Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
What TV show did you last watch? 
Post Re: What TV show did you last watch?
Been watching the first season of Hope & Faith

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:38 pm
Director

An episode of Torchwood; once every ten years, town residents kidnap passers-by for fun, then eat them. Creepy.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:56 pm
Mad Men season 5 has been delayed until March of next year, for a grand total of 17 months between seasons. Fuck you very much, AMC.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:44 am
DylnFan96818 wrote:
Top Gear U.K. - the hosts took a combine and turned it into a snowplow.

Love this show and record them all on DVR and then sort out what I've previously seen.

The U.S version is boring.

Yay, Jeremy, Stig, Captain Slow and Hammond. It's perfect TV and best of all you don't need to be a car junkie
Rob

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:00 am
Supernatural
American Idol
House
Vampire dairies

Mon May 09, 2011 8:02 am
In the Uk and saw the first episode of the BBC's new flagship thriller "The Shadow Line"
Definitely in the realm of "Red Riding"
Only seen one hour with six more to go
Great cast!
Rob

Mon May 09, 2011 9:27 am
Been watching alot of shows on DVD lately-According To Jim, Hope And Faith, Eight Simple Rules. This week i'm planning to move on to Stacked and Grounded For Life next.

Mon May 09, 2011 1:10 pm
After years of being strictly in the realm of TOS, I have been immersing myself in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Using a combination of best-of lists and recommendations from friends, I've compiled a list of a dozen or so episodes. I've been working my way through it chronologically.

I've heard that the quality of the writing on this show varies, which is understandable. It does mean that my best-of selections aren't necessarily a robust representation of the show as a whole. I also understand that any improvements and expansions TNG makes upon TOS must be viewed with respect to the fact that TOS not only started it all, but was itself a massive advance in both televised sci-fi and serial TV storytelling during its time. Even so, a few of these TNG episodes are beyond any episode I've seen of TOS. I am hesitant to declare TNG the better show (an admittedly undereducated opinion either way), but I am on the fence.

I still prefer the original cast. The triangular interaction of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy is basically perfect, and from what I can tell, TNG wisely does not even try to duplicate it.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:43 am
Director

Honestly, I just don't watch a whole lot of TV. It just doesn't do it for me as an artistic medium the same way film does. :? The last series I watched from beginning to end was Lost (one of the few shows that have a sort of cinematic pull to them), and about the only one I watch now is Mad Men, and that's more because my friend from high school and college (Rich Sommer, who plays Harry Crane -- the most minor of the major characters) is on it. The tone of the show was extremely dry in the beginning but it's been gradually moistening up more with each passing season. :| Still, my total lack of interest/respect for the advertising industry (thankfully I'm immune to their brainwashing :P ) can't help but keep me at arm's length with this show.

Fri May 25, 2012 7:19 pm
Producer

Saw the entire first season of Revenge on netflix instant and I LOVED it! Can't wait for season 2.

Supernatural, the episode the followed Bobby getting shot and him trying to avoid the reaper. Great episode. Honestly, Jim Beaver deserved an EMMY nomination for his performance in this episode. It was so incredibly moving. Especially the scene where he confronts his abusive father and the final moment with his final memory with Sam and Dean. I had tears in my eyes in those final moments.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:26 am
Second Unit Director

With my last paycheck I bought the first season of American Horror Story and booked through it in a day, and I've been keeping along with the second season thus far. I absolutely love this show and its more slow burn, character based approach to the horror genre. A psychosexual evaluation on the effect of past tragedies and traumas on modern society in both large and small scale; it gathers interest through wonderfully and intriguingly written characters, perfectly cast actors, perfect set and art design and a plot that draws you in and refuses to pander or remain simple. It's playful, creepy and twisty and moreover feels fully formed as a piece of art. This is so far the height of Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuck's production credits (beats the hell out of Nip/Tuck and Glee) and almost four episodes into season two I'm still really excited to find out where this show is going.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:54 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
After years of being strictly in the realm of TOS, I have been immersing myself in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Using a combination of best-of lists and recommendations from friends, I've compiled a list of a dozen or so episodes. I've been working my way through it chronologically.

I've heard that the quality of the writing on this show varies, which is understandable. It does mean that my best-of selections aren't necessarily a robust representation of the show as a whole. I also understand that any improvements and expansions TNG makes upon TOS must be viewed with respect to the fact that TOS not only started it all, but was itself a massive advance in both televised sci-fi and serial TV storytelling during its time. Even so, a few of these TNG episodes are beyond any episode I've seen of TOS. I am hesitant to declare TNG the better show (an admittedly undereducated opinion either way), but I am on the fence.

I still prefer the original cast. The triangular interaction of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy is basically perfect, and from what I can tell, TNG wisely does not even try to duplicate it.

I recently went through TOS, TNG and DS9. All of them. Though I respect TOS and its groundbreaking forward thinking, the surprisingly well-written scripts, and the immortal Spock/Kirk/Bones byplay... I have to give props to DS9 as the best of the Start Trek universe. I love TNG and am very attached to the characters, and would probably say that was my favorite iteration of ST, but for overall quality my nod has to go to Deep Space Nine.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:05 pm
Cinematographer

Had a bad trip down nostalgia lane. Saw South Park was available on Netflix instant and thought I'd re-visit what I remembered as the funniest TV episode I'd ever seen - Season 3/17 - The Brown Noise episode. When I originally saw this I was rolling on the floor with the two themes (teacher upset that his dad didn't find him attractive enough to molest when he was young, Cartman discovering a musical note that triggers a bowel movement in anyone who hears it). Maybe its just that it wasn't new this time around, but I suspect I'm just getting old, stodgy, and grumpy. Still laughed when people were walking funny after the brown noise though.

Don't really watch shows with any regularity and when I do they are usually of a sporting nature and not professionally written or acted.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:31 am
Auteur

Been watching a lot of "The Drew Carey Show" lately, pretty good show, too bad it got less interesting once Christa Miller left to be on Scrubs(which I never particularly liked).

Last edited by Vexer on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:34 pm
Producer

I am currently working my way through Battlestar Galactica (the version with the terrific Edward James Olmos) at the behest of one of my former professors. I'm probably 10 or 11 episodes in, and it's a damn good show. If anybody here appreciates the socially conscious element of Star Trek, BSG would be a real treat.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 pm
Assistant Director

The TV shows that I am watching at the moment are:

Dexter
Walking Dead
Homeland
Sons of Anarchy
Arrow
Boardwalk Empire

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:55 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

I've been watching a shit ton of "Who's Line is it Anyway?" on YouTube. Gives me a good laugh everytime. Colin Mochrie...that boy is good, yo.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:40 pm
Second Unit Director

DylnFan96818 wrote:
Top Gear U.K. - the hosts took a combine and turned it into a snowplow.

Love this show and record them all on DVR and then sort out what I've previously seen.

The U.S version is boring.

this is one of the finest tv show produced by the bbc.
you should check out the one withe tractors.
How and ever, Perhaps the show may have peeked.
I feel that the setups may have become too staged, scripted.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:28 pm
Assistant Director

Watching currently or recently...

The Walking Dead
Homeland
NCIS
Fringe
Last Resort
Grey's Anatomy
Top Chef
The Next Iron Chef

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Watched a great documentary on the musicals by Morecombe and Wise.
Hosted by Penelope Keith.
I cannot recommend them enough.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:53 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next