Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:26 pm

How BIG Of A James Fan Are You? 
Post How BIG Of A James Fan Are You?
This thread isn't for people who casually peruse ReelViews looking for James' opinion on 'Transformers'. This is for the hard, James = cocaine addicts on the RV forums.

My question is simple, direct, and uncompromising:

How big of a James fan are you? I mean free time, children, wives, jobs, husbands, money, clothing, shoes, and all of that other stuff aside, how committed are you to the RweelViews experience?

As for me, I'd say.... oh, hell.

I want to hear a few answers before I shame all of you :ugeek:

Sun May 17, 2009 3:54 pm
Post Re: How BIG Of A James Fan Are You?
I've read every review (yes, every one), all of the commentary stuff from the old site, the top 100, etc etc. I'm pretty confident in any trivia related to James's feelings towards a certain movie or actor or director.

So if breadth of reading is the barometer, I don't think anyone can have me beat. Tied, maybe, but not beat. So try to shame away.

Sun May 17, 2009 4:51 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
How big of a James fan are you? I mean free time, children, wives, jobs, husbands, money, clothing, shoes, and all of that other stuff aside, how committed are you to the RweelViews experience?

Strange question, isn't it? It's one step past the line of geek.

I'm a fan of the reviews, particularly those from the late 1990s into the early 2000s when a good word for movies like Requiem for a Dream and Minority Report got me into the theatres when I had absolutely no intention to see either. A good review (3.5 to 4 stars) usually is enough to get me to watch whatever it may be but I think it ends there. I don't read all of the commentaries and I skip over reviews for things like X-Men and 17 Again when I don't care how good, bad, or mediocre a movie is if I have zero interest in ever seeing it.

Aside from that, I've got several tattooes of James and an intricately designed set of piercings that, if light is bounced off them correctly, reveal a complex stereogram of Mr. Berardinelli pruning a tree. My bedroom is littered with posters of James' visage and I have a shrine set up in every room. I wear, and frequently hand out, bracelets that read "WWJBD?" and only do things I believe James would approve of. I only shower once a week on what I've dubbed "Berardsday", a full 24-hour devotional that includes a ceremonial reading of every review and profane-laden cornerside rants delivered at top volume into the faces of everyone that passes by. I consider his review of The Hottie and the Nottie quite possibly the best example of literature the last 100 years of letters has to offer. For Halloween I go as myself as, every other day of the year, I wear my JB costume everywhere I go. When people ask me who I'm trying to imitate I simply say "God". I've written "Mrs. James Berardinelli" on all of my book jackets and on the book jackets of anyone that passes within 4 inches of me.

So, really, I'm not that big of a fan. A faithful reader but nothing more, really.

Sun May 17, 2009 7:47 pm
I've read each of his ReelThoughts, most of his reviews, the top 100 and I read all three novels!

Sun May 17, 2009 7:53 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Strange question, isn't it? It's one step past the line of geek.

I'm a fan of the reviews, particularly those from the late 1990s into the early 2000s when a good word for movies like Requiem for a Dream and Minority Report got me into the theatres when I had absolutely no intention to see either. A good review (3.5 to 4 stars) usually is enough to get me to watch whatever it may be but I think it ends there. I don't read all of the commentaries and I skip over reviews for things like X-Men and 17 Again when I don't care how good, bad, or mediocre a movie is if I have zero interest in ever seeing it.

Aside from that, I've got several tattooes of James and an intricately designed set of piercings that, if light is bounced off them correctly, reveal a complex stereogram of Mr. Berardinelli pruning a tree. My bedroom is littered with posters of James' visage and I have a shrine set up in every room. I wear, and frequently hand out, bracelets that read "WWJBD?" and only do things I believe James would approve of. I only shower once a week on what I've dubbed "Berardsday", a full 24-hour devotional that includes a ceremonial reading of every review and profane-laden cornerside rants delivered at top volume into the faces of everyone that passes by. I consider his review of The Hottie and the Nottie quite possibly the best example of literature the last 100 years of letters has to offer. For Halloween I go as myself as, every other day of the year, I wear my JB costume everywhere I go. When people ask me who I'm trying to imitate I simply say "God". I've written "Mrs. James Berardinelli" on all of my book jackets and on the book jackets of anyone that passes within 4 inches of me.

So, really, I'm not that big of a fan. A faithful reader but nothing more, really.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun May 17, 2009 8:26 pm
There are some movies that I'd have probably never have seen were it not for James including the aforementioned Minority Report. I also ended seeing (and recently buying) the underrated Hitchcock homage/parody Dead Again because of him. I also love going through his archives to read up on older movies, especially from the early 90's and stuff.

Sun May 17, 2009 8:29 pm
If I'm considering seeing a movie at the theatre, I always read James B's review before I commit. He is the only critic I read. If I'm considering a DVD I go through Video Views for suggestions. I've recommended James B's site to many of my family members, friends and acquaintances. I dig his brain. It puts the lotion in the basket. It does this whenever it's told.

Sun May 17, 2009 8:36 pm
Remember when James hurt his hands while gardening? I had to go on methadone to deal with my withdrawal symptoms. Beat that! (Never mind, the Wasting Time chap already did.)

Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 am
I am a huge James B fan and I even wrote to him a year back and was thrilled to recieve a reply from him.I took the printout and framed it,It inspires me because I am taking a huge risk of leaving everything here and try to make it as a scriptwriter in NYC...tough road ahead but maybe one day I will get to meet him and he will review my work.

Also I always assumed that James's most hated Genre is HORROR because I have not seen him give a 3.5 o higher rating to horror(I dont consider Jaws horror mind you) so I wrote to him again and was completely surprised to hear that he hates(least likes) animated movies and not horror.

Mon May 18, 2009 2:37 am
Before the forum started, I found myself stopping by Reelviews only when a movie was being released that I had an interest in seeing as to get James's opinion. Now that the forums are up, I try to stop by daily, just because I really like the forum format. Am I a huge fan of James? Nope, I couldn't tell you anything about the guy other than he reviews movies, but I do like the site and will continue to stop by.

Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 am
When I was an undergrad putting myself through school -- not that long ago really -- I worked for an evil and vile corporation called Borders Books and Music. When working customer service, I used to recommend his book to anyone interested in movies or criticism. I think a few people even took my advice.

Mon May 18, 2009 7:47 am
6'1

Mon May 18, 2009 10:58 am
stiefmo wrote:
Before the forum started, I found myself stopping by Reelviews only when a movie was being released that I had an interest in seeing as to get James's opinion. Now that the forums are up, I try to stop by daily, just because I really like the forum format. Am I a huge fan of James? Nope, I couldn't tell you anything about the guy other than he reviews movies, but I do like the site and will continue to stop by.

what he said. although i read reelthoughts quite frequently too.

Mon May 18, 2009 1:16 pm
I think Sheryl might have dibs on being his biggest fan.

I was quite flattered however when he replied to an email of mine.

I was writing a paper at the time on the ethical responsibilities of the film industry. I had used Irreversible as my case study and had asked James of his opinion of violence within the media.

He gave a fairly detailed response which was helpful in regards to my research and I ended up with a distinction.

So yeah cheers James :P

Mon May 18, 2009 5:11 pm
Well, I got into his site in, what, 2006, and since then, I feel like I could get a 100 or close on any quiz regarding James' movie/actor preference. I could probably guess his reaction to certain things if pressed (although Arrested Development would be a welcome challenge...). I love reading anything he writes, and despite being a little busy lately, I wouldn't mind taking up an even bigger role on this forum if he asked me to. After all, all of he benefit he has accorded me through recommendations and informed criticism has been, what - free? Well, I have clicked a bunch...

I have, perhaps uniquely, created, recorded and sent him a song, titled 'He Is A Critic', which I still have somewhere on my computer. Scary enough, it's actually pretty good.... I don't have a definitive word from him, though (I could send it to anyone, if they so desired). I might one day return to the land of James for a song (you know, when death, despair, and hopelessness aren't running through my head), but admittedly, I spent most of my James ideas on that song. So, I'd say I'm qualified for a 'I think James is really cool' sticker. We have also corresponded a bit via e-mail, including his opinion on the exploitative presentation of a deceased child in the Sean Penn 2001 film 'The Pledge', which led to more of his kind words on Roland Joffe's 'Captivity', and I currently get at least one PM a week from him regarding the Competitions thread (actually, that Ed and aameen stuff got me an extra PM - so thanks, you two lovebirds you).

Yeah, I'd say Sheryl wins, though. Close second place being PatRick, who only wants to be James' wife :)

Mon May 18, 2009 6:03 pm
I would say that i'm a bigger than average fan. I have been reading his reviews for a number of years and his site has been my go to place for any movie I want to see. Like others mentioned, I have even been convinced to give some films a shot I wouldn't otherwise based on a favorable review. I find his reviews well written and not full of fluff which is what kept me here once I came across the site. I own his book Reelviews and read his ReelThoughts regularly. I had never posted to any type of forum before this one but find myself rather hooked on this one and I'm glad I jumped in. It's not littered with lame trash talking or snobery and really has been a great place to discuss many types of films with some interesting people.

Mon May 18, 2009 6:49 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Well, I got into his site in, what, 2006, and since then, I feel like I could get a 100 or close on any quiz regarding James' movie/actor preference. I could probably guess his reaction to certain things if pressed (although Arrested Development would be a welcome challenge...). I love reading anything he writes, and despite being a little busy lately, I wouldn't mind taking up an even bigger role on this forum if he asked me to. After all, all of he benefit he has accorded me through recommendations and informed criticism has been, what - free? Well, I have clicked a bunch...

I have, perhaps uniquely, created, recorded and sent him a song, titled 'He Is A Critic', which I still have somewhere on my computer. Scary enough, it's actually pretty good.... I don't have a definitive word from him, though (I could send it to anyone, if they so desired). I might one day return to the land of James for a song (you know, when death, despair, and hopelessness aren't running through my head), but admittedly, I spent most of my James ideas on that song. So, I'd say I'm qualified for a 'I think James is really cool' sticker. We have also corresponded a bit via e-mail, including his opinion on the exploitative presentation of a deceased child in the Sean Penn 2001 film 'The Pledge', which led to more of his kind words on Roland Joffe's 'Captivity', and I currently get at least one PM a week from him regarding the Competitions thread (actually, that Ed and aameen stuff got me an extra PM - so thanks, you two lovebirds you).

Yeah, I'd say Sheryl wins, though. Close second place being PatRick, who only wants to be James' wife :)

But I haven't written any songs about James....yet 8-)

Mon May 18, 2009 7:17 pm
I think this title definitely goes to me. Still looking for a runner-up.

I need to hear Evenflow's song. :) I'll ask James about it later after he returns from a screening.

Mon May 18, 2009 7:37 pm
The link to the song is here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phil-Spires/26127476930

It was recorded on a digital camera three months ago, so you might need to read these in conjuction with listening.

He is a critic
A learned man
Watching those films
He's got a greater plan...

He is a cynic
He's in it to win it
Lots of vowels in his name
Very proficient
Fair and specific
To all the films that he rates, so..

Click on the links__

Onto Toronto
Bringing his poncho__
Got lots of films to see
(C r e d i b i l i t y)

He hates all the fakers
The Bolls and the Grangers
Rather watch 'Moolade'
Gives to the takers
No money-maker
You can brighten his day...

Click on the links___ (X4)

<Bridge>

It's 2017
He's homeless in Texas
He is crazy now....
You should have helped him out!

Click on the links___(X3)

Mon May 18, 2009 8:51 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

2006? Bah! I'm pretty sure the gardening accident predates that. Seriously though people, why does no-one remember the gardening accident? It really happened...he didn't put on his gloves that day! Was no-one else traumatized?

Mon May 18, 2009 9:48 pm