Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
A song you like by a band you hate 
Post A song you like by a band you hate
I'm sure we all have this moment where you heard this song that's awesome but then found out it's by a band you hate but you still the song's awesome.

Anyways, my example is that I hate the band Winger...loathe and detest them but I can't not listen to "Heading for a Heartbreak."

So what's yours?

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:25 am
Post Re: A song you like by a band you hate
good riddance - green day

useless band. rips off riffs. but the song was used in Seinfeld. special place in my heart.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:31 am
Disagreed on both accounts. I'd say that was Green Day's most overrated song, and they are a solid band (the album 'Warning' in particular is fantastic). Hell, I even parodied that song, 'Suckit, Green Day', with one of my bands.

Nickelback is worthless now, but they did have a few songs I enjoyed, namely 'How You Remind Me' and 'Too Bad'. I was going to say Three Doors Down, but I remembered that each album they've made has at least a sizable cluster of solid singles (and in the case of 'Loser', 'When I'm Gone', and 'Here Without You', minor classics).

OHHHH, and The Verve Pipe, with 'Freshmen'. I can't stand the rest of their material, but that song is haunting and it has aged reasonably well.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:47 am
Only Shallow by My Bloody Valentine.

I guess Shoegaze just isn't for me. I understand if you all want to kill me now.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:14 pm
My picks for now would be "Jukebox Hero" and "Urgent" by Foreigner and while I don't think the band is terrible I don't find them to be especially good either.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:05 pm
Change of Seasons by Dream Theater. Though i don't really hate them, per se.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:10 pm
Dance of the Manatee by Fair To Midland.

Speed of sound by Coldplay

Escape from Hellview by CKY

Almost all of Kanye West's songs....

Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:53 pm
Not so much a band but an artist, Pat Benatar. For some reason, I just don't like any of her songs in particular except for "Love is a Battlefield."

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:13 pm
"Politik" by Coldplay. A very nice melody and one of the only songs by them that isn't incredibly boring to me.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:40 pm
Elder Misanthropy by The Black Dahlia Murder. I think everything else they've done is really bland metal/hardcore but the guitar during the chorus is just amazing.

Also I love Where Is My Mind by the Pixies but really haven't gotten into anything else that they've done. I appreciate who they are and what they did for their scene but I just can't get into them.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:14 am
*thumbs down* How can you actually wake up in the morning and look in the mirror?

Chevelle made one fantastic album, with three classic singles, and then disappointed for the rest of their careers. I'm still depressed about this.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:45 am
Another one would be "Long Way Down" by the Goo-goo Dolls. I don't like most of their stuff and I can't change the dial fast enough when that wretched "Iris" song comes on but I love this song.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:54 pm
Director

While my hate isn't as strong for them as it used to be, "Holiday" and "When I Come Around" by Green Day are quality.

"How You Remind Me" by Nickelback by far, now I can't stand them. Speaking of them, "Into the Night" by Chad Kroeger, the lead singer of Nickelback, is a really catchy song, Carlos Santana does the guitar work.

"Viva La Vida" by Coldplay. Everything else that band does puts me to sleep, so incredibly boring.

"X' Gon Give it to Ya" by DMX. I personally can't stand most of the self-righteous bullcrap rap music puts out, and this song is just another example. But for some reason I love it, the chorus is pretty nice. That said, DMX can go suck a big one for his cruelty towards animals, go make friends with Mike Vick.

I would say a Kanye West song too, but I really can't think of any songs I like by him. I can't stand him as a person, so incredibly stuck up, whenever he tries to talk politics I just beat myself senseless so I don't have to listen to him.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Here's another one:

I'm extremely sick of Beyonce and can't stand her solo stuff, which is sad cause I really liked Destiny's Child. However, "If I Were a Boy" isn't too bad.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:56 pm
Isn't that *shudders from knowedge* Ciara?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:00 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Isn't that *shudders from knowedge* Ciara?

No, you're thinking of "Like a Boy" and some of Ciara's stuff is good.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 pm
(*cracks neck)

I really, really hate They Might Be Giants. But I really, really love two of their songs: "Mammal" and a brilliant mini-opus they did called "Fingertips". Not exactly a song, the latter, but an idea that was well-executed.

ed_metal_head hates My Bloody Valentine and with good reason: they're f*cking terrible. The shoegaze thing isn't all failure but MBV wrote an entire catalog of songs that go absolutely nowhere. Still, "Soft as Snow (but Warm Inside)" is a happy accident.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:55 pm
A cheat:

Weezer are now a terrible embarassment but, long ago, they released two great records: the eponymous debut and Pinkerton. They spill play together but they're a decade removed from convincing me they're in it for the music.

The new, loathsome Weezer have one good song: "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" The lyrics are frequently terrible and some of the ideas (Rivers Cuomo rapping) don't work but it's one of the most ambitious singles of the past few years.

Pictured: Weezer, in better days

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:21 am
I'll have to agree with you completely major. Those two albums (Blue and Pinkerton) had such a great sound and feel to them that the band has been unable to produce since. I think that if the label didn't say Weezer on it, no one would buy the garbage they are releasing now. I kinda feel the same way about U2, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:43 am
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head hates My Bloody Valentine and with good reason: they're f*cking terrible. The shoegaze thing isn't all failure but MBV wrote an entire catalog of songs that go absolutely nowhere. Still, "Soft as Snow (but Warm Inside)" is a happy accident.

Well, I disagree, although I will offer that they are definitely even at their most accessible difficult to penetrate, but unlike to amny other shoegazer outfits, there's substance underneath the noise. 'Loveless' is a musical masterpiece.

I love 'Pinkerton', of all of Weezer's works, because of Cuomo's amazing ability to make bizarre, almost misanthropic behaviour seem relatable, and that album presents it so uncompromisingly (especially in 'Across The Sea', one of the best songs of the 90's).

I hate most of Garbage's music, and most of their lyrics are idiotic, but I thought 'Stupid Girl' was saved by some tremendous production (the pre-chrous background 'noise' is haunting). Sure, I would go on to parody the lyrics, but the sound of the song is distinctive.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:04 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next