Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:44 am

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt 
Cinematographer

Post Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
I was told about this show by a friend who loved it, so I watched the first episode this past Saturday. I've now gone and watched rest of the entire 13-episode season, and I have to say, I like this show a lot more than I thought I would. The premise of the show was very interesting to me from the get-go: a woman who was trapped in a bunker for 15 years by the leader of an apocalyptic cult is freed and decides to move forward and live her life in New York City of all places.

The eponymous character played by Ellie Kemper is charmingly naive but optimistic in a way that managed to break through my layer of cynicism. Titus Burgess as the gay roommate Titus Andromedon provides a great comedic foil to Kimmy- in particular, the scene near the end of the season where he became famous in a way he didn't anticipate was freaking hilarious. As this show was co-created and produced by Tina Fey, I wasn't overly shocked or displeased to see Jane Krakowski in the role of Jacqueline Voorhees, the unsatisfied wife of a billionaire who has her own secrets. Carol Kane as the landlady Lillian was also hilarious throughout as another supporting player.

Finally, I gotta say that I thought that Jon Hamm was a show-stealer in his limited role as the reverend of the cult. Overall, this show is good one if not too easy to get to, since it is currently a Netflix exclusive. Perhaps it will find its way to network television in the future, assuming that it lasts beyond its 2nd season.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:34 pm