Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
What TV show did you last watch? 
Post Re: What TV show did you last watch?
I'm midway through season 6 of a Star Trek TNG rewatch, just finished seasons 1-6 of Entourage, and am just beginning season 5 of a Curb Your Enthusiasm "from the beginning" watch.

As for actually watching a show on television? Haven't done that in years, except for sports and animal docs.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:46 am
Via Netflix I've been slowly but surely watching Pushing Daisies. It's not a great show, but it does enough right (and is frequently funny enough) to justify my 40-some minutes every time, I think. It's right on the "too-much-quirk" line, and I'm dreading the episode (if there is one) where it finally falls over into Amelie-like heights of quirk-excess. Still, enjoying what I've seen.

Oh, and Anna Friel is a very attractive lady, to put it somewhat mildly.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:58 am
Gaffer

Last evening, "The Closer" on TNT. (Sedgwick deserved that Emmy.)

Coming up tonight, "White Collar" and "Covert Affairs" on USA; the latter's new this year, and IMO a very fine addition to a season that offers some good stuff (no longer the rerun wasteland it once was).

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:46 am
I've been watching Mad Men on DVD. I'm up to the first few episodes of season three. It's pretty damn good.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:12 pm
The Pillars of the earth. It was a really good minseries about the construction of a cathedral in the twelfth century and stuff. Check it out.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:19 pm
Director

VIVA - a Polish video channel that apparently only has about two dozen videos in stock; they love playing Ne-Yo and Rihanna as often as they came, but they do play some videos from Romanian artists. BTW, Inna is hot. Our collective favorite in the shop is one from a group we call "Polish Shoving Buddies" (SB is a Family Guy reference).

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:33 am
Bahnyen wrote:
American Idol season 8, Adam Lambert was so cool.

Yes he was, the show suffered when he was not there
Now we are in judge turmoil

Rob

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:08 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

New season of The Mentalist. Loving Simon Baker. ;)

Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Watched 10 minutes of Whose Line Is It Anyway? and then got bored.

Watched the "Cool! NASCAR, Sweet!" episode of South Park and did not get bored. Cartman deliberately swerving his Vagisil-sponsored car in order to hit Danica Patrick ("Did you see that? She ran right in front of my car!") was a highlight.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:08 am
Watched the pilot of No Ordinary Family.

I thought it would suck, but it got better as the episode progressed. Might turn out to be not a bad series.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:21 am
Community
Seriously one of the funnier new shows in a while.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:18 pm
Saw the latest South Park, the one about Jersey Shore and the onslaught of the Jersey Lifestyle, and wasn't very impressed with what Parker and Stone had to say. Back to celebrating the pop culture they claim to hate (and yet obviously pore over), South Park sank to a boring low by featuring an American-sanctioned terrorist attack (by bin Laden, of course) against the people of Jersey. I know it's meant to be shocking and delightfully offensive but it really just smacks of laziness and blindly lashing out.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:30 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Saw the latest South Park, the one about Jersey Shore and the onslaught of the Jersey Lifestyle, and wasn't very impressed with what Parker and Stone had to say. Back to celebrating the pop culture they claim to hate (and yet obviously pore over), South Park sank to a boring low by featuring an American-sanctioned terrorist attack (by bin Laden, of course) against the people of Jersey. I know it's meant to be shocking and delightfully offensive but it really just smacks of laziness and blindly lashing out.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up why I HATE South Park, Family Guy does a much better job of skewring pop culture, I hope they bash Jersey Shore soon(and Twilight for that matter, i'm surprised they haven't made fun of it yet)

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:53 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
and Twilight for that matter, i'm surprised they haven't made fun of it yet

That would be soooo AWESOME! And with such good raw material, how can they go wrong?! :-D

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:32 am
Profile WWW
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Words fail to describe the ridiculous awesome humoruosness.

This shouldn't have been canceled.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:57 pm
John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, John Stewart, Stephen Colbert
and on it goes
Rob

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:37 am
Just about caught up on Breaking Bad.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:51 pm
I'm watching a little bit of HBO's line-up. True Blood isn't particularly great but definitely entertaining. Eastbound & Down is okay and Bored To Death is the least of the three. I alternate between all three every couple of nights.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 pm
Ken wrote:
Just about caught up on Breaking Bad.

And? Has it been worthwhile? I'm waiting for you to compare it to Mad Men before deciding on whether or not pick up the DVDs. My fate, the fate of Mad Men DVDs, is in your hands.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:06 pm
If it compares to Mad Men in any way, it's in the cinematic visuals and the high production values. They're basically serial movies on TV.

Mad Men is stately. It has its moments of fun, humor, and excitement, but it is definitely a methodical, carefully constructed entity. It's intended to be a TV series for the ages. It arguably has as high a claim to artistic merit as the best movies being made today.

Breaking Bad is told with more abandon. I wouldn't necessarily say it's higher energy, but the energy is definitely less subtle compared to Mad Men. Breaking Bad "pops" a lot, whereas Mad Men's energy thrums beneath the surface. To be reductive, Mad Men is drama and Breaking Bad is melodrama. Breaking Bad is also a little more conventional in the sense that it plans for a crazy surprise at least once every few episodes. It never feels cheapened, though, which is a testament to the strength of the story.

I do think that Breaking Bad has a ways to go before it achieves Mad Men's standard of craftsmanship, but it's still light years ahead of most shows. If I have any major complaint within the context of the comparison, it's that I think Mad Men's shots and camera moves have a lot more thought put into them. Breaking Bad unfortunately shows a tendency in common with modern movies: if the filmmakers don't have any better ideas for shots and blocking, they try to cover it by going hand-held.

But that's small potatoes. They're both excellent shows.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:25 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next