Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 pm

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report 
Post The Daily Show and The Colbert Report
Trevor wrote:
Yeah, that was great.
And the winner is... Slumdog Millionaire!
Although they could give it to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button--that one seemed important.

Trevor,
Glad you liked it. Colbert is a nightly fixture for me along with John Stewart. It's good to have some fun amidst the gloom!
Rob

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:31 am
Post Re: Colbert reveals the Oscar winners :-)
Robert Holloway wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Yeah, that was great.
And the winner is... Slumdog Millionaire!
Although they could give it to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button--that one seemed important.

Trevor,
Glad you liked it. Colbert is a nightly fixture for me along with John Stewart. It's good to have some fun amidst the gloom!
Rob

Yeah, I used to always just watch the Daily Show because it seemed more culturally important, and catch The Colbert Report from time to time, but I think Colbert may actually be the better show at this point - his ability to stay in character throughout the show is truly remarkable.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:43 am
Post Re: Colbert reveals the Oscar winners :-)
Agree completely

John Stewart was the master and his disciple has taken over
I never thought I'd say this, but i do look forward more to Colbert

is he in character - or the real thing?

Rob

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:02 am
Post Re: The Daily Show and The Colbert Report
I wouldn't be surprised if Colbert's persona is similar to his own personal character. I'd personally rather have no idea; after all, when you see how an actor is out of character (christianbalecough) it can ruin the illusion.

Jon Stewart does have the more difficult job, I think, in that he must maintain a semblance of order and differ from reality only somewhat with his performance - and that his show is more complexly written and issue-related as opposed to being merely an excuse for him to be a kid in a candy store such as the way Colbert's is structured. This isn't to say what Colbert does is easy, and he is magnificent, but the most unsung character in any comedy is the arrow-straight man.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:36 am
I don't watch either, but I prefer Stewart. Colbert's schtick feels old and tired to me.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:59 pm
The writers are definetely stronger on the Colbert side, the "word" is an absolute riot! The correspondent-segments on The Daily Show are for the most part pretty weak, although sometimes they really hit a home run (in Alaska interviewing the Mayor of Wasilla, she said she was also qualified for VP, yet couldn't name off one responsibility she had as Mayor :D ).

I hate Gitmo with a passion and usually hit the power button when Stewart brings him out. It also appears, since he's so close with so many celebs, some interviews are really just a trance of inside jokes that no one understands (although I must say he's gotten better with them in the last couple of months and some good insight really comes out). Colbert's interviews are on a whole other level because he does have the 'act' on his side and I think he's more clever than Stewart. For everyone who hasn't gotten their hands on "I am America".. DO IT, it's pure bliss. His speech at the White House Correspondents Dinner was awesome, and I've always wondered what the Oscars would be like if he were to host.. haha, I think everyone would get ripped on.. "NATION.."

I have read a partial biography on him and apparently he is a Sunday school teacher and bans his children from watching his show :)

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:19 pm
euphoric_daedalus wrote:
I hate Gitmo with a passion and usually hit the power button when Stewart brings him out.

Aww, Gitmo gets no love! ;)

euphoric_daedalus wrote:
It also appears, since he's so close with so many celebs, some interviews are really just a trance of inside jokes that no one understands (although I must say he's gotten better with them in the last couple of months and some good insight really comes out).

Definitely, especially with his Steve Carell interviews. Just five minutes of...nothing. Carell's hilarious, but can't they actually talk about something substantial?

Quote:
I have read a partial biography on him and apparently he is a Sunday school teacher and bans his children from watching his show :)

The reason that he bans his kids from watching is because they lack that sense for irony and satire, and he doesn't want his kids seeing him as unsympathetic. My uncle also allows my ten-year-old cousin to watch Daily Show but not Colbert for the same reason.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:27 am
I don't usually watch either show, but I vastly prefer Stewart, which IMO is far better written. One's liking of Colbert largely depends on whether or not you connect with his performance shtick, which I don't.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:41 am
Both of these have gotten overexposed. The shtick has gotten almost into self-parody. I used to really like Colbert when he was a correspondent on the Daily Show, but it's just gotten too ham-fisted. Stewart has always seemed too smug for me.

Maybe I'm turned off by how self-important the fanboys seem to be. (I don't think that applies to anyone here from what I've seen though.) I've seen a lot of people who think that watching a clever television show makes them clever--kinda makes me ill.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:10 pm
It's been ages since I've watched John Stewart-I watched it quite a bit during the 2004 election b/c the timing of the humor with it. But since that election passed by, there was really nothing more to watch about it.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:29 pm
Living in Germany, I only get the Daily Show, International Edition, and that only once a week. I wish I could see more.

For the bast satire going anywhere, though, I prefer the Onion News Network, and The Onion in general.

That and Red State Update. Those two are simply brilliant. Their timing is fantastic. They deserve more exposure.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:30 pm
Colbert wins this one after titling one of last night's categories 'The Swede Hereafter'.

Good man, good man.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:14 pm
Cinematographer

One thing that makes a huge difference between the two for me is the interviews. Both shows have a wide range of celebrities and scholars that do interviews, but Colbert rarely lets his guests talk. I understand that this is supposed to parody the intolerant style of some of the more conservative newscasters (Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity... pretty much all of Fox News), but it just gets annoying. Some of those people have ideas and stories that I really want to listen too. I think Stewart does a much better job at this. And you can see that the people Stewart interviews really enjoy being there. Take for example Brian Williams, John McCain... They seem to relax and embrace the laid back mentality that is The Daily Show, no matter who they are.

The exception though is Colbert's segment Better Know a District in which he interviews various Representatives, or basically who will talk to him. He lets his guests ruin themselves rather than jump down their throats.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:20 pm
MunichMan wrote:
Living in Germany, I only get the Daily Show, International Edition, and that only once a week. I wish I could see more.

you should be able to watch the full episodes online, here:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/index.jhtml

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:40 am
Sören Höglund wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

I believe that website, and in general all legal streaming video websites, are limited by IP address to viewers in North America.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:01 pm
I love both shows and I agree with what was stated by Rob in that the pupil has surpassed the teacher. They are both entertaining and allow me to laugh at some news that elsewhere gets me angry.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:14 pm
Trevor wrote:
Sören Höglund wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

I believe that website, and in general all legal streaming video websites, are limited by IP address to viewers in North America.

Works fine for me, and I'm in Finland.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:09 am
Sören Höglund wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Sören Höglund wrote:

Works fine for me, and I'm in Finland.

Thanks Sören. NBC is blocked, as are many other network sites, but this one works fine.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:01 pm
MunichMan wrote:
Thanks Sören. NBC is blocked, as are many other network sites, but this one works fine.

That is awesome. I am so used to that not being the case for every streaming site. I can't stream stuff from CBC and I'm just a couple of hours south of Canada.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:12 am
So, did anyone watch the Cramer/Stewart interview last night? Powerful stuff, and very fitting for CNBC (well, through Cramer) to own up to the fact that they should have done better reporting and stop simply listening and repeating BS from corporations. Bravo, Mr. Stewart. That was one very good piece of journalism.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:15 pm