single camera sitcoms that do creative shots or show of more interesting scenery.

But, as Johnny already said; we're moving towards HD as the new standard anyway. It makes sense that we'd shoot sitcoms in HD too.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:15 am
By now most (or many) of us have have all bought these nice big Widescreen Flat Panels so we may as well use them to their potential. Everything is just much more pleasing to the eye in HD, whether it be a nightly Newscast, Sitcom or latest big budget Hollywood film.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:17 am
Quote:
You may as well throw television newscasts in there too. HD will become the broadcast "standard" in the coming years; there's no reason for all content NOT to be in HD regardless of the nature of the content. By your logic, sitcoms should still be in black and white. "I Love Lucy", "The Honeymooners", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", etc. are all still funny, but the technology advanced so that subsequent shows came out in color. Now, there's a bigger difference between B/W and Color than there is between SD and HD to be sure, but I think it would be too distracting to have some shows in High Def and others not. As the cost of the equipment comes down, HD will no longer seem like it should be for "premium content"...it will just be the standard.

I can agree with some of the sentiment. It is true that as filming improves so should it's appearance and you are correct when your idea that nobody wants to go back to black and white, but i ask the question, would you pay for your sitcoms/news reports to appear in HD. where I come from we have to. I don't see the reason for it when there is very little to be gained from it.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:00 am
p604 wrote:
Quote:

I can agree with some of the sentiment. It is true that as filming improves so should it's appearance and you are correct when your idea that nobody wants to go back to black and white, but i ask the question, would you pay for your sitcoms/news reports to appear in HD. where I come from we have to. I don't see the reason for it when there is very little to be gained from it.

Depending on the cost, no...I would not pay extra for it in those cases. But it is included in the cable package I have so it's no skin off my back. Do you think they will still be charging a premium price to get this content in 5 or 10 years? I don't know your situation, but in areas where cable, AT&T and satellite are all competing for customers, the first one to offer the most HD channels for the buck will draw more customers (except for customers like Vexer) and the other services will soon follow in making more HD content available for less/included. If you are in an area that has limited competition or don't have access to over the air HD signals, then you are kind of at the mercy of the provider. But for the rest, competition and technology advances will drive down the access cost. I haven't shopped in a while, but can you even buy a standard definition set these days and, if so, what is the % of availability compared to HD sets?

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 am