Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:46 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
A song you like by a band you hate 
Author Message
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Yeah, I checked the US suicide rates and there was no increase during the grunge period. In fact, the suicide rate fell from 13.2 (per 100,000 people) in 1980 down to 11.8 in 1995. That's a kind of silly statement to make anyway. Have you played violent videogames? Did they make you violent? You watch a lot of horror movies, right? Do you go around killing people?

I'd argue that the "depressing" music was actually healthy for some people. It put into words they way they were already feeling and gave them a release. Stuff like that can be therapeutic. Look, I'm not going to argue that Grunge caused the suicide rate to fall. However, it's a much sillier argument to say grunge cause suicide rates to increase.[/quote]
You do realize I was joking about that suicide thing right? :lol:


Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:44 am
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
You did get him to learn something though.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:22 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1521
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
ed_metal_head wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
My Way by Limp Bizkit. Limp Bizkit were the 2000s version of a bad hair metal band. But I do like this song.


I actually think that there's some decent stuff on Significant Other. I bought that album and I don't regret it. Yet. In any case, I thought everything they did after that album was a return to their previous form. Awful form, that is.


Well the first Limp Bizkit album (Three Dollar Bill Y'all) sounded good at the time. But I don't really listen to it that much anymore and of the people I know who loved it then, none of them really do either. I did buy Significant Other back in 2000 and I did find there was enough good stuff on it to make it a keeper. But I hardly ever listen to it anymore either. It's one album I can't bring myself to get rid of even though I may put it in my CD changer about once a year at the most. What really put me off of them was Chocolate Starfish, that third album. That one was so godawful (aside from the aforementioned "My Way") that it left me with a serious aversion to them that never went away. That, combined with the rise of the cult of Fred Durst, one of the biggest assholes in music not named Scott Stapp, meant that was it for me as far as Limp Bizkit was concerned. That being said I would rather listen to them than Creed.

Quote:
You do realize I was joking about that suicide thing right?


Yeah. By the same token one could point to the fact that the Spice Girls were at the peak of their popularity when school shootings started making the news and blame them for the increase. The constant annoying "You know what we want what we really really want" pushed those kids over teh edge.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:14 am
Profile
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Jeff Wilder wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
My Way by Limp Bizkit. Limp Bizkit were the 2000s version of a bad hair metal band. But I do like this song.


I actually think that there's some decent stuff on Significant Other. I bought that album and I don't regret it. Yet. In any case, I thought everything they did after that album was a return to their previous form. Awful form, that is.


Well the first Limp Bizkit album (Three Dollar Bill Y'all) sounded good at the time. But I don't really listen to it that much anymore and of the people I know who loved it then, none of them really do either. I did buy Significant Other back in 2000 and I did find there was enough good stuff on it to make it a keeper. But I hardly ever listen to it anymore either. It's one album I can't bring myself to get rid of even though I may put it in my CD changer about once a year at the most. What really put me off of them was Chocolate Starfish, that third album. That one was so godawful (aside from the aforementioned "My Way") that it left me with a serious aversion to them that never went away. That, combined with the rise of the cult of Fred Durst, one of the biggest assholes in music not named Scott Stapp, meant that was it for me as far as Limp Bizkit was concerned. That being said I would rather listen to them than Creed.

Well put, Creed are just terrible, I was SOOO happy when they broke up, but then they just HAD to get back together and unleash more godawful music on the world. Aso for Limp Bizkit, I haven't heard much of they're early stuff aside form the hits, but I am one of the few people who actually likely the widely hated "Results May Vary" album(did you ever hear that one Jeff?) There's actually a new album coming out in June this year-Golden Cobra, i've heard some of the songs on Youtube and it sounds Great! Can't wait ofr it to come out!


Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:49 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Speaking of Creed, here's my favorite song by them; let me know what you think! :D :D


Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:04 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Grunge is hollow, but hair metal isn't? Whatever in the great name of fuck Vexer is smoking, I would like some.

Hair metal shouldn't even count as music. I mean, maybe it would, if any of the artists knew more than 3 chords...

Shouldn't the music be about the music, and not cross dressing and having long hair?

Thank GOD for grunge, because grunge made it about the music again. Nirvana and Pearl Jam et al didn't need to wear tight pants to sell their records. If it weren't for these guys, who knows how much longer we would've had to dealt with abominations like Poison and Motle Crue? All the hair metal guys cared about was getting their dicks sucked, having a drink, and a vein to shoot up into. Hair metal is the definition of "pointless shit."

Seriously, they only know like 3 chords, why the fuck are they famous? -_-


Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:30 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Seriously, they only know like 3 chords, why the fuck are they famous? -_-


I could say the same about punk and how the Ramones were utter crap liked only by mouth-breathing, deaf morons. Unfortunately, they were the first punk band that kinda broke so they have history which said morons cite as a reason why The Ramones shouldn't be dismissed out of hand even though they should.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:26 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Patrick wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Seriously, they only know like 3 chords, why the fuck are they famous? -_-


I could say the same about punk and how the Ramones were utter crap liked only by mouth-breathing, deaf morons. Unfortunately, they were the first punk band that kinda broke so they have history which said morons cite as a reason why The Ramones shouldn't be dismissed out of hand even though they should.


Yeah, but punk is different. Punk is a genre defined by it's bareness and simplicity and rawness. I mean, Kurt Cobain wasn't a technical guitarist, but he still made waves with his music (it's a shame he never got to mature as a musician). The same cannot be said of any hair metal band.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Grunge is hollow, but hair metal isn't? Whatever in the great name of fuck Vexer is smoking, I would like some.

Hair metal shouldn't even count as music. I mean, maybe it would, if any of the artists knew more than 3 chords...

Shouldn't the music be about the music, and not cross dressing and having long hair?

Thank GOD for grunge, because grunge made it about the music again. Nirvana and Pearl Jam et al didn't need to wear tight pants to sell their records. If it weren't for these guys, who knows how much longer we would've had to dealt with abominations like Poison and Motle Crue? All the hair metal guys cared about was getting their dicks sucked, having a drink, and a vein to shoot up into. Hair metal is the definition of "pointless shit."

Seriously, they only know like 3 chords, why the fuck are they famous? -_-
Well hair meta is at least FUN to listen to, and they certainly know how ot play they're instruments better then most of today's bands do(lookin at you Creed!) Anyways that's just my opinion, hair metal always puts me in a good mood but grunge does absolutely NOTHING for me and if you ask me that's the genre that shouldn't even count as music. IMO people get WAAAYYYYYY too hung up on the "looks" of HM bands, and at least they don't dress like they just woke up unlike grunge bands(whoever ever thought flannel shirts were a GOOD idea should be shot) All grunge bands ever cared was making everyone else feel as miserable as they were, now that's the true definition of pointlessness.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:22 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Seriously, they only know like 3 chords, why the fuck are they famous? -_-


I could say the same about punk and how the Ramones were utter crap liked only by mouth-breathing, deaf morons. Unfortunately, they were the first punk band that kinda broke so they have history which said morons cite as a reason why The Ramones shouldn't be dismissed out of hand even though they should.


Yeah, but punk is different. Punk is a genre defined by it's bareness and simplicity and rawness. I mean, Kurt Cobain wasn't a technical guitarist, but he still made waves with his music (it's a shame he never got to mature as a musician). The same cannot be said of any hair metal band.

OK so hiar metal didn't make too many "waves" so what? It's still enjoyable, grunge just fucking bores me to death! :roll:


Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:33 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Vexer wrote:
Well hair meta is at least FUN to listen to, and they certainly know how ot play they're instruments better then most of today's bands do(lookin at you Creed!).


I don't like Creed, but they're more proficient at their instruments than any hair band that ever existed. I'm convinced I could teach a guy with no arms how to play 99% of hair metal guitar licks in 15 minutes. Hair metal is insignificant, and grunge was essential. And your argument just doesn't make sense; shitty hair metal music is INFINITELY more depressing than grunge just based on the quality of the musicianship.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:38 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Well hair meta is at least FUN to listen to, and they certainly know how ot play they're instruments better then most of today's bands do(lookin at you Creed!).


I don't like Creed, but they're more proficient at their instruments than any hair band that ever existed. I'm convinced I could teach a guy with no arms how to play 99% of hair metal guitar licks in 15 minutes. Hair metal is insignificant, and grunge was essential. And your argument just doesn't make sense; shitty hair metal music is INFINITELY more depressing than grunge just based on the quality of the musicianship.

Whatever man, I like Hair metal because it's all about having a good time, I don't like grunge because I don't listen to msuic to get depressed, if I want to get depressed i'll just read the headlines about the disaster in Japan, that's plenty depressing enough for me, thank you very much. At the very least, you have to admit that hair metal is better then crappy pop-punk bands like Fallout Boy, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, etc.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:47 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Vexer wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Well hair meta is at least FUN to listen to, and they certainly know how ot play they're instruments better then most of today's bands do(lookin at you Creed!).


At the very least, you have to admit that hair metal is better then crappy pop-punk bands like Fallout Boy, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, etc.


Well, I guess there's an appeal for some people. "Fun" isn't the word I'd use for hair metal, and "depressing" isn't the word I'd use for grunge, but hey, to each his own! As for the other statement, I'd say (in my honest opinion) that crappy pop-punk bands and hair metal bands are about on par with their level of suckishness.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:51 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Fair enough, now on to something else, how do you like thrash/speed metal?(is there a difference between the two? or are they just different terms? I seriously don't know!) Annihilator is one of my favorite bands


Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:02 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Vexer wrote:
Fair enough, now on to something else, how do you like thrash/speed metal?(is there a difference between the two? or are they just different terms? I seriously don't know!) Annihilator is one of my favorite bands


Thrash/speed metal are so closely related that there's barely a distinction between the two. I like thrash/speed metal, but in moderation. It can get repetitive and somewhat corny (see: Slayer), but it's great mood music if your pissed off or wanna kick ass at the gym!


Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:16 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Grunge is hollow, but hair metal isn't? Whatever in the great name of fuck Vexer is smoking, I would like some.

Hair metal shouldn't even count as music. I mean, maybe it would, if any of the artists knew more than 3 chords...

Shouldn't the music be about the music, and not cross dressing and having long hair?

Thank GOD for grunge, because grunge made it about the music again. Nirvana and Pearl Jam et al didn't need to wear tight pants to sell their records. If it weren't for these guys, who knows how much longer we would've had to dealt with abominations like Poison and Motle Crue? All the hair metal guys cared about was getting their dicks sucked, having a drink, and a vein to shoot up into. Hair metal is the definition of "pointless shit."

Seriously, they only know like 3 chords, why the fuck are they famous? -_-
Alice In Chains began as a failed hair band.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:18 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Ken wrote:
Alice In Chains began as a failed hair band.


All the more reason to be thanking Cobain, 'cus otherwise they would've stayed a failed hair band.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:20 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Ken wrote:
Alice In Chains began as a failed hair band.


All the more reason to be thanking Cobain, 'cus otherwise they would've stayed a failed hair band.


That statement could not be more wrong if your tried Timmy for it has to hinge on the fact that we ignore Alice in Chain's non-hair metal sounding Facelift BEING RELEASED MORE THAN A YEAR BEFORE NEVERMIND WAS!


And don't bring Bleach into this discussion. Bleach was a minor album that didn't do much until after Nirvana broke.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Fair enough, now on to something else, how do you like thrash/speed metal?(is there a difference between the two? or are they just different terms? I seriously don't know!) Annihilator is one of my favorite bands


Thrash/speed metal are so closely related that there's barely a distinction between the two. I like thrash/speed metal, but in moderation. It can get repetitive and somewhat corny (see: Slayer), but it's great mood music if your pissed off or wanna kick ass at the gym!

I never really got what the big deal was about Slayer, they're OK but they don't really blow me away or anything.


Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Timmy Shoes wrote:
All the more reason to be thanking Cobain, 'cus otherwise they would've stayed a failed hair band.


Thank Cobain for what? Alice In Chains and Nirvana are different bands. AIC's first EP came out in 1990, before Nirvana achieved any kind of widespread success.

I shouldn't have to point this out, but your argument highlights exactly why hair metal and grunge are meaningless terms in this context. There are many "hair band" musicians who far outstrip any of their contemporaries and successors as musicians. Warren Di Martini and George Lynch, to name a couple. "Grunge" was just as much of a fashion statement as anything else. Do you really think it was coincidence that a dozen bands started buying flannel shirts and ripped jeans at thrift stores and stopped washing their hair?


Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:34 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr