Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:59 am

NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WILLING TO GIVE IT 
Post NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WILLING TO GIVE IT
Hi, guys. I gotta get a large number of surveys filled out for an assignment I'm doing about Media Violence and Censorship. I'm running out of time (this is related to my request for an interview from Mr Berardinelli in the other thread if any of you were wondering) and I am really desperate for help here. If any of you guys could find it in the goodness of your heart to help a member of our forum-'family' (*wink*) out and take a little bit of time to give me your serious answers to these questions, it would be MUCH appreciated.

Here's the questions:

1. Are you regularly exposed to violence in the media?

Yes / No

2. In your opinion, can violence in the media negatively influence young people's developing minds?

Yes / No

3. Is there a satisfactory system of censorship in today's society?

Yes / No

4. Does the ratings system that is in place for film and television work sufficiently in protecting young people from seeing material that could potentially disturb them?

Yes / No

5. Is the amount of violent or potentially disturbing material in the media (including films, TV, books, news, internet, etc.) growing larger and easier to access?

Yes / No

6. Given the chance, would you elect to reinvent society's system of censorship and control over what is and isn't easily accessible in the media

Yes / No

7. Does society need to take a more serious approach to this issue for a result of effective change to occur?

Yes / No

8. Do you think violence in society would decrease if young people's access to explicit material in the media was more effectively controlled?

Yes / No

9. Would you blame the media for the violent actions of some people?

Yes / No

10. Is it appropriate for parents to sidestep the ratings system and make their own decisions about what material their children may or may not be exposed to in the media?

Yes / No

11. Could it also possibly cause problems if young people were too restricted in what they could access in the media, because they could grow too sheltered and become unaware of the ugly side of society that exists in our world today?

Yes / No

12. Has society as a whole grown desensitised to violence to a large degree as a result of the amount of violent material used for entertainment purposes in the media?

Yes / No

13. Should the idea of freedom of speech prevent the government from banning certain films from the country due to their content?

Yes / No

14. Does the media sensationalise violence in order to attract a larger audience without thinking of the negative consequences that could occur as a result of these actions?

Yes / No

15. Is the controversy surrounding the issue of violence censorship in the media given too much attention at the expense of other more important social issues?

Yes / No

16. IF YOU ANSWERED 'YES' TO QUESTION 14 (IF NOT, GO ON TO THE NEXT QUESTION):
Do you think that over-analysing this problem publicly could influence problem to contribute to the existence of the problem to get media attention?

Yes / No

17. OPTIONAL: Write down anything you may want to add on the topics covered in this survey (would be helpful indeed)

I'd be SO grateful for any help on this, I tell ya.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:50 am
Post Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WILLING TO GIVE IT
im in a good mood, the lunch isn't ready, a guy's asking, what the hell.

Destructo wrote:

Yes / No

2. In your opinion, can violence in the media negatively influence young people's developing minds?

Yes / No

Yes / No

4. Does the ratings system that is in place for film and television work sufficiently in protecting young people from seeing material that could potentially disturb them?

Yes / No - the true answer is, if they're gonna be disturbed, its up to the parents, the rating system to me has always been irrelevant except for movies like once who get fucked and make less money because of that

5. Is the amount of violent or potentially disturbing material in the media (including films, TV, books, news, internet, etc.) growing larger and easier to access?

Yes / No - can't really compare, not old enough, all ive got is 2 decades

6. Given the chance, would you elect to reinvent society's system of censorship and control over what is and isn't easily accessible in the media

Yes / No - i dont get this, its not society's system - but would i change it?yes.

7. Does society need to take a more serious approach to this issue for a result of effective change to occur?

Yes / No

8. Do you think violence in society would decrease if young people's access to explicit material in the media was more effectively controlled?

Yes / No

Yes / No

10. Is it appropriate for parents to sidestep the ratings system and make their own decisions about what material their children may or may not be exposed to in the media?

Yes / No

11. Could it also possibly cause problems if young people were too restricted in what they could access in the media, because they could grow too sheltered and become unaware of the ugly side of society that exists in our world today?

Yes / No

12. Has society as a whole grown desensitised to violence to a large degree as a result of the amount of violent material used for entertainment purposes in the media?

Yes / No

13. Should the idea of freedom of speech prevent the government from banning certain films from the country due to their content?

Yes / No

14. Does the media sensationalise violence in order to attract a larger audience without thinking of the negative consequences that could occur as a result of these actions?

Yes / No

15. Is the controversy surrounding the issue of violence censorship in the media given too much attention at the expense of other more important social issues?

Yes / No - what controversy.

Do you think that over-analysing this problem publicly could influence problem to contribute to the existence of the problem to get media attention?

Yes / No - WTF? tell me ive got this right. does someone start making violent movies cuz we're talking about what effects they have, just cuz he's an attention whore?? yes, there could be some odd idiot, but no.

17. OPTIONAL: Write down anything you may want to add on the topics covered in this survey (would be helpful indeed)

odd survey. some questions are phrased questionably.
check out the violence and nudity and ratings thread. i think the title is "what's wrong with boobs?" or something.

ok brother. you can show your grateful-ness in gold coins. have em delivered by fed ex. ill PM you my address. im waiting.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:29 am
Question 16 refers to whether or not someone would commit a violent crime for the pleasure of being able to say 'PLAYING GRAND THEFT AUTO MADE ME DO IT!' and getting caught up in the whole media brouhaha over the effect of media violence.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:00 pm

Yes

No

Yes

No

Yes

No

No

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

Yes

N/A

You should've flipped a coin for your survey, that's what I did in college.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:06 pm
Destructo wrote:

These questions are meaningless on the internet, which is read by people from all over the world (and thus are from different "societies" and have different standards of ratings/censorship).

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:11 am
As a recent graduate and Sociology Major myself, how can I say no? Is this for your research thesis or just for a Violence and Media Statistics course? Any the who......

Yes

Yes

No

No

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

No

Yes / No

I don't think that just seeing violent images can create the ideas for kids and impressionable adults, but I do think that surrounding oneself in violence can create a lifestyle that one can easily lose thereself in. I think that in America we censor the wrong things and that it should be up to a parent's discretion what they want their children to be exposed to, such as nudity over violence just as an easy example. I also think that media exposure of violence leads to more violence, take for example how many school shootings happened before they were major news stories covered 24 hours a day for at least a week? Not too many.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:22 am
Destructo wrote:
Hi, guys. I gotta get a large number of surveys filled out for an assignment I'm doing about Media Violence and Censorship. I'm running out of time (this is related to my request for an interview from Mr Berardinelli in the other thread if any of you were wondering) and I am really desperate for help here. If any of you guys could find it in the goodness of your heart to help a member of our forum-'family' (*wink*) out and take a little bit of time to give me your serious answers to these questions, it would be MUCH appreciated.

Here's the questions:

Yes

Yes - poorly worded question - the word "can" is leading the witness

Yes - but parents ignore it

Yes - same as 3

Yes - Internet

No

Yes

No - European countries (UK) has violence in media but their societies are less violent

No

Yes - If No how would you enforce?

Yes - again a badly worded question

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

I have no idea what this sentence means

Your paper is narrowly focussed on violence and censorship and the impact on society. The problem is that it's not a discreet issue.

Rob

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:22 pm
Destructo wrote:

Here's the questions:

Yes

Yes

Yes

-- This question is too broad. It's both yes and no.

No

Yes

No

Yes

No

No

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

- Question 15 is the same as question 14, more or less.

No

During the course of answering the questions I realized that this survey was complete nonsense and the general impotence people feel when talking about restructuring censorship won't go away so long as people have the word 'dialectic' in their vocab.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:41 am
During the course of answering the questions I realized that this survey was complete nonsense and the general impotence people feel when talking about restructuring censorship won't go away so long as people have the word 'dialectic' in their vocab.[/quote]
:lol:
but true, it is a shit survey.

wouldn't it be fun, if it was actually an study of how many people are willing to give a shit survey? :lol:

q16 :lol: :lol: :lol: WTF? that's gotta be fake.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:53 am
I did my best, guys, so cut out the silly talk. Also, I realise question 16 is poorly worded, as a few of the other questions are. I didn't have much time to come up with the questions, and it's too late to deal with it now. Either help me or get out of the thread now, none of this talking down to me for having a go rubbish.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:38 pm
Destructo wrote:
I did my best, guys, so cut out the silly talk. Also, I realise question 16 is poorly worded, as a few of the other questions are. I didn't have much time to come up with the questions, and it's too late to deal with it now. Either help me or get out of the thread now, none of this talking down to me for having a go rubbish.

apologies destrcto. you hadn't posted anything outside this, maybe i started to believe this was fake. and in that impression, when you're looking for laughs you can get a bit carried away. my apologies. its your thing. :oops:

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 pm
Yeah, that's alright, man, I accept your apology :D

Anyways, I need 14 more of these. Anyone reading this who can't be bothered to do the survey (whether it be a poorly written one or not) please help me out. I've come too far now not to reach my goal (my goal is 100 surveys, 86 have been filled out).

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 am
Destructo wrote:
Yeah, that's alright, man, I accept your apology :D

Anyways, I need 14 more of these. Anyone reading this who can't be bothered to do the survey (whether it be a poorly written one or not) please help me out. I've come too far now not to reach my goal (my goal is 100 surveys, 86 have been filled out).

I would've done the survey, but since I do not live in the U.S. and am subject to a completely different "censorship regime", it wouldn't be of much use, or would it?

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:05 am
I don't live in the US either. I live in Australia myself.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:10 am
Destructo wrote:
I don't live in the US either. I live in Australia myself.

Okay, here it comes, then:

Yes

Yes, but this is depending on the context and the presentation of violence.

No - with regard to the German system, there insufficient transparency about the decision-making process at the competent authority, leading to arbitratry decisions, IMO. Also, decisions are not being reevaluated on a consistent basis. The uncut version of Carpenter's "The Thing", for instance, may not be sold or displayed at shops and video stores, to which minors have access. This decision ws made in the early 80ies.

No, but this is an issue of how the ratings system is enforced.

Yes, there is more and more graphic violence in films and on TV, the internet accounts for better accessibility to violent contents.

Yes, if reform equals reinvention.

Yes

Yes, but not to a large degree.

Yes, in rare instances. IMO, the news reporting on school shootings tends to be sensationalistic, "inspiring" others.

Yes

Yes, in extreme cases

No, not to a large degree

No, but only in extreme cases. I'm thinking of the seven Nazi propaganda films which may not be shown in Germany outside of an academic context, films which incite racial hatred or child pornography, for instance.

Yes

Yes

No, but I'm not sure I understand the question correctly

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 am
As I mentioned earlier, Question 16 means:

Do you think that if there is a massive deal about media violence being made in the media, then an already psycho person could finally decide to kill someone just to say 'TV/MOVIES/GAMES MADE ME DO IT' and get 15 seconds of fame in the media, even when media is not at all to blame?

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:51 am
Destructo wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, Question 16 means:

Do you think that if there is a massive deal about media violence being made in the media, then an already psycho person could finally decide to kill someone just to say 'TV/MOVIES/GAMES MADE ME DO IT' and get 15 seconds of fame in the media, even when media is not at all to blame?

Ah, sorry, I missed that.

No - I don't think anybody would commit violent acts just in order to blame the media for it, but people may do so in order to get media-attention.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:55 am