Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:50 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
A song you like by a band you hate 
Author Message
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Billy Idol's 'White Wedding, Pt. 1'


I don't know why, but I love this song. Especially the ending, where Idol makes a very corny plea for a world with order and virtue. It's all handled with honorable conviction and poise, and since he keeps his generally annoying mannerisms in check for most of the song and lets his persona shine through gradually, it ends up being very affecting. It's one of the 80's most compelling mainstream radio cuts.


Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:13 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
The Last Night- Skillet

They're an uber-religious band, but I love this song. XD It's less Jesus-y than their usual fare.


Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:50 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
I don’t mind early offspring, although I’m not in any rush to listen to them these days. I can’t stand “want you bad” though.


Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:22 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 pm
Posts: 162
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Americana is an excellent album apart from one or two songs.


Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:53 am
Profile
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
'Smash' is amazing, their only near-great record. 'Americana' is solid, but it also has alot of gunk. Nevertheless, I love 'End Of The Line'. It's a great companion-piece to 'Gone Away' in their catalog, and likewise one of the best songs about a lost friend ever recorded.


Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:10 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1140
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Ah The Offspring, possibly the most average band ever. I do like "Americana", and I think "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" is an excellent, catchy song, really them at their peak. Their last album (which came out in like 2008) seemed like a mess from what I remember though (with exception to "Hammerhead"), they seemed like 5 years to late on the Green Day "Let's hate on Bush" train. "Splinter" is a pretty bleh album, some very solid songs like "(Can't Get My) Head Around You", "Lightning Rod", "Hit That", "Race Against Myself", but then you also got crap like "The Worst Hangover Ever", "Spare Me the Details", "Neocon", and "When You're In Prison".

So yeah, I think they're very, very average.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 pm
Posts: 162
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
A guy that I used to be in a band with, his old band toured with The Offspring when they toured the UK a few years ago. He said that the guitarist (Noodles?) seemed to barely even know where he was most of the time. My friends' band also got on average, 30 bottles thrown at them at each gig. They dressed up as zombies. I have no idea who came up with the idea of them fitting in the with The Offspring.


Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:26 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1623
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
A while back in this thread there was a discussion of hair metal. Hair metal was the big thing when I first started listening to music. I didn't care for it too much (aside from Motley Crue who were never really metal in my opinion, more melodic hard rock). I got more into hip-hop. I tried hair metal a few times. But never got it. When I started listening to grunge and punk I realized why. So much hair metal was guys singing about their dicks and doing it with no substance at all. Later on I realized that all the hair metal bands were doing was ripping off the most superficial elements of Led Zeppelin and none of the substance (or blues elements), much the way nu-metal bands ripped off the angst of grunge and none of the elements that made it work.

Now on to the topic.

Memphis Soul Song by Uncle Kracker. Most of Kracker's output comes off like a weak imitation of Kid Rock (who's no great shakes either). But I like this song.

Bawitdaba by Kid Rock. A mosh pit number. Nothing great. But fun to crank up.

Chemicals Between Us by Bush. Bush was one of the bands that tried to copy Nirvana and Pearl Jam. But became to them what Whitesnake was to Led Zeppelin. But I do like this song quite a bit. I could see it being used in the opening credits of a movie.

My Way by Limp Bizkit. Limp Bizkit were the 2000s version of a bad hair metal band. But I do like this song.

Half of Mariah Carey's singles. I'm not one of those who loves Mariah. But I don't think she's that bad either. I like her way better than the antiseptic bubblegum for the over 40 crowd that Celine Dion cranks out. When listening to her 2 CD greatets hits, there are certain songs that I find myself programming out because i never want to hear them again. But there are also quite a few that I keep going back to.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:18 pm
Profile
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
I personally love hair metal because it's all about having fun, the big problem I have with most of today's music and grunge is that they all sing about how much life sucks and wanting to kill themselves(i'll bet grunge is what caused suicide rates to increase) Who the fuck wants to hear that? Real life is depressing enough without having an entire gnere of music to hamme rit in for ou, grunge is just pure garbage for the most part, I do like a few Soundgarden songs, but that's about it really.

This is one of my favorite reviews sites, this guy's tastes almost perfectly align with mine. http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/


Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:46 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1140
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Vexer wrote:
I personally love hair metal because it's all about having fun, the big problem I have with most of today's music and grunge is that they all sing about how much life sucks and wanting to kill themselves(i'll bet grunge is what caused suicide rates to increase) Who the fuck wants to hear that? Real life is depressing enough without having an entire gnere of music to hamme rit in for ou, grunge is just pure garbage for the most part, I do like a few Soundgarden songs, but that's about it really.

This is one of my favorite reviews sites, this guy's tastes almost perfectly align with mine. http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/


I think you're typecasting "grunge".

A lot of the music is depressing, sure, but in terms of "wanting to kill yourself"? "Alice In Chains" is certainly guilty of this, but I can't think of too many other artists/songs of that genre that go that far. I think the artists talk a lot about the horrors of drug use, but not to the point of "I want to die" or anything.

I'll give you it's depressing, but at least you can feel the passion in the songs, unlike the hollowness that sometimes engulfs "hair metal" (which I do like alright and all, but it's nothing outstanding - that's just me) and pop music especially nowadays.

"Soundgarden" is an excellent band, I'd suggest you check out some more of their stuff. The psychedelic nature of "Superunknown" specifically is infectious.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I personally love hair metal because it's all about having fun, the big problem I have with most of today's music and grunge is that they all sing about how much life sucks and wanting to kill themselves(i'll bet grunge is what caused suicide rates to increase) Who the fuck wants to hear that? Real life is depressing enough without having an entire gnere of music to hamme rit in for ou, grunge is just pure garbage for the most part, I do like a few Soundgarden songs, but that's about it really.

This is one of my favorite reviews sites, this guy's tastes almost perfectly align with mine. http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/


I think you're typecasting "grunge".

A lot of the music is depressing, sure, but in terms of "wanting to kill yourself"? "Alice In Chains" is certainly guilty of this, but I can't think of too many other artists/songs of that genre that go that far. I think the artists talk a lot about the horrors of drug use, but not to the point of "I want to die" or anything.

I'll give you it's depressing, but at least you can feel the passion in the songs, unlike the hollowness that sometimes engulfs "hair metal" (which I do like alright and all, but it's nothing outstanding - that's just me) and pop music especially nowadays.

"Soundgarden" is an excellent band, I'd suggest you check out some more of their stuff. The psychedelic nature of "Superunknown" specifically is infectious.

Personally I fell other way around, grunge never sounded like it had much "passion" to me, it mostly struck me as very hollow and depressing for the sake of being depressing, Hair Metal and some pop music sounds like it has plenty of passion to me.


Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Vexer wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I personally love hair metal because it's all about having fun, the big problem I have with most of today's music and grunge is that they all sing about how much life sucks and wanting to kill themselves(i'll bet grunge is what caused suicide rates to increase) Who the fuck wants to hear that? Real life is depressing enough without having an entire gnere of music to hamme rit in for ou, grunge is just pure garbage for the most part, I do like a few Soundgarden songs, but that's about it really.

This is one of my favorite reviews sites, this guy's tastes almost perfectly align with mine. http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/


I think you're typecasting "grunge".

A lot of the music is depressing, sure, but in terms of "wanting to kill yourself"? "Alice In Chains" is certainly guilty of this, but I can't think of too many other artists/songs of that genre that go that far. I think the artists talk a lot about the horrors of drug use, but not to the point of "I want to die" or anything.

I'll give you it's depressing, but at least you can feel the passion in the songs, unlike the hollowness that sometimes engulfs "hair metal" (which I do like alright and all, but it's nothing outstanding - that's just me) and pop music especially nowadays.

"Soundgarden" is an excellent band, I'd suggest you check out some more of their stuff. The psychedelic nature of "Superunknown" specifically is infectious.

Personally I fell other way around, grunge never sounded like it had much "passion" to me, it mostly struck me as very hollow and depressing for the sake of being depressing, Hair Metal and some pop music sounds like it has plenty of passion to me.

Funny, i thought grunge was about the hollowness and depressive nature of life.


Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:03 am
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
That's not the type of hollow I was refering to, by hollow I meant that grunge felt empty and meaningless.


Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 am
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Vexer wrote:
That's not the type of hollow I was refering to, by hollow I meant that grunge felt empty and meaningless.


Yeah, I thought that was the point I mean.


Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:22 am
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
I like Rap music. And thats as far as it goes.


Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 am
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
mailedbypostman wrote:
Vexer wrote:
That's not the type of hollow I was refering to, by hollow I meant that grunge felt empty and meaningless.


Yeah, I thought that was the point I mean.

I meant that grunge never really engages me in any way.


Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:00 am
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
I find that a lot of so-called sub-genres are pretty absurd and pointless. For example: Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and Nirvana are all supposed to be the same kind of music. If this is the purpose that the grunge label serves, then the grunge label serves no purpose.

Same goes for the hair metal label. Just for the sake of examples, we'll pick on Ratt, Mr. Big, and Extreme. I realize they're from the same general time period and may have committed similar fashion atrocities, but when you get down to the music, they're not much alike.


Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:48 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Ken wrote:
I find that a lot of so-called sub-genres are pretty absurd and pointless. For example: Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and Nirvana are all supposed to be the same kind of music. If this is the purpose that the grunge label serves, then the grunge label serves no purpose.

Same goes for the hair metal label. Just for the sake of examples, we'll pick on Ratt, Mr. Big, and Extreme. I realize they're from the same general time period and may have committed similar fashion atrocities, but when you get down to the music, they're not much alike.

People always like to make fun of 80s fashions, but I think look better thne alot of fashions today. I agree with you other wise though, Extreme is more of a blues-rock band, Ratt is heavier then most hair-metal bands, etc.


Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:42 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
And its kind of the opposite with rap. There are all sorts of sub genres in rock, when at the end of the day its rock. Yet all rap is just considered rap even though certain artists have such different styles of music. Kanye West's music is about as similar to Tupac's music as Green Day is to The Who.


Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 pm
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
Jeff Wilder wrote:
My Way by Limp Bizkit. Limp Bizkit were the 2000s version of a bad hair metal band. But I do like this song.


I actually think that there's some decent stuff on Significant Other. I bought that album and I don't regret it. Yet. In any case, I thought everything they did after that album was a return to their previous form. Awful form, that is.

Vexer wrote:
I personally love hair metal because it's all about having fun, the big problem I have with most of today's music and grunge is that they all sing about how much life sucks and wanting to kill themselves(i'll bet grunge is what caused suicide rates to increase) Who the fuck wants to hear that? Real life is depressing enough without having an entire gnere of music to hamme rit in for ou, grunge is just pure garbage for the most part, I do like a few Soundgarden songs, but that's about it really.


Yeah, I checked the US suicide rates and there was no increase during the grunge period. In fact, the suicide rate fell from 13.2 (per 100,000 people) in 1980 down to 11.8 in 1995. That's a kind of silly statement to make anyway. Have you played violent videogames? Did they make you violent? You watch a lot of horror movies, right? Do you go around killing people?

I'd argue that the "depressing" music was actually healthy for some people. It put into words they way they were already feeling and gave them a release. Stuff like that can be therapeutic. Look, I'm not going to argue that Grunge caused the suicide rate to fall. However, it's a much sillier argument to say grunge cause suicide rates to increase.


Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:38 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr