Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Blu-Ray and Surround Sound 
Post Blu-Ray and Surround Sound
I am considering to buy a surround sound system (DVD player, amplifier, speakers) and found a decent one which I can afford. Somebody has told me that this system would not support "the new Blu-Ray surround sound format", though.

I was not aware of any Blu-Ray specific surround sound format. Do Blu-Rays have the option of normal 5.1 surround sound as well? If so, is it possible to connect a Blu-Ray player to a surround sound system, which isn't designed to play the "Blu-Ray format", and to get 5.1 surround sound?

As my questions may indicate, I don't know very much about the technicalities involved. Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:54 am
Post Re: Blu-Ray and Surround Sound
Hi Unke

Blu Ray gives you multiple opportunities.

Don't worry you'll be fine.

My assumption is that your amp will deal with Dolby Digital and DTS.

Blu ray also offers Dolby Digital HD and DTS MA (master audio) . These are what is called lossless audio channels.

Best way to think about it is that DTS is a compressed audio like a high quality mp3 file. It sounds great. DTS MA is like having each track at CD quality. It sounds better but only if you have the equipment to show it off.

The 'someone " is wrong. You'll be ablke to hear Dolby Digital and DTS I'm sure. if you could provide a little detail on the amp I could be more specific and certain.

Rob

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:19 am
Hi Rob,

thank you very much for the answer. The amp in question is a Harmann Kardon product (HS 300 maybe?), which is being phased out and is, therefore, on offer. Otherwise I couldn't afford it. I'll try to find out about the technical details.

I am a bit worried that the problem is with the connections of the amp.

Unke

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:44 am
Unke

I did not realize that this was an all in a box system

http://www.hometheatermag.com/hometheat ... /1107harm/

It looks like you'll have to take the optical out audio from the Blu ray to the amp and the video signal direct to the display as the amp does not have video inputs. it will work but is not ideal.

Can I ask how much you are paying for this and maybe we can show you an alternative? I assume that the unit comes with all the speakers and the sub?

Rob

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:05 pm
Hi Rob,

thanks again. Of course, I should've said that it was an all-in-one system (including all speakers and a subwoofer).

Hmm, you're right - that doesn't seem to be an ideal system at all. I don't intend to purchase a Blu-Ray player soon, but I like to get equipment which will last for years and you never know about the future.

Also, the missus has rightfully questioned whether we can afford it at all - the package would be about EUR 1,000, which is a lot of money for us. I've saved money for some time to fulfill my dream of a nice projector and a surround sound system, but we have moved from a tiny to a large flat recently and all the money is being spent on the necessary furniture.

Cheaper alternatives would be much appreciated!

Thanks again,

Unke

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:45 am