Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Game of Thrones
I watched "Breaker of Chains" (episode #3) last night and found it OK if a letdown from the previous episode, though this was to be expected after what had happened. My thoughts on the episode:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Right away, they show Lord Tywin taking over the education of Tommen as Joffrey's successor as king following the little shitbag's death. They seem to be reinforcing two notions: the incompetence of Cersei as any sort of parent and the importance that Tywin holds for House Lannister. I almost feel sorry for them once this season is over. Almost.
- The adventures of The Hound and The She-Wolf continue. I didn't mind the interplay between Sandor and Arya, but I wish more had happened with the 2 of them.
- Just in case anyone who isn't a reader had perhaps forgotten: Jaime really likes fucking his sister a lot.
- One of the more interesting scenes came between Lord Tywin and Oberyn as they discussed various subjects including Elia's murder and Oberyn's potential role as one of the judges. In the books, there was no direct interaction between these two characters though it was heavily hinted at, and I think the writers did a fine job of carrying it off in the episode. It helps that Charles Dance and Pedro Pascal performed well in this scene.
- Speaking of Oberyn: it just wouldn't be a GoT episode without some fine female (and male) nudity, would it? However, in this case, it is not simple gratuitous and is in perfect keeping with the character of Oberyn Martell. The man is one horny bastard.
- They are doing well with building up the circumstances which will drive Tyrion to do what he will very likely do at the end of this season, as there is injustice abounding for the Imp of Lannister. I had originally thought that Shae was going to die at Tywin's hands, but I'm starting to think that they will stay closer to the book in that regard after all. We'll see, though.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:14 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Just in case anyone who isn't a reader had perhaps forgotten: Jaime really likes fucking his sister a lot.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Ha.... yea. One of the biggest topics of discussion and debate these past few days has been the rape scene. An obvious change from the books - where it was more or less consentual. Was that necessary? Considering the redemption arc that the writers seemed to have Jaime set on, it seemed out of place. Perhaps it was to underscore how violence is still core to Jaime's character ... but still, I dunno about that choice...

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:42 am
Cinematographer

Taleswapper wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Ha.... yea. One of the biggest topics of discussion and debate these past few days has been the rape scene. An obvious change from the books - where it was more or less consentual. Was that necessary? Considering the redemption arc that the writers seemed to have Jaime set on, it seemed out of place. Perhaps it was to underscore how violence is still core to Jaime's character ... but still, I dunno about that choice...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It wasn't a HUGE change from what happened in ASoS, in my opinion. In the book, Jaime got back to King's Landing, went to the sept where Cersei was standing over Joffrey's body, then basically took her almost by force. Cersei did protest at first, but she didn't do so for very long. It was also implied later that Jaime would have sex with Cersei even at times when she didn't want to, though I wouldn't of course go as far as to say it was rape. The scene in the episode kept the protests by Cersei but for longer than they went on in the book.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:34 am
Cinematographer

I watched "Breaker of Chains" again and realized that the funniest line of the entire episode came courtesy of Shireen Baratheon of all people:

"You won't be a good Hand if you see the word 'knight' and say 'kuh-nig-hit'."

Good times. :lol:

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:08 am
Cinematographer

Ok, watched the 4th episode, Oathkeeper, and have the following thoughts:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- In case anyone was questioning Danaerys' status as a badass woman after last season, her notion of justice after taking Meereen is there to show that she is not some weak little girl fucking around.
- Bran and Co. in the hands of the Night's Watch mutineers at Craster's Keep? This is a fairly large deviation from the books. This could perhaps signal their meeting with Coldhands if the show's producers decided to include his character, as he was the one who killed the mutineers in the novels. Then again, since Jon in the TV series knows that Bran is alive and north of the Wall, I guess he may as well just rescue him too.
- Margaery starts her campaign of influence upon young Tommen. For a second, I thought she was going to go nude and try to teach the boy about sex. Thankfully, they didn't go down the statutory rape route, as it's fairly clear that Margaery is quite older in the show than in the books.
- Speaking of Margaery, it was made fairly clear in the episode that she was unaware of her grandmother's involvement in the death of the little shit king. The novels seemed to imply that Margaery was a student/collaborator of her elderly matriarch and that she was learning to play the game, but I guess they didn't go into enough details to make this a real deviation between book and TV series.
- I'm guessing that Brienne and Podrick won't be seen again for most if not all of the remainder of this season which makes sense, as it would allow the show to focus on the characters of Tyrion and Bran not to mention poor Theon.
- The last part of the episode was almost a spoiler for me as a reader fan of the show, as the books have not (at least yet) gone into any details as to what the Others (White Walkers) did with Craster's male offspring. Turning them into new Others is an interesting twist, but now I'm curious as to when Martin is going to explain this in more detail in the novels.
- The show is starting to put more and more emphasis on the fact that Cersei is not as smart as she thinks she is, as Jaime and Littlefinger have shown to the audience.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:57 am
Cinematographer

So, after watching the 5th episode (The First of His Name) for a second time, I have the following thoughts:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- So now it's been revealed that Littlefinger has basically been responsible for the events that led to the deaths of Ned, Catelyn, and Robb. However, this was revealed outside of the presence of Sansa, unlike in the book, so it remains to be seen how she will learn that Littlefinger basically destroyed her family.
- I'm sure that many fans will be disappointed that Bran and Jon didn't actually end up reunited at Craster's Keep. If it makes them feel better: Jon and Bran never got even that close to each other in the book at that point in the story.
- I think that reader fans may have been given a spoiler in the conversation between Tywin and Cersei, specifically when he reveals the true state of Lannister finances. Then again, it may just be more license being taken with the source material.
- Lysa Arryn is being painted as pretty fucking crazy in the show, even more so than in the book. It makes sense, because it helps to explain her actions to the audience.
- Goodbye, Karl and Locke. At least you were given fairly spectacular deaths in the battle at Craster's Keep. It was also nice to see Rast feeding Ghost so generously...
- The relationship between Pod and Brienne is being started off fairly nicely with the displays of his incompetence outside of a city prompting her to take pity on the poor boy.
- It was nice to see Arya showing off her moves before trying to skewer the Hound. Maybe we'll see him tying her up in his blankets after all...

Mon May 05, 2014 7:54 pm
Cinematographer

My thoughts on episode 6 (The Laws of Gods and Men):
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- I guess Yara Greyjoy won't end up being captured by Stannis and Co on the other side of the north of Westeros as she was in the books.
- Speaking of Stannis: we got to see some more of the 5th book plot worked into the current season, as he deals with the Iron Bank of Braavos (in Braavos no less). He needed money for men, and he got it, so now we get an explanation for how he will be doing stuff later this season and in the seasons to come.
- If you don't feel sorry for Theon by this point, you're not human.
- The trial finally got underway this episode, and it was fairly well-done in terms of showing what a farce it was. Mr. Dinklage put on a great performance at the end of the episode in showing Tyrion's anger at the complete injustice of his supposedly-fair trial. It provides an excellent explanation for his transition in the coming episodes and seasons.
- Ok, so my theory about how Shae would be used in these episodes looks like it was shot to hell, as they decided not to stray too far from the books after all. However, they did seem to change the motivation behind her betrayal of Tyrion- in the books, Shae was motivated purely by self-interest and greed. In this and in earlier episodes, it would seem that Shae's motivation seems to be anger at being dumped by Tyrion in a lack of understanding of why he did it. It was likely done to give more weight to a certain upcoming scene in this season, I think.
- Clearly, the makers of the show are going to lengths to show that Jaime is fighting for his brother out of love. This actually seems to be more fleshing out than Jaime got in the books where it came to his relationship with Tyrion (in the books, his saving of Tyrion was more sudden and almost like deus ex machina in terms of its occurrence).

Things are heating up in terms of the politics in this season, and I'm looking forward to the last 3 episodes.

Mon May 12, 2014 2:08 am
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:

Things are heating up in terms of the politics in this season, and I'm looking forward to the last 3 episodes.

Meh...so I'm not human. That little prick had it coming after the events at Winterfell.

There are 4 more episodes yet this season, no?

Mon May 12, 2014 9:20 am
Cinematographer

Johnny Larue wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Meh...so I'm not human. That little prick had it coming after the events at Winterfell.

There are 4 more episodes yet this season, no?

Theon made some mistakes, but they were more due to his desire to belong and be acknowledged rather than being a vicious cunt like Joffrey. He didn't deserve what has happened to him, IMO.

You're right, it's 4 more episodes. Even more goodness than I was anticipating!

Mon May 12, 2014 12:21 pm
Director

I really wouldn't call it "some mistakes" although Ramsey Snow shouldn't happen upon anybody I agree.

As for this episode, Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance acting off each other is phenomenal.

Best episode of the season since the second one, and they both have similar pattern. I wish they would do this more often; snippets of other stories to keep them up to date, and then devote the second half to one prominent story line and build its momentum until the end, to not let the episode feel too scattered (this is a part why I still like season 1 the best; groups of characters concentrated into three or four places together with great build up and momentum).

Mon May 12, 2014 2:13 pm
Cinematographer

My thoughts on the latest episode, Mockingbird:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Good riddance to that bitch Lysa. In terms of wishy-washy weak people that I hated in the series, Lysa was right at the top of the list. Kate Dickie did a good job of conveying those negative qualities of that character that would make viewers wish for her death.
- Peter Dinklage Emmy-potential moment #2 of the season came in the scene with Oberyn telling Tyrion about what happened in their first meeting. If anyone ever wondered why Tyrion would say later (in A Dance With Dragons) that the only reward he would seek for helping to bring his own family down is to be allowed to rape and kill his sister, this scene should answer that question very conclusively.
- Brienne and Pod are proving to be a fairly entertaining duo to watch as they quest to find Sansa...and now Arya, thanks to the return of the Hot Pie. The moment when Hot Pie started babbling about kidney pie was fairly hilarious for me.
- Arya continues to develop into Little Miss Badass- the only question seems to be when she will be able to start on her Roaring Rampage of Bloody Revenge. Of course, it is starting to look as if the Hound will not be one of those that she crosses off her list.
- It's going to be nice to see what happens when the wildlings finally attack the Wall and the Night's Watch, if only because I'm getting sick of seeing Ser Alliser's dumb face. Also, I think many viewers will be in for a treat with regards to another member of that ruling council (our good friend Janos Slynt) later in the narrative, assuming that they hold to the books in that regard.
- I'm fairly sure that the scene with Melisandre in her bath and Selyse was an excuse for gratuitous nudity. However, the fact that it was Carice Van Houten who got nekkid more than justified it.
- Speaking of nekkid, female viewers got a little service too as Daario got down and dirty at the command of Dany. The look on Dany's face as she stared at his junk was quite...interesting.

Three more episodes to go now- I can't wait.

Mon May 19, 2014 10:19 pm
Second Unit Director

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'm enjoying the fourth season, episodes one and two were amazing, and the last one was nearly as good. Episodes three - six frustrated me a little, especially with the role Kharleesi plays. She's barely fucking in it, and when she is, she has one or two lines of dialogue, that feel like they come straight out of King Solomon's mouth. It's a bit of a tease really.

I think the main problem I'm having watching this on a week by week basis, is that you don't want each episode to end, and when the credits roll, it's a little frustrating.

I watched the first three seasons over a about a one month time span and found it much more rewarding. GOT to me, is a television show that's much better to watch a season at a time, rather than a week to week basis. That being said, I know what I'll be doing next Monday night.

My favorite part of this season has been the interaction between The Hound and Arya Stark. I've never seen interaction quite like this between a young girl and a seasoned Warrior. He drops the word "cunt" around her all the time which always brings a chuckle. I'm still trying to work out if she wants to kill him too, which is an excellent bit of byplay writing.

Keep up the good work here Ragnarok73, I still get a little lost with the convoluted story line at times, so it's good reading this thread and getting a firm grasp.

Tue May 20, 2014 12:56 pm
Cinematographer

wisey wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
My favorite part of this season has been the interaction between The Hound and Arya Stark. I've never seen interaction quite like this between a young girl and a seasoned Warrior. He drops the word "cunt" around her all the time which always brings a chuckle. I'm still trying to work out if she wants to kill him too, which is an excellent bit of byplay writing.

I think that the series has done an excellent job of portraying this interaction from what occurred in the books. I still wish that Arya had been a bit younger in the TV series, however, since a large part of the fun in those scenes came from her youthful outlook on the situation.

wisey wrote:
Keep up the good work here Ragnarok73, I still get a little lost with the convoluted story line at times, so it's good reading this thread and getting a firm grasp.

Thanks, but I don't consider it work at all. I loved the book series, and the TV series is more than doing it justice. Peter Dinklage in particular deserves credit for bringing the Imp to life- he truly has become the face of the series.

Tue May 20, 2014 5:43 pm
Cinematographer

Ok, I watched the 8th episode, The Mountain and The Viper, for a second time because so much happened before I posted my thoughts:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- The attack on Mole's Town means that the battle at Castle Black is likely happening in the next episode- the fact that the upcoming episode is called "The Watchers on the Wall" gives a fairly large clue to this too. Ygritte shows that she is not completely inhuman with Gilly and her baby, which is a nice touch given what is going to happen in the upcoming battle.'
- I get that they want to make more of the characters of Gray Worm and Missandei, but jeez, they don't have to use nudity to do it. I didn't mind, because Nathalie Emmanuel certainly isn't hard on the eyes, but jeezus- this is especially the case when you consider that Grey Worm is a fucking eunuch who couldn't follow through with his lust/love for Missandei. I'm starting to get this feeling that the series may make another departure from the books in terms of characters by making it so that the masters of Astapor did not in fact remove everything when they castrated the Unsullied, so that part about Grey Worm not being able to follow through may not prove to be true in the end. I guess I found this scene a little jarring because of the fact that in the books, Missandei is a very young girl (10-11 years old).
- We got a fairly large departure from the books in the scene with Sansa speaking to the lords and lady of the Vale. In the books, she has not yet revealed to anyone that she is Sansa Stark of Winterfell, as she is hiding her identity from everyone at Littlefinger's behest. However, I did like how they worked it into her story which absolved Petyr of responsibility in Lysa's death as far as the lords/lady are concerned. The dialogue in her later scenes with Lord Baelish were brilliant- I especially loved it when Petyr mentioned dying while squatting on a chamber pot (as anyone who has read the books will know as foreshadowing) and made a pointed reference to Robin's time as Lord of the Vale lasting for "as long as he lives", as it is highly unlikely that he will survive the series. One last note: Sansa's new look is a nod to the kind of tutelage that she will be receiving from Littlefinger- the fact that she is showing cleavage is a fairly large indicator in itself.
- On the note of the Vale: I just loved Arya's reaction to the news of her aunt's death at the Gate of the Moon. Maisie Williams has done a marvelous job of bringing her character to life.
- Ramsay is now a Bolton rather than a Snow. This is another instance of where scenes from the following books (in this case, book 5) have been interwoven into the action from what is still happening in book 3. The scene with Theon at Moat Cailin is a very clear-cut example of this, changes aside.
- I liked the duel scene which gave this episode its name- they worked in real-life martial arts forms in Oberyn's fighting technique with the spear, and this in many ways makes it more plausible than it sounded in the original scene from the book. Oh, and boy, did they ever go in a more explicit direction where it came to the conclusion of the duel than the book did- wow, gore fans will be happy after seeing that shit.
- I'm still trying to figure out what the point of Tyrion's talk with Jaime about their dimwitted cousin and his predilection for crushing beetles with a rock. Perhaps it was a reference to what Tyrion sees as senseless violence (which pretty much makes up the entire world that he lives in) and his attempt to make sense of it without finding an answer. On a final note: I liked when Jaime was the one who mentioned that there is no term for killing cousins, given what he did to poor Alton in season 2.

Overall, it was a great episode, and it should be setting up a potent finale within the final two episodes of the season.

Last edited by Ragnarok73 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:22 am
Director

Wow way, way bloodier than I expected. So much foreshadowing too. And I see they didn't wait long to amp up the creepy at the Vale.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:25 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Wow way, way bloodier than I expected. So much foreshadowing too. And I see they didn't wait long to amp up the creepy at the Vale.

Technically, what happened at the end wasn't bloodier than in the books. It's just that they SHOWED it in more detail than the books did. The books heavily implied it without actually describing the results. I think perhaps the producers wanted the audience to get the same sick feeling that Tyrion had when witnessing it.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:31 am
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:

Overall, it was a great episode, and it should be setting up a potent finale within the final two episodes of the season.

Oh fuck yeah. Will read your thoughts in more detail tomorrow after some sleep, but there was so many "what the fuck" twists in that episode, I had a bit of trouble piecing it all together. First thought; that was one of the best fight scenes I can recall in anything for quite some time and far superior to anything in the 37 episodes before it.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:30 am
Cinematographer

One more thought on the last episode:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Arya's talk to Sandor about why he will never be a great killer was some good foreshadowing with regards to her own path in life following the events of this season. I can't wait to see her as the badass killer!

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:01 pm
Director

It seems this episode upsets the show-only people more than I expected, almost on the level of Red Wedding. I guess that's what you get from amping up the awesomeness of that character even more than the book.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:06 pm
Second Unit Director

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I think you spoke about this somewhere in an earlier episode, but my partner and I literally pressed pause last night to try and figure out exactly what was happening when Khaleesi told Jorah to get the fuck out of Meereen.
I’d questioned his motives right throughout, he was mentioned as being a traitor few times in seasons 1 & 2, but I thought he’d gone past that point and genuinely loved and cared about her. Was he feeding information to Lord Varys right throughout to see her eventually get killed? I couldn’t get a firm grasp on it.

I’ll eventually watch GOT from start to finish again, there’s a hell of a lot of names and storylines that are hard to keep track of after just one viewing.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:57 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next