Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
What TV show did you last watch? 
Auteur

Post Re: What TV show did you last watch?
Watching Penn And Teller: Bullshit on Youtube, funny and insightful show, despite not being a libertarian, I find myself agreeing with Penn an awful lot(about the only topic I seriously disagree with him on is the death penalty)especially on the episodes where he tackles religion.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:45 pm
Director

More people should watch American Horror Story this season. Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange, and Angela Bassets together are just glorious. My favorite moment from last episode:

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:10 pm
Auteur

Eh, i'm not into those types of really dark TV shows, I watch TV to be entertained not depressed and/or disturbed.

Recently i've been watching a lot of King Of The Hill, I disliked the show in the past but have now warmed up to it considerably.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:12 am
Producer

I had a similar arc with King of the Hill. Didn't appreciate it so much back in the day, but its humor grew on me.

I've just started watching Sherlock (the one with Benedict Cumberbatch), which looks promising. There are only a few episodes per season and they're each around 90 minutes long, so it's almost more of an anthology of TV movies rather than a more traditional TV series. The first episode borrows heavily from the first novel.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:32 am
Director

It wasn't really dark as campy and over the top.

The second one of each Sherlock's season is the worst of their respective seasons, but they're still enjoyable. Love the show.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:39 am
Second Unit Director

Lately I've been enjoying "The Blacklist". I think I could watch James Spader read a phone book. A show the wife enjoys and has sucked me into as well is "Revolution". It starts before the kids go to bed and is not quite age-appropriate for them, so I record it on our VCR. Yes. VCR. The kind with tape cassettes.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:39 pm
Auteur

Lately i've been really sucked into "The Newsroom", Jeff Daniels performance just blew me away, and the rest of the cast are no less impressive(Olivia Munn's Sloan Sabbith bieng my personal favorite character). I agree with pretty much everything the show says about politics, it's a case of preaching to the choir, can't wait for season 3 next year!

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:03 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Lately i've been really sucked into "The Newsroom", Jeff Daniels performance just blew me away, and the rest of the cast are no less impressive(Olivia Munn's Sloan Sabbith bieng my personal favorite character). I agree with pretty much everything the show says about politics, it's a case of preaching to the choir, can't wait for season 3 next year!

I like this show too, though I can agree that the sermonizing can be a bit much at times. However, I don't think that a 3rd season has been given the official green light by HBO yet.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:01 pm
Cinematographer

I checked out the show that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is currently starring in, Veep, and must say that I'm starting to warm to it. Granted, the cutthroat nature of American politics isn't anything new to portray in media, but the humor with which the show creators handle the material is very interesting to me. I like that Tony Hale has landed somewhere after the run of Arrested Development (though I hope to see more from that series).

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I like this show too, though I can agree that the sermonizing can be a bit much at times. However, I don't think that a 3rd season has been given the official green light by HBO yet.

When I said "preaching to the choir" I meant that in a good way because I mostly agree with what they're saying in regards to politics(don't agree so much with the anti-gun stance though). The only storyline I didn't particularly for was Maggie going to Africa, that could've been handled a lot better. I was also a little irked that Sorkin seemed to completely forget about the whole "Will receiving death threats" plot in season 2, as his bodyguard Lonny no longer appears and the story isn't even given a passing mention.

HBO has indeed renewed the show for a third season:
http://screenrant.com/newsroom-season-3-hbo/

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:14 pm
Second Unit Director

I've started following Fantom Works.

It's alright.

I still prefer Wheeler Dealers

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:11 pm
Second Unit Director

New Dr. Who was very good.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Got a slight preview of the new Doctor

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:55 pm
Director

Five words will suffice.

Family Guy.
"Life of Brian"

Anyone care to comment?

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:56 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Five words will suffice.

Family Guy.
"Life of Brian"

Anyone care to comment?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I highly doubt Brian is going to stay dead, as there two upcoming episodes titled "Brian's a Bad Father" and "Brian The Closer", plus he's confirmed to be in another episode airing in fall 2014 http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/29/family-guy-maya-rudolph-glenn-howerton/ so i'm sure Brian will get brought back at some point, i'm guessing Stewie will meet his future self on Christmas(since he mentioned traveling forward in time ot get new toys) who will then help him save Brian

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:25 pm
Director

agreed, that's why, for me....

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the impact of Brian's death felt muted. This is a comedy show, where serious moments are few and far between, and we expect some sort of "gotcha" twist, like in the Stewie Kills Lois two-parter. So it was hard to take it as seriously as intended, because the show's history indicates otherwise.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:48 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
agreed, that's why, for me....

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the impact of Brian's death felt muted. This is a comedy show, where serious moments are few and far between, and we expect some sort of "gotcha" twist, like in the Stewie Kills Lois two-parter. So it was hard to take it as seriously as intended, because the show's history indicates otherwise.

Agreed, though I still found the emotional moments effective nonetheless. Vinnie is sort of an interesting character, and given that he's voiced by Paulia Walnuts, i'm guessing his character will be revealed to have some ties to the mob and that his owners death wasn't really an "accident".

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 pm
Producer

p604 wrote:
New Dr. Who was very good.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Got a slight preview of the new Doctor

"No... 13!"

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:27 am
Producer

This past week from Tuesday till last Wednesday, I saw:

Supernatural - fun episode, I've really enjoyed the past few episodes of the show which have had an old school feel. Grade: B+

Person of Interest - A great end to an ongoing story line of the show and it packs a surprising emotional punch. Grade: B+

Homeland - Been kind of underwhelmed with this season so far, especially when compared to last year's amazing season. But this episode was fantastic. The scene between Brody and his daughter was emotionally wrenching stuff. Really great performances. Hopefully this is the beginning of a resurgence for the show and it goes back to being great as oppose to what it was which was merely decent. Grade: A

The Walking Dead - A stellar season continues to be great with another phenomenal episode showing the dark side of the Governor once again return. Can't wait for next week's fall finale. Grade: A-

Arrow - this show's second season continues to get better and better. Great reveal at the end. Grade: A-

Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:57 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Homeland - Been kind of underwhelmed with this season so far, especially when compared to last year's amazing season. But this episode was fantastic. The scene between Brody and his daughter was emotionally wrenching stuff. Really great performances. Hopefully this is the beginning of a resurgence for the show and it goes back to being great as oppose to what it was which was merely decent. Grade: A

The Walking Dead - A stellar season continues to be great with another phenomenal episode showing the dark side of the Governor once again return. Can't wait for next week's fall finale. Grade: A-

Arrow - this show's second season continues to get better and better. Great reveal at the end. Grade: A-

I have been behind two episodes for Arrow now. Still, even though the flashbacks still elicit groans from me, I agree that it steps its game impressively in its second season (love the revealing a twist just before the title credit in one episode).

I am of the opinion that The Walking Dead and Homeland takes a similar approach to their storytelling this season: keep it low-key and more human based. It worked a little better for The Walking Dead than Homeland, even though I find both seasons a little too subdued at times. But yes, love the latest Homeland episode, plausibility be damned. Whether you are for or against the "romance", Claire Danes and Damian Lewis are just magic on screen together. This episode feels more energetized than the season's other episodes just by their chemistry and Damian's terrific presence alone.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:41 am
Director

I'm watching the first TV show I've ever watched with subtitles. Bron/Broen is a Swedish TV series that has been remade this year BOTH by the US (as The Bridge) and the UK (as The Tunnel), so I thought it must have something going for it. I haven't seen either of those, and forums suggested that the original Swedish TV series is the best one (isn't that just about always true?), so I decided to go for it (it's available on Amazon). Only watched the 1st episode so far but the plot is indeed intriguing and looks set to have some good characters. Reminds me a lot of The Killing (which I really enjoyed).

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:04 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next