Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Post Game of Thrones
For all of you fans of George R.R. Martin's fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire, it looks like things are finally getting underway with the TV adaptation with the pilot, called Game of Thrones. I for one am happy to hear that things have gotten started. The fact that Martin himself gave his endorsement of the script for staying true to his novels has helped stoke that optimism. Another fact that makes me happy is that it's HBO that the series will be produced for.

UPDATE - December 21/10: As the website Winter is Coming has compiled a constantly updated list of the cast members, I'm just going to post a link to it here:

Game of Thrones Cast - Winter is Coming

Most of the cast thus far are relatively unknown on this side of the Atlantic with the exceptions of Sean Bean, Lena Headey (she was in 300, The Brothers Grimm, and on TV she was star of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), maybe Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (he's done a couple of TV shows over here, I think), and possibly James Cosmo (from films with Scots in them, like Braveheart or Highlander). For those who are interested in following this further, the best place to go is here.

Last edited by Ragnarok73 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 22 times in total.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:20 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
I am more excited about this than anything else coming up. Fingers crossed HBO does it right.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:14 pm
Peterson wrote:
I am more excited about this than anything else coming up. Fingers crossed HBO does it right.

The very fact that it's HBO piques my interest. They've turned out some of the best shows in the past decade, so I've got some faith that they'll do Martin's series justice.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:48 pm
To bad Martin takes so damn long between books!

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:57 pm
Peterson wrote:
To bad Martin takes so damn long between books!

Yeah. Like Robert Jordan, I'm worried that Martin will not live to finish his series at the rate he's going. Argh, any word on A Dance with Dragons would be nice, but it doesn't look like he'll have it finished by the end of this month. :evil:

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:21 pm
Sean Bean is going to play Eddard Stark, Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon, and a couple never-heard-ofs to play a couple other roles.

I'm curious how much "gap-filling" the show will do. One of the traits of Martin's books is you have to (sometimes, not often) fill in the gaps a bit as to what happened because the character POV will shift, and maybe there'll be a time-shift, and you have to infer the exact conclusion to events based on that new POV (since the new POV wasn't necessarily there, you're getting second or third hand accounts instead). Will the show take this tact also or be a bit more explicit I wonder.

Either way, this might make me sign up for HBO.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:38 pm
Worthing wrote:
Sean Bean is going to play Eddard Stark, Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon, and a couple never-heard-ofs to play a couple other roles.

I'm curious how much "gap-filling" the show will do. One of the traits of Martin's books is you have to (sometimes, not often) fill in the gaps a bit as to what happened because the character POV will shift, and maybe there'll be a time-shift, and you have to infer the exact conclusion to events based on that new POV (since the new POV wasn't necessarily there, you're getting second or third hand accounts instead). Will the show take this tact also or be a bit more explicit I wonder.

Either way, this might make me sign up for HBO.

The gap-filling in the original books should actually make it easier for the producers of the TV series, IMO. This is because they can then condense the events and worry less about missing anything important.

I did hear about the new casting decisions myself- I think it's great to see Sean Bean as Ned Stark. I also remember Mark Eddy from The Full Monty. I'm not sure how well Mark will carry off Robert's temper, but being a jolly fat bastard should be well within his reach. I do remember one of the relatively unknown child actors (Jack Gleeson, who's playing Joffrey Baratheon) from a small role he had in Batman Begins. It'll be interesting to see if he can carry off Joffrey's manner in the series.

All in all, I can't wait! :D

Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:51 pm
This is making me wholly excited!

Seriously, if they wanted an epic series, Game of Thrones is A+ material. With the right director, and good editing, I can't think of a better book to screen adaptation than this.

The twists and turns will have EVERYONE on thier toes. And they don't stop either in Books 2 and 3.

They just better do it right!

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:14 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Peterson wrote:

The very fact that it's HBO piques my interest. They've turned out some of the best shows in the past decade, so I've got some faith that they'll do Martin's series justice.

Let's just thank our lucky stars that it isn't on the SyFy (sic) channel...

Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:22 am
More casting's been done for the pilot- it's been reported that 5 roles were cast over this past weekend. Martin himself confirmed that the role of Theon Greyjoy had been cast, and later it was confirmed that Jaime Lannister had been cast as well. I'm really interested to see who's been cast as Jaime since he's arguably one of the harder roles to fill. I'm hopeful that Arya Stark was one of the other roles that were filled recentlly, but we'll see. If anyone's interested, here's the link to a site that's tracking information on the series:

Winter Is Coming

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:47 pm
*Moved to first message in the thread.*

Last edited by Ragnarok73 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:03 pm
Well, it's just been confirmed that Lena Headey (who was recently the star of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) will be playing Cersei Lannister. It also appears that Rory McCann (you may know him as the "Yarp" guy from Hot Fuzz) will be playing Sandor Clegane.

I have mixed feelings about Headey being cast as Cersei. On the one hand, I don't think that Lena *looks* like Cersei as she's described in the books: blonde and with a nice curvaceous and *buxom* body. I know that makeup and costuming can solve those issues (along with a little plastic surgery for that chest <*wink*>), so that's not a huge concern for me. On the other hand, I think that Lena's a pretty good actress, and in the end that's the more important thing. We'll just have to see how she does.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:24 pm
I know i'm late so don't hate too hard, but I just started reading Game of Thrones and man this series could be absolutely phenominal. I'm not too far in yet but am completely enjoying the story thus far. I'm really excited for it to be done on HBO and equally stoked that Sean Bean is attached. Thanks for the updates guys and keep them coming.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:54 pm
I did hear about the new casting decisions myself- I think it's great to see Sean Bean as Ned Stark.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:12 am
I'm bumping this with another update as the cast has now been pretty much filled out. At this point, filming is nearly done for most of the main cast members, so early 2010 looks like a fairly safe bet for the airdate of the pilot.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:35 pm
Yeah I've been reading that blog that you previously linked. It seems that all the actors believe this show is going to get picked up, which would be incredible. Some of the filming locations they have are gorgeous. All the scenes with Dani/Khal Drago are going to be filmed in Moracco apparently.

I'm about halfway through A Storm of Swords now and god I wish Martin would stop doing weekly conventions, sit his big ass down, and finish this series. If he Robert Jordon's this series, I may never be a complete person again....

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:16 pm
stiefmo wrote:
I'm about halfway through A Storm of Swords now and god I wish Martin would stop doing weekly conventions, sit his big ass down, and finish this series. If he Robert Jordon's this series, I may never be a complete person again....

The thing with A Dance With Dragons (the upcoming 5th book) is that Martin said that it and A Feast For Crows were both part of the same book, and that he had so much material that he had to split them into separate books. Martin also said in his notes at the end of A Feast For Crows that the 2nd half should be a breeze to finish because he had so much material. That was 4 years ago. :cry:

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:33 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, 4 years ago and he was hoping Dance would be out soon... on his last blog post update on it... he's still not done with the rough draft.

Is there a smiley ripping it's hair out that I could use? :twisted:

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:02 pm
Chances are, if this series gets picked up which judging by the fan fare it most likely will, the 5th season may be out before the 5th book. Patrick Rothfuss the writer of In the Name of the Wind (also awaiting an update to the series) wrote a blog about this process today that's pretty amusing. http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/blog.html

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:19 pm
stiefmo wrote:
Chances are, if this series gets picked up which judging by the fan fare it most likely will, the 5th season may be out before the 5th book. Patrick Rothfuss the writer of In the Name of the Wind (also awaiting an update to the series) wrote a blog about this process today that's pretty amusing. http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/blog.html

Poor Patrick- he has had very valid reasons for the delays in the publication of the anticipated 2nd book. It seems like he's had more personal stuff to deal with than Job in the past 5 months. I guess on the bright side, Patrick didn't get hit with a rare disease like the one that killed James Oliver Rigney (aka Robert Jordan).

Speaking of which, I await my copy of The Gathering Storm (start of the end of the Wheel of Time) series) which gets mailed to me today. I've heard good things about Brandon Sanderson's handling of the start of the final chapter, but we'll see once I get my chance to read the book.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next