Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:30 am

Arrested Development (Spoilers Welcome) 
Post Re: Arrested Development (Spoilers Welcome)
Ryan wrote:
It's nice to know that this isn't just a rumor, no, it's a real, actual thing that will happen. But I just can not wait until there are actually set reports that it is in fact shooting. I don't think I'm looking forward more to any other feature film than this.

I second that - it will be a glorious day supposing this hits theaters. I may "blue myself" for the premiere (I just realized this joke doesn't really work in the future tense).

And yeah I agree, the Sit Down, Shut Up pilot was mediocre. It was mostly poking fun at stereotypes although there were some glimpses of great humor in there. Hopefully it'll hit its stride in the next few episodes or so.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:08 pm
Come on!

Bump.

Thu May 21, 2009 2:05 am
I rewatched the third to last episode last night because I was feeling depressed. To no surprise, I felt better afterward. "Nichael was worried."

Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:25 pm
"What about macaroni... let me finish... salad?!"

While strolling through a local Targsbuywal-sams, this about two months back, I happened upon the three seasons of Arrested Development for a combined price of $18.00. "Buy it!" screamed the little man that lives inside of my inner ear. And buy it I did.

Not so much a sit-com as it was an incredibly bizarre, brilliantly written 20-hour movie. I'd (un)successfully ignored the legend that grew around the series until my pesky (and easily-influenced-by-several-posters) conscience demanded the blind buy and I can't tell you how f*cking delighted I am that I gave into my stupid impulse to purchase 8 DVDs sight unseen.

That being said, and as brilliant as the show was, the cancellation of Arrested Development makes perfect sense. If I had leapt into the series somewhere in the middle of the second season I'm 100% sure I would have been bewildered. How could this program have hoped for anything more than a devoted cult following and three nearly flawless seasons? How could a program that featured not one, not two, but at least a half-dozen 'chicken dances' ("Coo coo ca cha! Coo coo ca cha!" answered with "Chaw chi! Chaw chi! Chaw chi!" answered with "Have any of you ever seen a chicken?") hang on for a fourth season? This show would have found a better home on HBO or Showtime or another pay network... FOX, those whores of Seth Macfarlane's wares, just can't sell a show like this. Couldn't... couldn't sell a show like this.

Great stuff; the seasons all blended together to form a very big, very strange object of hilarity. Object of Hilarity.

Pictured: Object of Hilarity

I'm looking forward to starting the series again and, although its been said many times in this thread, that movie can't come out fast enough. I just hope Jesse Eisenberg can pull off Michael Cera's role with the same grace. Seriously. That Eisenberg guy is everywhere. Creepy fella, no? Kind of like a parallel universe Michael Cera sent to this universe to compete for our affections.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:20 am
Like it...

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:39 am
Favorite scene- the "literal" doctor at the hospital after George, Sr. was admitted with a heart attack. "We lost him".

Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:00 am
I came across this clip in YouTube and thought it made a fitting epitaph for a series that was pulled off the air before it should have been:

Why Arrested Development was cancelled.

I know that talk about the film is still going on, but IMO it's in development hell. Here's to a truly funny show that was never given a real chance by @#%@#% FOX.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:54 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:

I know that talk about the film is still going on, but IMO it's in development hell.

At this point I'm apt to agree. The latest news was Michael Cera "expecting" to do the movie and IMDB changing the status to "Announced". A movie can be "in production" for years prior to any actual footage being shot.

The same thing happened with Eli Roth's Cell; IMDB announced it and production was going strong for 8 months before Eli Roth said he wouldn't be shooting that movie "anytime soon".

I'm tired of the misleads! I want my Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair just like Tarantino promised! I want an Arrested Development movie! I want Eli Roth to direct something other than another sequel to Hostel!

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I'm tired of the misleads! I want my Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair just like Tarantino promised! I want an Arrested Development movie! I want Eli Roth to direct something other than another sequel to Hostel!

I WANT KILL BILL: THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR!! I WANT AN ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT MOVIE!! I WANT ELI ROTH TO MAKE ANOTHER GOOD MOVIE, NOT PULL A ROB ZOMBIE AND GIVE US ONE GOOD FILM FOLLOWED BY FAILURE AFTER FAILURE!!

...that's all I ask...

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:36 pm
Director

JJoshay wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I WANT KILL BILL: THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR!! I WANT AN ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT MOVIE!! I WANT ELI ROTH TO MAKE ANOTHER GOOD MOVIE, NOT PULL A ROB ZOMBIE AND GIVE US ONE GOOD FILM FOLLOWED BY FAILURE AFTER FAILURE!!

...that's all I ask...

Woh, woh! Eli Roth made a good movie? Do tell....

And I too crave an Arrested Development film, I think it'll happen. Only reason it wouldn't happen would be Michael Cera being a douche with his fame, but I'd like to think he'd have enough respect for those that discovered him in the first place that he would wanna do this....

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
I WANT AN ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT MOVIE!! I WANT ELI ROTH TO MAKE ANOTHER GOOD MOVIE, NOT PULL A ROB ZOMBIE AND GIVE US ONE GOOD FILM FOLLOWED BY FAILURE AFTER FAILURE!!

...that's all I ask...

And I too crave an Arrested Development film, I think it'll happen. Only reason it wouldn't happen would be Michael Cera being a douche with his fame, but I'd like to think he'd have enough respect for those that discovered him in the first place that he would wanna do this....

I think Cera would be willing to do an Arrested Development movie; who knows might be the best comedy to be released for years to come, I sure hope so.

And yeah, I happened to like the first Hostel well enough (not the sequel, that was as terrible as the first one should have been).

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:01 am
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Not just one good movie but two good movies. Cabin Fever was an enjoyable and spottily-clever mockery of horror schlock from the 70s -- not great filmmaking but a real entertaining 90 minutes.

Hostel, a movie I've praised a few times on this forum, worked (to about 70% capacity) as a surreal 'thriller' and just as well as a challenge to American perceptions of Life Abroad. It wasn't entirely effective in either arena but interesting and provocative enough for me to call the movie a genuine success. It struck me as something new (and unpleasant) but with the closing line of "I get a lot of money for you, and that makes you my bitch," I got the basics of what Eli Roth was saying to the audience.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:11 am
Director

Anyone watch it yet? It will be a long, long time before it comes anywhere near me. But from what I've read of the (spoiler-free) reactions, the general consensus looks like that the structure seems to be more one giant 8-hour episode rather than 15 individual episodes. Sounds ambitious, and as a result people seem to not taken with the first few to first half of episodes at first, but it gets better as it goes along, gaining steam and momentum, with many all-time classic jokes and a few all time top episodes in there. And many say that on rewatching them after finishing the season, they enjoy those first few episodes a whole lot more (because they work more as a set up?).

Damn, I really want to see these.

Thoughts from people here who have watched?

Mon May 27, 2013 4:41 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Anyone watch it yet? It will be a long, long time before it comes anywhere near me. But from what I've read of the (spoiler-free) reactions, the general consensus looks like that the structure seems to be more one giant 8-hour episode rather than 15 individual episodes. Sounds ambitious, and as a result people seem to not taken with the first few to first half of episodes at first, but it gets better as it goes along, gaining steam and momentum, with many all-time classic jokes and a few all time top episodes in there. And many say that on rewatching them after finishing the season, they enjoy those first few episodes a whole lot more (because they work more as a set up?).

Damn, I really want to see these.

Thoughts from people here who have watched?

I just finished up with all the episodes a couple nights ago, and those bolded parts of your post pretty much sum up my feelings. After the first few episodes, I wasn't quite sure if it was working for me, but it really comes together by the end in a way that is both satisfying and leaves you wanting more (and there are definitely plenty more places the show can take these characters). I think what I liked best about the new episodes is that they found a way to incorporate a lot of the show's history while also blazing forward in a new way. The callbacks to the first three seasons were more than simple fan service, which is always a concern when cancelled shows get a revival (I'm looking at you, Futurama). I was impressed, and I'm hoping this isn't the last time we'll be seeing the Bluth family.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:44 am
Profile WWW
Director

I'm going to wait on forming a definite opinion on this fourth season until after I've re-watched it. Some random thoughts of mine:

- Buster had one of the more interesting backstories, but we're only given one episode's worth of it. Plus, I thought Buster was underused throughout the entire season.

- Lindsey and Tobias are both saddled with new, rather uncompelling love interests (though the constant "Fantastic 4" suits received by the latter were quite funny).

- John Slattery was wasted with a rather superfluous character.

- George-Michael's backstory (especially the FakeBlock business) got less interesting the more we learned about it; ditto the whole 'Bluth life story' movie arc.

- What was up with John Beard getting so much screen time?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:54 am
Director

So now I am beginning the first watch of it, I think it would be interesting to record a few thoughts for each episode and then look back at the end of the season and see how it compares...

Ep.1 The Flight of the Phoenix - Now I see why many get skeptical after the first few episodes. It was very differnt in character dynamics, pacing, and stories than what has come before. More of a full-on dramedy than comedy now, but quite skilled as that too. I like how it dissects the character of Michael, showing how the flaws that are always apparent but subtle in the past to come forefront when he gets pushed into the deep end. His relationship with his son has evolved with him (along with George Michael itself, staying recognizably the same character but growing more independent; Michael Cera is quite good). I was suprised by how deepy felt the resolution of the "voting" is to me. All in all, defintely a strong start to a dfferent version of the show. 8/10 (Love the callbacks, especially the additional Captain Hook play and Peanuts music. Young Lucille is hilarious. And very intrigued by all the background events, hooks, and mysteries in the episode that will likely get resolved in the future, like the ostrich (best joke of the episode) and who was with Gobb)

Ep.2 Borderline Personalities - Now this was borderline a dud. Mostly set-up and not much of a story, and getting needlessly convoluted at many points, so much that I zoned out two times and has to rewind to absorb the law-and-money backstory that I assume are important for the future. Really, only saved by the comedic acting from George Sr., Lucille, and (briefly) Buster, although Dan Harmon cameo made me laugh for some reason. 6.5/10 (And that business with the cigarette is full-on classic AD)

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:33 am
Director

Ep.3 Indian Takers - This has the advantage of being the first one that features less past catchups and table-settings, being a story with a clear arc. Although the actress who plays Lindsay is game, I can't help but feel her story after India (really hilarious btw) loses a lot of steam towards the end. The wonderful, inventive restaurant concept though bumps this up at least half a point. 7.5/10

Ep.4 The B. Team - Like this more than most. It's not as good as Michael's first episode, and the timeline-jumping got my head spin somewhat, but I like all the riffs and cameos on Hollywood and it might be one of the less darker episodes. Really welcome appearances of regular guests from the original run too. 7.5/10

Ep.5 A New Start - The best so far. After his less-land-impressive appearance in his wife's episode, I thought spending time with Tobias for a full ep would be trouble, but he really has a wonderful, touching, fully-formed story, even if it gets really dark at times. Like the first episode of the season, this one dissects the character and confronts him on a lot of issues that are just below the surface in the show's original run. And oh how I missed Tobias' wonderfully inappropriate puns. 8.5/10

Ep.6 Double Crossers - People really seem to dislike this episode, but I thought it was about on par with George Sr.'s first one. This one also pushes its feature character into the deep end and got more compelling as a result of having an arc. It also feature a lot of main characters so I like it enough. The focus was all over the place though, with a weirdly long stop with Michael and Gob. Best of all, I was beginning to get some good Cloud Atlas moments, when the same events in the past got different perspectives, and my mind went connecting the dots. 6.7/10

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:48 pm
Director

So I just finished it in one chunk, gonna do a quick, shorter review..

Ep.7 Colony Collapse - Man, up there with the best of the old run ever. So many classic additions to AD lore; musical cues, Gob-ism, HER?, shame cycle, T.W., etc. And it helps that this is one of the most contained story so far. Overall, despite being darker story of Gob (like everyone else this season) it still contains his good spirit and absolute hilarious jokes. 9.5/10

Ep.8 Red Hairing - Now the furthur dark turns in Lindsay's story is making me a bit queasy. Even by this season standard this is dark stuff. Still some great humours sprinkled throughout as always, and it ended quite OK for her all in all, but the nasty stuff countered that somewhat. 7/10

Ep.9 Smashed - Equally as good as his first outing (although the ending is as depressing as some turns his wife's second ep), I love Lucille's appearance in this one and all the stuff with the musical. 8.5/10

Ep.10 Queen B. - Except Gobb, I don't understand why many of the show's best main characters get just one-off episode. The story here might not be as good as others this season, but Jessical Walter's performance is still note-perfect and elevates everything. Really just many delightful little bits including many callbacks. And plus it has a nice character arc with some heart too. 8.5/10

Ep.11 A New Attitude - Not as all-out funny as his first outing, this ep here is still much impressive that it manages to have a touching character arc.. for Gob (never expect to say that). Also, Ann Veal is a genius. 9/10

Ep.12 Señoritis - Maeby... she's just the best. 9.5/10

Ep.13 It Gets Better - As with the old seasons, George Michael is still somewhat the heart of the show, so even when his episode isn't outright funny like some of the more expressive characters (but those long seconds lost in his thoughts are certainly one of the new season's top 10 materials), seeing the show's heart being challenged and maybe corrupted provide some great stakes for the season, and Michael Cera doesn't miss a beat too. 8.5/10

Ep.14 Off the Hook - My favorite of the season. Tony Hale's schedule conflict that forces him to be separated from everyone else the most also helps him to have quite a far-reaching character journey filled with great physical humour and biting political zingers. Some past episodes may have me laughing out loud, but this is the one that has me gasping for air: the hand, the shirt, Lucille meeting the hand, and so on. 10/10 And really? Just one episode of his? Come on!

Ep.15 Blockheads - This loses major point for being a cliffhanger, and not in a good way (too many stories didn't get paid off). Now it's essential that there has to be a season 5 or a movie. That said, it's still a very good episode with a full character journey that comes full circle with the first episode of this season. And that final shot before the credit... abrupt, shocking, gut-punching (heh), inevitable, and just perfect. Gold acting stars for both Jason Bateman and Michael Cera. 8/10

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 am
Director

All in all, I feel this season is not as good as the first three, because of some bloats and story choices that also left too many things up in the air, but the format is so incredibly innovative and the story intricate that it is not a slight to AD's legacy at all. And they nail all the characters, advancing them to daring, albeit very dark, places. No one escapes being dragged through the mud and be exposed for who they really are, especially Michael and his son. I'm both sad and excited by the trajectory of what once used to be the show's most unshakeable relationship, and I hope next seaon explores this furthur.

As with AD's tradition, the first thing to do after finishing a first watch is to do a re-watch again to get all the references, callbacks, and call forwards. I found a fan edit's of this season in a chronological order, so I will check that out of curiousity (and also to clear up a lot of plot points; man this season is dense and confusing timeline-wise).

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:38 am
Director

peng wrote:
All in all, I feel this season is not as good as the first three, because of some bloats and story choices that also left too many things up in the air, but the format is so incredibly innovative and the story intricate that it is not a slight to AD's legacy at all.

After re-watching the season, I agree. As always, though, many people are all too eager to leap to conclusions. But I picked up on a lot more the second time around (and I STILL don't think I got everything :? ), and found it quite ingenious how Mitchell Hurwitz laid out the entire season. My biggest issue with the season was DeBrie. Something about her character (be it in the way she was written or the way she was performed) just seemed off, and that she didn't fit all that comfortably into the AD universe, IMO. She has unseated Rita as my least favorite recurring character. P-Hound was also rather bland for an AD recurring character. And I still could've done without Kristen Wiig (whom I've never found funny) and Seth Rogen (whom I can take or leave -- usually leave) playing the younger versions of Lucille and George, Sr.; I'd have preferred it if Jessica Walter and Jeffrey Tambor still did that as they did in the first 3 seasons. Biggest disappointment from this season, though: NO CHICKEN DANCE. FROM ANYONE. :|

I hope the season eventually made available to purchase on DVD so I can add them to the first 3 in my collection.

Also, don't worry -- the AD movie still appears in the works, so all loose ends will presumably be tied up once it's finished.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:50 am