Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:49 am

Chuck Palahniuk 
Post Chuck Palahniuk
I recently finished reading Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk, and I enjoyed it.

Are any of his other works in particular worth reading?

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:20 pm
Post Re: Chuck Palahniuk
Survivor is even better than Fight Club, Choke and Diary aren't....especially Diary, oh how I was so disappointed by Diary.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:57 pm
Patrick wrote:
Survivor is even better than Fight Club, Choke and Diary aren't....especially Diary, oh how I was so disappointed by Diary.

Yet again, we disagree on literature, my friend. I think Diary is his best book, although Lullaby is a close second. I really liked Survivor a lot.

In response to the original post, Fight Club is actually the only Palahniuk book I haven't read. I've enjoyed all of his other ones, although Snuff was merely OK.

Random bit of trivia: Chuck and I went to the same high school (Columbia High School in Burbank, WA).

Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:20 pm
Survivor was good.

His same old shtick gets tiresome after a while - he uses lots of gimmicks.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:15 pm
It's order-dependent. The first few books are surprising and the the next few aren't because, as Trevor indicated, the guy has no variation on his style or themes. The last story in Haunted is his best work, Lullaby a close second.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:34 pm
My favourite quite from fight club

"i want to have your abortion"

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:09 am
Humga wrote:

Apparently they thought they couldn't get away with that in the movie (according to the commentary), changing it to,
"I haven't been fucked like that since grade school."
One of the few places where the book is better.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:33 pm
Trevor wrote:
Humga wrote:

Apparently they thought they couldn't get away with that in the movie (according to the commentary), changing it to,

Close but they did film the abortion line and the execs were up-in-arms over that. So they filmed the grade school line which made the execs even more angry and they demanded the abortion line back in....but it was too late.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:11 pm
Patrick wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Humga wrote:

Close
but they did film the abortion line and the execs were up-in-arms over
that. So they filmed the grade school line which made the execs even
more angry and they demanded the abortion line back in....but it was
too late.

Great trivia! I love the '...since grade school' line and Brad Pitt's response to it. But "I want to have your abortion" is exactly what Palahniuk would write. Which to choose?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:25 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Trevor wrote:

Close
but they did film the abortion line and the execs were up-in-arms over
that. So they filmed the grade school line which made the execs even
more angry and they demanded the abortion line back in....but it was
too late.

Great trivia! I love the '...since grade school' line and Brad Pitt's response to it. But "I want to have your abortion" is exactly what Palahniuk would write. Which to choose?

i want to have your abortion is sooo much worse and wrong in so many more ways.
I havn't been fucked since grade school is actually plausible for a significant portion of he population.

I want to have your abortion...that is like...indescribable.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:05 am
"I want to have your abortion," is horrifying. They should have left it in the movie -- a friend reminds me that in one of John Waters' films a character shouts "I want to get pregnant just so I can get an abortion!" Maybe not as raw as Marla's abortion desire but, with all the punching, head wounds, and general shock of Fight Club they could have left in a line of dialogue no matter the comment.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 pm
Yeah,
"I haven't been fucked like that since grade school," is just slutty, in a fairly predictable and non-unique way.
"I want to have your abortion," offers more of an insight into Marla's disturbed character.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:22 pm
So I broke my promise to never pick up another Palahniuk book and read his latest, Pygmy.
Funny! And aggravating! It's about a terrorist plot but the gimmick this time around isn't so much the story as the way Palahniuk tells it: first person, from the point of view from a man who doesn't speak working English and writes it far worse than he speaks it. If it were a short story I'd be calling it semi-genius but, running over 200 pages, the trick wears thin very fast. Annoying storytelling aside, the book is the funniest thing he's written -- part science fiction, part travelogue, and part critique of terrorism, the word terrorism, the endless definitions of the word, and what the people who have gotten the label think of those that have applied it. He's an odd author and, because he's always setting some strange obstacle in his way to make the story more challenging for him to get across, it's easy to see why he's got such a huge following. He's a true illusionist.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:14 am