Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:22 pm

Baseball!! 
Post Re: Baseball!!
El Duderino wrote:
And as long as the Mets don't win the division, I'm happy. They're pretty much the Yankees of the NL.

What in the fuck are you smoking? And please share some. As a lifelong Mets fan, I found this statement pretty ridiculous, seeing as how the Mets have 2 titles and the Yankees have 27. The only thing similar between the two is the high payroll, but that's just about where the similarities end...the true "Yankees of the NL" would be the Cardinals, in my book, because they have the second highest amount of World Series victories with 10.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:47 am
Director

Timmy Shoes wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
And as long as the Mets don't win the division, I'm happy. They're pretty much the Yankees of the NL.

What in the fuck are you smoking? And please share some. As a lifelong Mets fan, I found this statement pretty ridiculous, seeing as how the Mets have 2 titles and the Yankees have 27. The only thing similar between the two is the high payroll, but that's just about where the similarities end...the true "Yankees of the NL" would be the Cardinals, in my book, because they have the second highest amount of World Series victories with 10.

I'll just say this first: I'm a Braves fan. I don't like the Mets. With that being said, I'll rather have the Mets winning a World Series before the Yankees winning another one. I also don't want the Phillies to win another ring. This is the year of the Braves. We have very good young players that can help us win for years to come.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:43 am
Profile YIM
Timmy Shoes wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

As a lifelong Cubs fan, I stand by the OP's statement. I HATE the Mets.

One of my proudest moments was getting kicked out of Wrigley field, before the game even started. It was 1987 and Gooden had just coming back from his drug rehab and was warming up pre-game. My friend and I got out our boombox, and started playing Cocaine, by Eric Clapton (this was planned). Soon, the whole stadium was singing. We got removed from Wrigley, and, although we were both only 17 or so at the time got invited to watch the game at the Cubby Bear Lounge.

The thing I miss most about the US, while living overseas, is no Cub games at Wrigley. :cry:

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:01 am
And I just want to go on record as a lifelong Cubs fan, who are, as a breed, genetically predisposed to hate the Cardinals, that Albert Pujols is a god and we are truly blessed to be able to see one of the greatest hitters of all time.

I consider myself to be so lucky to have been alive to see some of the greatest athletes ever in their respective sports play. MJ, Payton, Schumacher, Bubka, Gretzky, Maddux... I put Pujols up on that level, and think, when it's all over, that he may be considered the greatest right-handed hitter ever (and yes, I'm aware of a few people named Hornsby, Dimaggio, Foxx, Mays, Greenberg, Aaron...).

This is not just looking through the rose-colored glasses of the present, and the overinflation of praise due to familiarity. The numbers don't lie. Nobody has accomplished what Pujols has in his first 8 seasons. Nobody. And that includes Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb... nobody.

The big if is, can he stay healthy. If so, he's a lock.

Last edited by MunichMan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:06 am
Critic

MunichMan wrote:
And I just want to go on record as a lifelong Cubs fan, who are, as a breed, genetically predisposed to hate the Cardinals, that Albert Pujols is a god and we are truly blessed to be able to see one of the greatest hitters of all time.

I consider myself to be so lucky to have been alive to see some of the greatest athletes ever in their respective sports play. MJ, Payton, Schumacher, Bubka, Gretzky, Maddux... I put Pujols up on that level, and think, when it's all over, that he may be considered the greatest right-handed hitter of all time.

Good to hear you say that. I hate when Pujols gets booed at opposing stadiums just because he's the opposition: he's so incredible and has always been outspoken about not taking steroids, which is awesome. It's so great being a Cardinals fan for the last 10 years: not only did I get to see this incredible player, but I got to see him on my team!

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:27 am
Thanks James. I edited my post a bit while you were posting. :)

I always look at the Cubs box score first, of course. But then the Cardinals, hoping they lost and Albert went 3-4 with a HR. :D

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:32 am
MunichMan wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

As a lifelong Cubs fan, I stand by the OP's statement. I HATE the Mets.

One of my proudest moments was getting kicked out of Wrigley field, before the game even started. It was 1987 and Gooden had just coming back from his drug rehab and was warming up pre-game. My friend and I got out our boombox, and started playing Cocaine, by Eric Clapton (this was planned). Soon, the whole stadium was singing. We got removed from Wrigley, and, although we were both only 17 or so at the time got invited to watch the game at the Cubby Bear Lounge.

The thing I miss most about the US, while living overseas, is no Cub games at Wrigley. :cry:

That's pretty epic, I have to say. But your hating of the Mets, just adds to our swagger. And I have no animosity towards the Cubs. It's the Phillies, Braves and Cardinals that need to go :D

Plus I'd like to remind everyone that the 86 world champion mets were a bunch of coked up assholes. and i love them for being that way. Steroids? fughettabout that stoopid shit, these guys were popping greenies (amphetamines). Albeit it was the 80s...who wasn't doing coke? lol

Want a good baseball read? The Bad Guys Won by Jeff Pearlman about the 86 Mets. Even if you hate the Mets, it's a damned good baseball book.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:28 am
AHA! I have found and resurrected the baseball thread! Now we can all stop talking about basketball!

I think the Mets might make 3rd place this year. I just hope they finish about .500

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
AHA! I have found and resurrected the baseball thread! Now we can all stop talking about basketball!

I think the Mets might make 3rd place this year. I just hope they finish about .500

They absolutely killed my Dbacks over the weekend for reasons that I'm still trying to figure out. Of course, now that my team is back home they win a series against the Phillies. Baseball is a funny game sometimes.

Judging from the small amount of posts in this thread, I'm not sure there are many big baseball fans are on this board. I'm one of them though. :)

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:23 pm
I'm a bigger baseball fan than when this thread was started, but I still know little about its history or players. I live in and around San Francisco, so it's no surprise that I'm a Giants fan. Oh man, when they won the World Series last year, the entire city was basically in chaos. On the night of, my friend tried to get dinner out and there were people partying in the streets. He doesn't even live near downtown! If you hop over a few streets, you'll be in Daly City.

So far, The Giants could be doing better. The Rockies are kicking some serious ass in their division at the moment. Eh, it's so hard to pull a Series win two years in a row, at this point I just want them to beat the Dodgers. It's still early, but I feel like that's about all I can hope for.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:29 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:

They absolutely killed my Dbacks over the weekend for reasons that I'm still trying to figure out. Of course, now that my team is back home they win a series against the Phillies. Baseball is a funny game sometimes.

Judging from the small amount of posts in this thread, I'm not sure there are many big baseball fans are on this board. I'm one of them though. :)

I'm a pretty big fan of the D-backs. Anyone who lets the Mets sweep them and then takes a series against the Phillies is respected in my book.

Also, it was nice in 2001 to be able to point and laugh at the Yankees fans who always gave me shit. I was a fan of the D-backs that year.

Overall, it's hard not to be pessimistic when it comes to the Mets, because they are notorious for being disappointing, but I honestly believe the team is headed in the right direction with it's new front office and managerial staff. On the other hand, a lot of die hard Mets fans believe we won't see any kind of success until the Wilpon(zi's) sell the team.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:29 pm