Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
What TV show did you last watch? 
Producer

Post Re: What TV show did you last watch?
An Idiot Abroad is a great concept because Karl Pilkington is a unique idiot, and Gervais cruel and cynical enough to exploit him for it.

I loved the first episode, when he was posted to rural China, not that it matters exactly where, because Karl was so far outside his comfort zone it may as well have been one of Saturn's moons.

The show did slide as Karl himself became more accustomed to the abuse, discomfort and contrived scenarios. But it did make me weep with laughter on more than one occasion.

And there's a fascinating class discriminator built in. Back in the 80s and 90s there was a show called Michael Palin around the world in whatever (I paraphrase). That is to say, Michael Palin was British TV's travel guy. A thoroughly decent, educated, upper middle class chap of the appreciating the quaintness of less civilised elements breed.

He loved the world, and thought the journeys he embarked on were wonderful. This is sharp contrast to Pilkington, who himself references Palin a number of times, and who treats the world and its rainbow of cultures like an inconvenience to his entire world view.

In a sense, Pilkington's is the more honest. Most of the world is a fucking toilet, and Palin knew it. Which is why he ended up doing the Himalayas and Pole-to-Pole ... no people you see!

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:51 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I saw the show The Hundred. Quite good considering its on CW.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:46 pm
Producer

Big_Mike wrote:
I saw the show The Hundred. Quite good considering its on CW.

Meh. I only saw the pilot and I was unimpressed. Seemed to much like a Lost meets Lord of the Flies ripoff.

As far as shows on the CW, there are two really good shows currently on that channel: Arrow and Supernatural, although Supernatural isn't as good as it was for the first 6 seasons. But I still enjoy it a lot.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:28 am
Auteur

Watched the season premiere of The Boondocks, just as hilarious as ever, next episode looks sick, cannot wait.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:48 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Watched the season premiere of The Boondocks, just as hilarious as ever, next episode looks sick, cannot wait.

I worked. Waaaaaa...

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:14 am
Auteur

Gwaihir wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I worked. Waaaaaa...

Not to worry, it's availible on Amazon Instant Video.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:12 pm
Producer

This week's episode of Arrow: :cry:

Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:39 am
Director

Mad Men Season 7 Episode 2: This should have been two-parter with the first one. I've always loved the office dynamics and this one is executed most entertainingly. Sally's storyline is good too. Also, "masturbate gloomily".

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:51 am
Director

Arrow's second season finale

Good finale, although I previously, really thought this season would be the end of the flashbacks. Ugh. At least it would not be on the island anymore.

And the Olivia/Fecility thing is just the most fan-servicey without turning into an actual one. For a second in that mansion, I really thought they succumbed to the fanbase.

Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 am
Producer

peng wrote:
Arrow's second season finale

Good finale, although I previously, really thought this season would be the end of the flashbacks. Ugh. At least it would not be on the island anymore.

And the Olivia/Fecility thing is just the most fan-servicey without turning into an actual one. For a second in that mansion, I really thought they succumbed to the fanbase.

I thought it was a clever misdirect, that scene between Oliver and Felicity in the Queen mansion.

The final showdown between Oliver and Slade was brilliantly edited as it juxtaposed from that fight and there past fight on the ship. And the different results and it shows really how Oliver has grown this past season. I loved the finale. It's not quite as strong as season 1's finale (the Tommy death really left such a strong, lasting impression) but I thought it was a terrific, satisfying conclusion to what has been a really great season. Whoever they choose as next season's big bad has their work cut out for them. Slade is going to be a tough character to beat as far villains goes. In fact, they might not be able to.

What I've watched this past week (several season finales):

Revenge season 3 finale - 7/10
Bones (this week's episode) - 7/10
24: Live Another Day (1:00 PM - 2:00 PM) - 7/10
Castle season six finale - 7/10
Person of Interest season three finale - 10/10
Arrow season Two finale - 8/10

Thu May 15, 2014 8:00 pm

The CW channel where interesting shows go to die in one season.

Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 pm
Auteur

Big_Mike wrote:

Also where succesful shows get unceremoniously killed off, that's what happened to Reba, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars etc.

UPN and the WB never should've merged if you ask me.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:07 pm
Producer

Big_Mike wrote:

Not true. I can name 3 really good to great CW shows. Nikita, Supernatural and Arrow. Those shows kick ass.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:26 pm

UPN sadly was a one show pony for which they stuck the two last star trek shows. Though they briefly make Smackdown relevant. WB had at least several show that could carry them but was suckered into merging with UPN.

ilovemovies wrote:
Big_Mike wrote:

Not true. I can name 3 really good to great CW shows. Nikita, Supernatural and Arrow. Those shows kick ass.

Maybe I'm a sucker for the post apocalypse genre but i like the show The 100 largely because the show is exploring territory that normally a show full of attractive teens (most of them are mid 20s so they could easily look like teens) wouldn't normally explore. Haven't read the book and doubtful i ever read it.

The CW has moved past Gossip Girl which is good because that was a waste of Blake Lively's talent. But they now their stuck with Supernatural and Vampire Diaries two aging shows that when they get past their prime the network will dump it for better younger shows. Personally i would have gotten rid of Heart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast.

Fri May 16, 2014 11:15 pm
Auteur

I mostly watched UPN for it's sitcoms like Moesha, The Parkers, Everybody Hates Chris, Eve, Love Inc, Girlfriends, Abby, All Of Us, Cuts, Half And Half, One On One, Rock Me Baby, Second Time Around, etc.

Sat May 17, 2014 12:12 am
Producer

UPN was largely useless IMO, but it did have a few television shows that would become among my all time favorites. The first was Nowhere Man, which starred Bruce Greenwood and then there is The Sentinel which starred Richard Burgi, best known from Desperate Housewives although he's also been on 24 among other shows.

Veronica Mars is great too.

Sat May 17, 2014 2:49 am
Producer

Big_Mike wrote:
UPN sadly was a one show pony for which they stuck the two last star trek shows. Though they briefly make Smackdown relevant. WB had at least several show that could carry them but was suckered into merging with UPN.

ilovemovies wrote:
Big_Mike wrote:

Maybe I'm a sucker for the post apocalypse genre but i like the show The 100 largely because the show is exploring territory that normally a show full of attractive teens (most of them are mid 20s so they could easily look like teens) wouldn't normally explore. Haven't read the book and doubtful i ever read it.

The CW has moved past Gossip Girl which is good because that was a waste of Blake Lively's talent. But they now their stuck with Supernatural and Vampire Diaries two aging shows that when they get past their prime the network will dump it for better younger shows. Personally i would have gotten rid of Heart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast.

Supernatural is already past it's prime. Although I still like it a lot.

I tried to give the 100 a chance but it just felt too much like a futuristic ripoff of Lost mixed with Lord of the Flies for me.

Sat May 17, 2014 2:52 am
Auteur

I personally don't care one bit for Supernatural, how it managed to last this long is beyond me.

I actually feel the 100 is so far superior to LOST.

Sat May 17, 2014 2:54 am
Producer

The Bones finale was surprisingly great. Bones doesn't usually big action scenes, but that gun fight at the end between Booth and the three delta forces guys was pretty awesome. I was actually on the edge of my seat.

Mon May 19, 2014 10:33 pm
Producer

The following shows are absolutely killing it lately:

Mad Men
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
Louie

That is all.

Tue May 20, 2014 11:40 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next