Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:28 am

I Need A New TV Show to Watch 
Second Unit Director

Post I Need A New TV Show to Watch
Hey, friends.

So we've gotten pretty good at recommending movies for people over in that other forum. Movies are by nature might be more suited to this sort of thing, but I trust you guys, so I'm seeking your help.

My favorite shows no longer running: The Wire, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Law & Order, Freaks & Geeks, The Office

My favorite shows currently running: The Americans (WATCH THIS, mofos, it's the best thing on TV), Parks and Rec. And Survivor, if we're being honest.

I'm open to anything, I'm just after stuff that's good. Compulsive viewing can be great, but not when it's a constant cheat (like 24). If it's on Netflix/Amazon Prime that's ideal, but again, I'm just looking for the stuff you love (new or old) that has at least one season completed. I'm all for a great binge-watch.

So let me know what you love, and why, and it'd be much appreciated.

Oh, and watch The Americans. Seriously.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:41 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: I Need A New TV Show to Watch
I watched the first three seasons of Louie this year, and I love it with all my heart. I know that Ken Prime is also a huge advocate of the show. The show just follows Louis C.K, playing his fictional self, through his everyday life as a single dad in New York. It's hilarious, profound, sometimes incredibly sad, relatable, and generally amazing. And it honestly might be my all-time favorite show. Even better than The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc... Not a big time commitment, since there's only 13 episodes per season, and the episodes are just over 20 minutes long.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I binged off of Star Trek Voyager. I know a lot of people shit on that show but i love it largely for the characters. Also i would recommend binging off the cw show The 100. Arguably the best show that the channel ever did. I am currently binging on The West Wing.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:07 pm
Auteur

How about Newsroom? It's a pretty good mixture of comedy and drama and it's Aaron Sorkin's best work to date.

Some sitcoms I would recommend are The War At Home, the Bernie Mac Show, Drew Carey Show, Everybody Hates Chris, George Lopez, Grounded for Life, and King of Queens.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:49 pm
Cinematographer

I noticed that for some crazy reason Game of Thrones wasn't mentioned in your list of favorite shows. I think I would recommend that you GO AND WATCH IT. NOW!

There are 4 seasons of goodness for you to catch up on, so get started.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:27 pm
Director

Starting off with three for each categories.

Drama:

Hannibal - this is really comparable to The Americans in that it already has a very good first season that establish its world, and then steps up in every regard for its second season. Dreamy, beautiful, almost hypnotic show, despite its horror genre.

Mad Men - It's ending next year. I don't share the sentiment, but completely and absolutely understand by people saying "TV's best show." Our Ken loves it too. It's a subtle but powerful show. Its period details are impeccable, and power dynamic, cultural context of the times, and psychology of characters are engaging and well-acted.

Masters of Sex - This concerns the sex study of Dr. Williams Masters in the late 50s. Anchored by the terrific performances of Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan, it proves both a perceptive and surprisingly very fun show. Like Hannibal and The Americans, it improves on the already very good first season too.

Comedy:

Community - Self-awareness (meta) and effective character stories shouldn't mix, but this knocks it out of the park. It's my favorite comedy series.

Arrested Development - I might like Community more, but if I'm being objective, this is better, and maybe the most well constructed comedy ever made. Intricate joke layer upon layer that can both pay off in the moment and also in the next several episodes (or even next season!).

Brooklyn Ninety-Nine - From the creators of Parks and Rec, and the show found its footing a lot earlier and firmer. After a few or five episodes, the chemistry of the cast and quality of the jokes are just delightful.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:54 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
How about Newsroom? It's a pretty good mixture of comedy and drama and it's Aaron Sorkin's best work to date.

Hmm. I found the pilot dreadful and never continued, despite my love for Sam Waterston. I know many hate it, but that's no big deal. Perhaps I'll give it another shot.

Ragna:: apologies, I made a mistake by not listing GoT. I do watch and love it (and am a book reader as well! I should delve into the thread here!). Wish I could watch it for the first time.

Peng & Steven: I've been pointed toward Louie and Community by many I love and simply haven't delved in. Both of you speaking so well makes me think I should.

I'll keep you all up to date... but keep the recommendations coming!

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:08 am
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Hmm. I found the pilot dreadful and never continued, despite my love for Sam Waterston. I know many hate it, but that's no big deal. Perhaps I'll give it another shot.

Ragna:: apologies, I made a mistake by not listing GoT. I do watch and love it (and am a book reader as well! I should delve into the thread here!). Wish I could watch it for the first time.

Peng & Steven: I've been pointed toward Louie and Community by many I love and simply haven't delved in. Both of you speaking so well makes me think I should.

I'll keep you all up to date... but keep the recommendations coming!

The pilot wasn't the show's best episode, but I certainly didn't think it was dreadful, that said the show does get better from there.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:01 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
The pilot wasn't the show's best episode, but I certainly didn't think it was dreadful, that said the show does get better from there.

I guess it wasn't dreadful, per se. It was clearly well-made, but way too long, and that ending speech was as on-the-nose and unsubtle as a speech in Fireproof or one of Steven Seagal's enviromental "thrillers."

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:18 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I guess it wasn't dreadful, per se. It was clearly well-made, but way too long, and that ending speech was as on-the-nose and unsubtle as a speech in Fireproof or one of Steven Seagal's enviromental "thrillers."

I personally loved the speech(and I definitely wouldn't compare it to a shitfest like Fireproof), but I can see why others would find it off-putting.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:55 pm
Gaffer

I didn't see Justified in any of the replies. Really well done show based on Elmore Leonard's Fire in the Hole starring Deadwood's Timothy Olyphant and The Shield's Walton Coggins. If you loved Deadwood, you'll probably like this. Five seasons in the books, and a final 6th season to tie it all together is due out sometime early next year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1489428/

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:59 pm
Producer

Ok, Shade. Here are my recommendations

The Street and The Accused are both UK productions developed by Jimmy McGovern and featuring the best of the UK's TV and Film acting talent. Get onto them ASAP!

Luther - as previously mentioned much to everyone's blatent fucking ignorance (why I continue to login here is a fucking mystery). Far-fetched but damn entertaining.

Orange is the New Black - not top draw stuff, but not bad either

Ta

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:53 am
Second Unit Director

A couple I binged off of Netflix a few years ago:

Spaced - Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright pre-Shaun of the Dead. Amusing Brit-Com (I'm sure NotHughGrant hates that term) that ran 2 seasons

Battlestar Galactica - The newer Sci-Fi channel re-boot. I watched the pilot when it aired the first time but never got into the series. Bingeing in over Netflix meant not having to wait months between seasons, which was nice. Some of the online mini-sodes which were filmed between final seasons and bridged the storylines were still up on Syfy website, but those just added some flavor; were not required viewing.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:09 am
Producer

Guapo wrote:
I didn't see Justified in any of the replies. Really well done show based on Elmore Leonard's Fire in the Hole starring Deadwood's Timothy Olyphant and The Shield's Walton Coggins. If you loved Deadwood, you'll probably like this. Five seasons in the books, and a final 6th season to tie it all together is due out sometime early next year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1489428/

Justified is one of my favorites as well.

And funny too because I just finished watching The Americans season 1 last night. It's another great show for FX.

I don't understand how 24 is a cheat. But if you thought that show as a cheat, I'd wonder if you like Prison Break. The first season is amazing, the second season is flawed but still good. Season 3 is back to being great. Season 4 begins with great promise but by the end becomes a little silly. And the TV movie The Final Break, is a nice cap off to the series.

Revenge is a hugely addictive, compulsively watchable show with a great ensemble cast. Although season 2 is a little uneven and by now the show has gotten kind of silly. It's also currently at a turning point. This new direction they currently are going for the show is either going to be a stroke a genius or a jump the shark moment for the show. I doubt it'll be anything in between. We shall see when the show returns next month.

Person of Interest is absolutely one of my favorite shows. But be forewarned. This show is not kind to newcomers. I suggest watching it from the beginning. You try watching it now and you'll be hopelessly lost. It's not available to stream on netflix though. You'd have to rent the DVD's.

I love the CW's Arrow. It's another show that has seriously become a favorite of mine. Season two is not yet available on netflix.

One show I love that is available on netflix to stream is Fringe. If you love sci-fi, I can't see how you wouldn't love this show. Alias is awesome too.

One show not available on netflix to stream but it's a current fave for me is Homeland. Sure, season 3 was uneven, but I still thought it was over all, pretty good. And seasons 1 and 2 are fantastic.

As far as sitcoms, my current favorite would be Parks and Recreation. If you love the office I think you'll like this one. Although I'm not sure about the UK version of the Office. Never seen it.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:34 pm
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
I don't understand how 24 is a cheat. But if you thought that show as a cheat, I'd wonder if you like Prison Break. The first season is amazing, the second season is flawed but still good. Season 3 is back to being great. Season 4 begins with great promise but by the end becomes a little silly. And the TV movie The Final Break, is a nice cap off to the series.

I'm not trying to be harsh. Season 1 has aged very well, and is genuinely suspenseful, although I do have a lot of issue with fake cliffhangers. The most popular is the end of Season 2, which ends on a major cliffhanger that gets shoved aside and never dealt with. That's what I mean: you couldn't trust 24 to deal with the consequences of the choices it made, and that lowered the stakes significantly, and what in Season 1 and most of 2 was a suspenseful, serious, interesting show became an entertaining but silly show.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:12 pm
Cinematographer

How about something a little more vintage? I recommend Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner. '60s television at its most bizarre and brilliant, and at only 17 1-hour episodes it doesn't take the same kind of exhaustive time commitment as some of the other suggestions listed so far.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Johnny Larue wrote:
A couple I binged off of Netflix a few years ago:

Spaced - Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright pre-Shaun of the Dead. Amusing Brit-Com (I'm sure NotHughGrant hates that term) that ran 2 seasons

Yeah, the missus and I did all of Spaced in a marathon sitting last year. Good stuff

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:54 am
Director

As far as recent shows, you can't go wrong with Fargo... especially if you're a fan of the film.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:55 am
Auteur

A few others i'd recommend if you haven't already seen them: Sopranos and Oz.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:24 am
Producer

Gotta add Veronica Mars to my list. Just finished the first season and I love and adore it. Kristen Bell as Veronica Mars might just have over taken Joey Potter (Katie Holmes) and Sydney Bristow (Jennifer Garner) as my all time favorite crush on television!

I'm also watching the first season of Hannibal and it's fantastic as well.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:44 pm