Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
What TV show did you last watch? 
Post Re: What TV show did you last watch?
I was looking for a comparison that reflected how well the two shows hit their respective marks. And, as you've done just that, I'm all but convinced that Mad Men is the next DVD purchase I'll make.

My uncertainty came from hearing people claim the show was terribly inaccurate -- not just regarding the time frame but the details used to create some of the dialogue. Those kind of things don't really matter but, for Mad Men, I didn't want to be distracted by what seemed like obvious anachronisms and poor research. DVDs cost money and I'd hate to repeat my Angel DVD trial.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:42 pm
I will admit to having not much of a knowledge of 1960s ad culture, but I've never seen an inaccuracy or an anachronism in Mad Men that was egregious enough to throw me out of the story. Anytime you're doing a period piece, there will necessarily be the occasional fuck-up. It just happens. That's life. And the better the program is, the easier that stuff is to forgive.

I feel bad for people who nitpick about the historical inaccuracies, because there's so much other stuff to pay attention to.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:46 pm
Ken wrote:
I will admit to having not much of a knowledge of 1960s ad culture, but I've never seen an inaccuracy or an anachronism in Mad Men that was egregious enough to throw me out of the story. Anytime you're doing a period piece, there will necessarily be the occasional fuck-up. It just happens. That's life. And the better the program is, the easier that stuff is to forgive.

I feel bad for people who nitpick about the historical inaccuracies, because there's so much other stuff to pay attention to.

And I feel bad for parents that have to bury their children after a long battle with illness or a tragic suicide. But I'll be the first to admit that it takes all kinds of people to make the world as sympathetic and glorious as it so clearly is.

Anyhow, the anachronisms would have to be wildly obvious to make an impact and small inaccuracies (like the actual work of competing firms and who gets what kind of credit) are completely meaningless to me. I was thinking more of a 30s-style masquerading as the 60s, something to give it an "old timey" feel. That's what I was told the show was about and you would have pointed it out if it were so.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:06 pm
You're going to see some 1950s styles, mainly because the 1960s come after the 1950s and styles don't suddenly vanish when it's a new decade.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:11 pm
Director

I last watched an episode of Sons of Anarchy from season 1. Should be getting a Mad Men disc soon.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:16 pm
This was different.

Last night was a "Green Hornet" Special for Mythbusters. Yeah. With Seth Rogen. Yeah. The idea was to test two scenes that happen in the movie. One involved the Black Beauty, with the Green Hornet and Kato inside, being buried...and then having a bulldozer placed on top. An explosion occurs, swiftly removes the dozer, and Greeno and Kato walk out unscratched. Another involved the Black Beauty being sheared in half by an elevator. The front half then drives off without a problem. The mythbuster's crew, along with Seth, go along and straight full scale this thing.

I'm curious who marketing is trying to reach by doing this show. And then I started thinking that maybe Jamie and Adam are jumping the shark. But then I thought, you know what...they were basically given money to blow shit up...I'd do the same thing.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:10 pm
Mythbusters is no more immune to promotional considerations than any other show. There are people decrying the show for selling out, which is ludicrous, because the show wouldn't exist without corporate sponsorship in the first place.

I haven't seen the Green Hornet special, but I assume that the promotional element of the episode didn't prevent the cast from fulfilling any of the goals that Mythbusters is supposed to fill in any given episode, which is to demonstrate scientific principles, organize empirical tests in a way that entertains the casual audience, and, of course, bust myths.

Until they fail at any of those tasks, I will remain a fan.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:39 pm
I just watched Hell's Kitchen final - but have no idea why I wasted an hour of my life on this.

I watch John Stewart a couple of times a wek as well

Rob

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:58 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I watched the Green Hornet serials as a kid — I can't understand why anyone would want to bring this back from the dead.

I though the first series of the Mythbusters was pretty good but I've grown rather bored by it.

I'm just coming to the end of the second series of Fringe. Every now and again, they almost manage a good episode. Like the time travel story with Walter and the flower. I so wanted it to be logical but ended up frustrated. :(

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Director

dmar91 wrote:
I watched the Green Hornet serials as a kid — I can't understand why anyone would want to bring this back from the dead.

I though the first series of the Mythbusters was pretty good but I've grown rather bored by it.

I'm just coming to the end of the second series of Fringe. Every now and again, they almost manage a good episode. Like the time travel story with Walter and the flower. I so wanted it to be logical but ended up frustrated. :(

I'm fairly fond of Fringe--they at least try hard. But they're doomed--moved to Friday (and calling their first episode back 'firefly'). So I'm resigned to its fate. Hopefully the Cape will be good.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:59 am
dmar91 wrote:
A relatively inexpensive superhero revival with an A-list star in the lead role? Who would want to greenlight that?

Seriously, though, I was briefly excited for the movie when Stephen Chow was on deck to play the Bruce Lee role, but my enthusiasm has waned since he left. I might still see it.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:50 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Ken wrote:
Just about caught up on Breaking Bad.

And? Has it been worthwhile? I'm waiting for you to compare it to Mad Men before deciding on whether or not pick up the DVDs. My fate, the fate of Mad Men DVDs, is in your hands.

Although I have downl.. alternatively acquired the first three seasons of Mad Men, I have yet to start them (currently rewatching The Wire) but I can attest to the quality of Breaking Bad. Definitely worth a watch. Cranston's work is excellent.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:21 pm
Just watched the latest episode of Castle...one of the best so far imo, great series.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:22 am
Currently about halfway into the second season of Parks & Rec. What initially looked like a retread of The Office has emerged as a very funny and reasonably original show.

It's actually the same pattern as The Office, which kicked off with a very short inaugural season that was lifted almost directly from its source material (the U.K. edition of the show, in this case). In its second year, the creative team very quickly found a fresh voice.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:34 am
If you guys ever feel like shit, watch an episode of Wipeout. Instant smiles...

The show is now casting.

I'm thinking about it.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:58 pm
All caught up on Parks and Rec. Ron Swanson belongs in the pantheon of great TV characters.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:33 pm
I watched new episodes of The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, and American Dad last night. I liked that Fox decided to take on the Grammys with their animated line-up instead of pussying out like they did with the Super Bowl.

The Simpsons was OK, but I agree that the show should finally just die now. American Dad was funny in a very disturbing way (see the last part of the episode to understand where this feeling comes from). Bob's Burgers was mediocre and only reinforced my opinion that the show needs to start focusing more on the character of the youngest daughter (Louise), as she's by far the best part. Family Guy was pretty damn funny (I love Seth MacFarlane and his atheism!).

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:34 pm
I watched the "Friends" spin-off "Joey", I always though that was a pretty underrated show.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:09 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

arnoldchouhan wrote:
My last TV show is Mr.Bean . I like this show.

It's fantastic!

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:30 am
Director

Top Gear U.K. - the hosts took a combine and turned it into a snowplow.

Love this show and record them all on DVR and then sort out what I've previously seen.

The U.S version is boring.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next