Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:11 pm

About to purchase an X-Box 360.... 
Post About to purchase an X-Box 360....
Yeah I know, some of you would recommend the PS3 instead...but I'm gonna go Microsoft. I'm curious what games you would recommend besides the obvious big names. I'm fortunate enough to be able to borrow many of those from a cousin. What's out there that was perhaps under the radar but alot of fun. I know that I want a zombie stomper in the library for sure.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:32 am
Post Re: About to purchase an X-Box 360....
This was kind of a big game, but I had a lot of fun with Dead Rising. You beat the shit out of zombie after zombie after zombie. You don't even need to play it for the story, but that's an option. It's great.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:29 am
if you want a sub-mediocre game that is fun to play with friends and rip on--not a zombie stomper, but an orc stomper--try lord of the rings: conquest haha. my guess is you don't want was just described.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:35 am
There's Left 4 Dead, balls to the walls zombie game.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:43 am
PS3, 360, who cares/ I have both, and they're fine systems.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:40 am
NHL09
One of the best sports games ever (not just according to me--check out some reviews).

Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:59 pm
moulton4 wrote:
if you want a sub-mediocre game that is fun to play with friends and rip on--not a zombie stomper, but an orc stomper--try lord of the rings: conquest haha. my guess is you don't want was just described.

I've tried to play those before on Gamecube but just couldn't get into it. The gameplay was not terrible but was just missing something for me.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:17 pm
Pedro wrote:
This was kind of a big game, but I had a lot of fun with Dead Rising. You beat the shit out of zombie after zombie after zombie. You don't even need to play it for the story, but that's an option. It's great.

I looked it up on YouTube and it is splendid. The lawnmower is hilarious....
:lol:

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:25 pm
Patrick wrote:
There's Left 4 Dead, balls to the walls zombie game.

I just watched about 15 minutes of that game and it's incredible. Definitely picking that one up.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:41 pm
Cinematographer

Left 4 Dead is easily my favorite game of 2008. You are getting it.

Despite PS3 being more powerful, XBOX360 has a much better library of games. I would also recommend the Gears of War series and Halo, of course. Assassin's Creed is alright, but it gets really repetitive. It's unique though. Call of Duty Modern Warfare and World at War are both great games; I advise you to avoid any of the previous CoDs.

Something a bit less main stream: Dynasty Warriors 6. Asian hack and slash, all about leveling up characters and doing awesome moves and such. Very entertaining. I love the whole series, this is the first game on the 360.

If you are into that sort of thing, get Guitar Hero World Tour. It is my favorite guitar hero game, and it is much better than Rock Band 2. Both are good games though.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:28 pm
darthyoshi wrote:

Despite PS3 being more powerful, XBOX360 has a much better library of games. I would also recommend the Gears of War series and Halo, of course. Assassin's Creed is alright, but it gets really repetitive. It's unique though. Call of Duty Modern Warfare and World at War are both great games; I advise you to avoid any of the previous CoDs.

Something a bit less main stream: Dynasty Warriors 6. Asian hack and slash, all about leveling up characters and doing awesome moves and such. Very entertaining. I love the whole series, this is the first game on the 360.

If you are into that sort of thing, get Guitar Hero World Tour. It is my favorite guitar hero game, and it is much better than Rock Band 2. Both are good games though.

I love a great action RPG....not really into sports games or Guitar Hero. I remember seeing a review of another, I believe Asian game where the hero had to climb up giant monsters and attack their weak spot. I'll have to look it up. I was impressed with the visuals and Adam and Morgan from X-Play were into it...

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:49 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:

I love a great action RPG....not really into sports games or Guitar Hero. I remember seeing a review of another, I believe Asian game where the hero had to climb up giant monsters and attack their weak spot. I'll have to look it up. I was impressed with the visuals and Adam and Morgan from X-Play were into it...

Shadow of Colossus? It's supposed to be very engagingm but simple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_Colossus

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:57 pm
Shadow of the Colossus...too bad it's for the PS2 and not for the 360...too bad it's also a boring and frustrating game but your mileage may vary on that aspect.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:06 pm
Patrick wrote:
Shadow of the Colossus...too bad it's for the PS2 and not for the 360...too bad it's also a boring and frustrating game but your mileage may vary on that aspect.

Frustration is pleasure for some. :D

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:18 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Frustration is pleasure for some. :D

You lousy Argo-loving masochist :D

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:22 pm
Patrick wrote:

can't wait for the movie they make of it...i'm serious.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:41 pm
If you want a good story with lots of sci-fi Mass Effect is easily one of the best games on the system (my personal favorite). I'd also recommend Dead Space, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and both Gears of War games.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:52 pm
moulton4 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

can't wait for the movie they make of it...i'm serious.

But I think that movie is destined to fail. It's not very cinematic and making it faithful is going to bore a lot of people but playing around will undermine the concept of the game. This adaption just can't win.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:20 am
Moovy1 wrote:

Devil May Cry??? some significant climbing is involved in boss fights. im talking of DMC4. haven't played the others.and the visuals, well. they speak for themselves. especially on a PC.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:36 am
Patrick wrote:

That's it, thanks. Those PS2's are dirt cheap now so it might be worth purchasing one of those as well. Not to mention the enormous catalog of games available for it. For the last several years I've watched all of the game reviews for these consoles that I've never owned. I started to get back into gaming after my son began bringing his Gamecube over on weekends years ago, and now I want to play some of these games that I missed out on. I'll have to acclimate to X-Box controls though I've only ever played Sony (ps1) and Nintendo...

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:19 am