Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:42 am

Community 
Producer

Post Re: Community
Perhaps against my better judgment, I've gotten interested in season 5. Problem is, I've still only seen episode 1 of season 4.

My solution is not to watch season 4, because I'll never get through it. I just don't have the patience anymore for ramming down large stretches of TV that I don't want to watch just to get to the stuff I do want to watch. Instead, I'm reading reviews and summaries of each season 4 episode. Soon, I'll be ready.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:18 am
Director

Yeah, that might be a good solution, since Dan Harmon sets up the beginning of Season 5 like a new start for the show anyway, hence the title "Re-Pilot". Although if you have to see just one episode out of Season 4, I might recommend episode 11 "Basic Human Anatomy". It's written by Jim Rash (the dean, and also The Descendants writer), has the energy of the earlier seasons (the premise is a little stupid, but the execution works for me), and it addresses one key relationship from season 3 head-on, so it's a mythology-kind episode, if any Community episode can be called that, as well.

As for the latest episode, I find the gimmick (homage to David Fincher films) a little shaky, but the execution is well done and there are some absolutely hilarious moments (my favorite is Abed taking a jab at the "autistic detective" procedure TV shows). The critics said that next week episode, a character-focused and non-gimmicky one, is the best of the new bunch, so I'm pretty excited for that.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:08 am
Director

Wow, that might be one of the series' best. Pure classic Community.

I also loved how they wrote around one cast member's departure.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:17 am
Producer

peng wrote:
Wow, that might be one of the series' best. Pure classic Community.

I also loved how they wrote around one cast member's departure.

And tying it in with the departure of another. Very slick.

Also a nice throwback to Cooperative Calligraphy, AKA the bottle episode.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:57 am
Director

Asides from Chang and the tag, feels like Community just simply changed gear to do a dramatic episode. I liked it and thought it effective, although it was very weird. Not as good as the last time they did it ("Mixology"), because it feels like the first act is missing. But I still really enjoyed it.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:28 am
Director

Not laugh-out-loud funny, but it's very clever and totally committed that I was engaged in the story. It took a Hunger Games/dystopia approach like season 4's premier and did it right and better. And I found out later that Koogler was the Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:43 am
Director

:(

#fiveseasonsandhopefullyaTVmovie

Fri May 09, 2014 11:24 pm
Director

Renewed for a sixth season by Yahoo, of all places. Right on the last minute too because the actors' contracts expire at June's end.

Really a show with 9 lives.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:22 pm