Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:41 pm

About to purchase an X-Box 360.... 
Post Re: About to purchase an X-Box 360....
Blace wrote:
If you want a good story with lots of sci-fi Mass Effect is easily one of the best games on the system (my personal favorite). I'd also recommend Dead Space, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and both Gears of War games.

I second that--one of the best RPGs ever.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:46 pm
Blace wrote:
If you want a good story with lots of sci-fi Mass Effect is easily one of the best games on the system (my personal favorite). I'd also recommend Dead Space, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and both Gears of War games.

Isn't Mass Effect the game that was being touted as a genuinely scary, horror-like gaming experience...they were running commercials several months back with a silent hill like jerky body movement creature springing up behind someone to impale them in the back of the head?

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:45 pm
Blace wrote:

Mass Effect is hands down the best game for the 360, and I believe out of them all (I also love Bioware, too). That being said, I hated Oblivion (partly because I loved Morrowind, the game before it, and thought Oblivion was an awful sequel), and could never really get into Fallout 3. Those two games are better for the PC because of all the mods that the community has made.

Quote:
Isn't Mass Effect the game that was being touted as a genuinely scary, horror-like gaming experience...they were running commercials several months back with a silent hill like jerky body movement creature springing up behind someone to impale them in the back of the head?

No, Mass Effect is a space epic action-RPG not unlike Star Wars in many respects (and in many ways, much, much better). That ad is for Dead Space, the space horror game.

Quote:
If you are into that sort of thing, get Guitar Hero World Tour. It is my favorite guitar hero game, and it is much better than Rock Band 2. Both are good games though.

Nah, Rockband 2 is better. Better songs with DLC, more refined gameplay, and RB1 songs, as well as song imports.

That being said, here's some other fun games:
The Halo Series (even Wars)
The Orange Box
Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Dead Space
Gears of War (both)
Fable 2
GTA IV

Mirror's Edge is also really good but it should be a rental.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:07 am
Don't forget about Bioshock (some of the best level design/ intuitive gameplay ever for a system) and Bioshock 2. Someone already mentioned the Orange Box which you can pick up for $20 and it comes with 4 games in one. Also no one, and I mean ABSOLUTELY no one owns a 360 without Halo 2 and 3. Oh, and Resident Evil 5 just came out which is pretty sweet. You must also get the latest Tiger Woods and NCAA football too!!!

There, you ought to have plenty to keep you occupied for a while!

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:37 am
Yep, Friday is the day and I will have plenty to keep myself and my 12 year old occupied. We will be borrowing RE5 from my cousin and probably will play it then too....I'm going to buy one action RPG to start us off (after consulting with the genius) and then it's sore fingers and a lack of direct sunlight for a while... 8-)

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:10 am
Anyone play FIFA or PES? I'm curious how they are on the next-gen systems. I still rock the PS2.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:21 pm
I'll give a list of the ones I play all the time.

Battlefield 2: A great fun war game where you basically play a more realistic version of green army men, switching from riflemen to rocket launchers to snipers to tanks to helicopters.

Call of Duty 4: A great game that takes a very realistic portrayal of modern warfare, and has a good bite, without dropping any spoilers.

Red Alert 3: Silly, silly fun.

Mass Effect: Picture immersing yourself in a Star Wars universe. This is aa simply breathtaking game.

Mirror's Edge: This is worth playing simply for the breaktaking experiance of playing through the eyes of the protaganist. You get that in first person shooters, but nothing like this.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted: This (and the two Underground games) are the best in the long running series. There's High Stakes where you can play as the cops (as the Victoria police in Australia no less) but that's not on the XBOX.

Rainbow Six Vegas: If you can pick up both games, but the second one is superior.

Resident Evil 5: You may have had to play through the series, but this is one of my favourite games without a doubt.

Rock Band 2: You can create yourself and make up the band members or Rolling Stones or Aerosmith. Or if you tire of the extensive in ame track list you can download heaps more. Being able to sing, play guitar and drum to your favourite songs is a blaast few games can match.

Saints Row 2: I picked this over Grand Theft Auto because of the sheer fun in the game.

Soul Calibur: A great fighting game, especially if you had been following the series.

Smackdown vs Raw: Even if you ddon't like wrestling put yourself in the game and recreate the UFC fighters. Or put in your favourite fighting game characters using the extensive create mode.

And old XBOX games on the system.

Knights of the Old Republic: By far the best Star Wars game made.

Max Payne: A great film noir game that rips off The Matrix .

Need for Speed Underground: As mentioned the best in the series, a great racer.

The Punisher: This is based off the Marvel Knights\Max ccomics as opposed to the films. A hardcore brutal game that has you butchering and torturing as the ultimate anti heero.

Splinter Cell: Hardcore sneak'em up from the pen of Tom Clancy.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:06 pm