Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:18 pm

Anyone read James' 'Price' Novels? 
Post Anyone read James' 'Price' Novels?
I'm wondering if anyone has read any of James' trilogy of novels (The Price of the Crown, The Price of Magic and The Price of Terror)? If so, what did you think? Here's your chance to critique the critic!

I was interested in reading them, but ultimately decided not to, only because I hate reading books off a computer screen.

Also, a question for Mr. Berardinelli: Do you have any plans to re-upload your novels to the existing Reelviews?

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:40 am
Post Re: Anyone read James' 'Price' Novels?
holy crap, he's written novels?!
surprising. will check em out on amazon.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:42 am
aameen wrote:
holy crap, he's written novels?!
surprising. will check em out on amazon.

They don't exist there...they only exist in Reelviews.

But they were decent reads, the first was the best and it had the most bad-ass ending of the three. I guess the only thing I didn't really like in the series was how the first two parts of the first book were structured. It should be Ch 1, Ch 7, Ch2, Ch 8 and so on until Ch 6, Ch 12. The Ch 1 - 6 and Ch 7 - 12 order were jarring and robbed those parts of the parallel lives of Sor and that peasant.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:19 am
Site Admin

They are still available, although a little "hidden."

Links here:

THE PRICE OF THE CROWN
THE PRICE OF MAGIC
THE PRICE OF TERROR

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Patrick wrote:
But they were decent reads, the first was the best and it had the most bad-ass ending of the three. I guess the only thing I didn't really like in the series was how the first two parts of the first book were structured. It should be Ch 1, Ch 7, Ch2, Ch 8 and so on until Ch 6, Ch 12. The Ch 1 - 6 and Ch 7 - 12 order were jarring and robbed those parts of the parallel lives of Sor and that peasant.

The parallelism didn't work as well as I hoped. I probably should have switched back and forth every chapter or so for the first 12 chapters, rather than handling them in chunks of 1-6 and 7-12. The end result is that you get to the end of Chapter 6 then have to wait 6 chapters to get back to Sor, which shortchanges Wil. (Ultimately, as the books develop, Wil becomes at least as important, if not more important, than Sor, so skimming through Chapter 7-12 isn't the best way to go).

For a pure plotting standpoint, I think the first book is the strongest. However, from a writing perspective, I think the first section of the third book is the best.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Patrick wrote:

The parallelism didn't work as well as I hoped. I probably should have switched back and forth every chapter or so for the first 12 chapters, rather than handling them in chunks of 1-6 and 7-12. The end result is that you get to the end of Chapter 6 then have to wait 6 chapters to get back to Sor, which shortchanges Wil. (Ultimately, as the books develop, Wil becomes at least as important, if not more important, than Sor, so skimming through Chapter 7-12 isn't the best way to go).

For a pure plotting standpoint, I think the first book is the strongest. However, from a writing perspective, I think the first section of the third book is the best.

You ever think of just re-ordering the chapters to make the parallelism stronger or do you think that your final work is final no matter what?

Fri May 01, 2009 2:17 pm
Site Admin

Patrick wrote:
You ever think of just re-ordering the chapters to make the parallelism stronger or do you think that your final work is final no matter what?

I believe that would necessitate some re-writing to smooth out the transitions. If I was to re-work the book, that's something I would consider, but otherwise the return on the investment (so to speak) isn't there.

Fri May 01, 2009 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
ed_metal_head wrote:
I was interested in reading them, but ultimately decided not to, only because I hate reading books off a computer screen.

Same here. I would definitely buy it if I saw it in the bookstore though.

Guess I'll give it a try now anyway.

Sat May 02, 2009 10:33 am
Sadly I don't read books that much, but I do watch alot of movies
Rob

Mon May 04, 2009 4:04 am
cornflakes wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Yeah, I didn't read them for the same reason. James, you don't know how AWESOME it would be if you'd made some hard copies available. I'm pretty sure quite a big amount of your readers would buy them. Right....?

Mon May 04, 2009 1:20 pm
Sebastian wrote:
cornflakes wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Yeah, I didn't read them for the same reason. James, you don't know how AWESOME it would be if you'd made some hard copies available. I'm pretty sure quite a big amount of your readers would buy them. Right....?

I agree...but I do wonder if that'll be enough people to make a profit. Still, if you build it...

Mon May 04, 2009 3:15 pm
You can always upload them to lulu.com or something so people could buy books there.

Thu May 21, 2009 8:19 pm