Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 am

Question about Running Website for Movie Reviews 
Director

Post Question about Running Website for Movie Reviews
I see some of the members here have their own sites in which their movie reviews are located. I was wondering which sites are the best (free of course)? I'm very interested in doing one of my own, just haven't found the time or the right site to pursue this interest.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Question about Running Website for Movie Reviews
There's always blogspot, they're free and there's some amount of customization. If you actually want a real website, maybe you can talk to moulton.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:16 pm
used to have a free website, but it wasn't very "personalizeable", so I now pay for my url. (you can find it in my sig.) in any case, like you've already been told, you can use blogspot or any other blogging service. they're very good for posting articles like film reviews.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:29 pm
Director

Sebastian wrote:
used to have a free website, but it wasn't very "personalizeable", so I now pay for my url. (you can find it in my sig.) in any case, like you've already been told, you can use blogspot or any other blogging service. they're very good for posting articles like film reviews.

Yours was the one I checked out last night and was the most impressed with. Blogspot does indeed look perfect (thanks Patrick), just wanting to see if there's any other suggestions, but I might start with blogspot.

P.S. - How much do you pay for your URL?

Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Sebastian wrote:

Yours was the one I checked out last night and was the most impressed with. Blogspot does indeed look perfect (thanks Patrick), just wanting to see if there's any other suggestions, but I might start with blogspot.

P.S. - How much do you pay for your URL?

about $150 a year... it's not particularly cheap, but considering you pay for a full year, it's not bad either. I have 300 reviews and 400 images in the site and haven't run out of bandwidth yet. if you think you'll be dedicated to your site, I'd say it's definitely worth it. =)

Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:04 pm
Director

I guess I would be willing to pay a little, just not 150 a year, I'm a college student, I'm poor, lol. Any other suggestions?

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I guess I would be willing to pay a little, just not 150 a year, I'm a college student, I'm poor, lol. Any other suggestions?

heh, I'm a college student too... =/

anyway, it's a matter of investigating. I'm sure there are cheaper services, and in the end, it all depends on the bandwidth you're planning to use or how much space you need. I've written 300 reviews and plan to double that amount by next year - of course I need a lot of space and bandwidth. but if you need something more modest, I don't think you'll need to pay 150 bucks.

just look it up. you could start by asking James how he found his url provider, for example =D

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:25 am
Director

I gotta tell ya, I absolutely love the set-up of your site. The nearest thing I have to a journal for my reviews is facebook, and I think I'm at around 650 short paragraph reviews on there. But I want something more where I can talk more about the film. If you could hit me up with the site provider and give me some tips as to what goes into the whole thing, I could be down for something like this, would keep a lot organized and I like that.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:38 am
Profile WWW
I went through hostmonster (not free). It was 4.95 a month when i signed up, but now its up to 5 or 6.95 a month

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:53 am
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I gotta tell ya, I absolutely love the set-up of your site. The nearest thing I have to a journal for my reviews is facebook, and I think I'm at around 650 short paragraph reviews on there. But I want something more where I can talk more about the film. If you could hit me up with the site provider and give me some tips as to what goes into the whole thing, I could be down for something like this, would keep a lot organized and I like that.

hahaha, thanks. look, I'm gonna send an e-mail to the guy who helps me contact the provider, and ask him about it, maybe ask him for the website or whatever. the moment he answers me, I'll send you the link or the info. regarding the tips, just ask me anything you want... hopefully, I'll be able to help you. =)

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:13 am
Director

Sebastian wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

hahaha, thanks. look, I'm gonna send an e-mail to the guy who helps me contact the provider, and ask him about it, maybe ask him for the website or whatever. the moment he answers me, I'll send you the link or the info. regarding the tips, just ask me anything you want... hopefully, I'll be able to help you. =)

Thanks, appreciate it.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Director

moulton4 wrote:
I went through hostmonster (not free). It was 4.95 a month when i signed up, but now its up to 5 or 6.95 a month

That sounds manageable though. How do you like it?

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
It's honestly the best. PHP, unlimited bandwith, MYSQL, EMAIL. they are great.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:58 pm
Director

moulton4 wrote:
It's honestly the best. PHP, unlimited bandwith, MYSQL, EMAIL. they are great.

That does indeed sound like a great deal. Plus it's half the price of what Sebastian pays for his site (although his layout is a little snazzier, I'll admit). I think I'm going to get on this soon, probably using the host you told me about Moulton. Thanks man.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:10 pm
Profile WWW