Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:15 am

Baseball!! 
Post Re: Baseball!!
Servant wrote:
Hey El! I'll be at the game tomorrow night when we play your boys. I think the Phillies will come alive, as they always do, mid season. No reason that they couldn't repeat given the immense talent on that team. You biggest problem is Hamels. Heard he got knocked out of the game today with a line drive to the shoulder. Not good. You really need that guy cuz the rest of your rotation is suspect though, as a Marlin fan, we can always count of the age-defying Jamie Moyer to give us a hard time. LOL!

As for the sparse crowds, I think our television numbers speak to that. Marlin games are one of the most watched in all of Fox sports. The fact is that it's alot more comfortable to watch a game from the comfort of an air conditioned home than it is in 95 degree sweltering heat with 80% humidity. Plus, you don't have to deal with drunken, smell fans. I think once the new stadium is built, with it retractable roof, they'll see an increase in ticket sales, though not as much as they claim they will. They are building on the old Orange Bowl lot. The surrounding area is "seedy" to say the least and dangerous at best. It's not a nice neighborhood. It's downtown Miami and the large fan base from Broward (where I am from) and Palm Beach Counties aren't going to make the drive down for the games.

Alot will depend on whether they clean that area up.

Trading Cabrera and Dontrelle hurt. The community was very disappointed. I was very disappointed. But if I've learned anything, I learned that Larry Bienfest is a genius. They guy has an eye for talent and knows how to make a deal to get that talent. I would have loved to see Miguel and Dontrelle stay but looking at our team now, we have a core group of young studs that make every game exciting and could very well make a run for the pennant. That's all a baseball fan can ask of his team.

Let's all just agree to hate the Mets. :lol:

You're absolutely right, the Phils seem to always start slow but it's different this time with Hamels' performance. He looked alright today until Prince Fielder smoked one off his pitching shoulder, so we'll see how that develops. Also, I still don't understand how Jamie Moyer and his 81 mph fastball aren't shelled every time he goes out there, but for some reason hitters swing into easy outs against him. We'll keep him around as long as that's the case haha.

It must be somewhat frustrating as a fan seeing your team trade away its big names like the Marlins do, but Beinfest always seems to make it work. I'd be really interested if he wrote a Moneyball-style book because he certainly works some magic. After the fire sales following the 1997 and 2003 championships the Marlins completely rebuilt themselves with guys no one had heard of prior, and every couple years it seems they just repeat the cycle. I remember one season a couple years ago where the Marlins' highest-paid player was Mike Hampton (who had been traded in a prior season!) and they were still really good.

And as long as the Mets don't win the division, I'm happy. They're pretty much the Yankees of the NL. If the Marlins win I'd be disappointed because the Phillies didn't, but I wouldn't be too upset.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:39 pm
Great xtra innings Boston/Yankees game last night. Especially since Boston won. :D

But I'm actually posting because ... y'know how they sometimes replay highlights from past old Series on sports channels? I saw one this morning w/the Dodgers in it, which reminded me of their '81 win...but what I always remember is the 4 Dodgers appearing on Solid Gold afterwards and singing "We Are the Champions" (for charity). Yes, I watched Solid Gold. Hey, I was, like, 13.

I did a Google, and someone put it on YouTube. Classic. Seriously. Their terrible singing. Their hair. Haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtaafSTzcDA

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:20 pm
Well, the Marlins/Phillies game I went to on Friday night was painful to watch. Matt Lindstrom's meltdown in the 9th was virtually unwatchable and crowned with a Shane Victorino grand slam. The whole series was a nightmare from a Marlins fan perspective though I am sure from the El Duderino view, it was a glorious thing to witness. :lol:

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:13 pm
Servant wrote:
Well, the Marlins/Phillies game I went to on Friday night was painful to watch. Matt Lindstrom's meltdown in the 9th was virtually unwatchable and crowned with a Shane Victorino grand slam. The whole series was a nightmare from a Marlins fan perspective though I am sure from the El Duderino view, it was a glorious thing to witness. :lol:

Yeah I'm sorry you had to catch that game, especially on your birthday weekend and everything, but that was a fantastic ending. It's just like the Phillies to fall asleep for 8 innings and then explode. That's another reason baseball is my favorite sport; no matter what the situation, the game is never out of reach.

I still think the Marlins are gonna be really good though - nice, solid win against the Mets tonight.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:59 pm
Yeah, it was a nice win. Did you see that we traded Logan Kensing to the Nats? We got a minor league pitcher in return...Kyle Gunderson. I don't know a thing about him but at this point, he can't be any worse than Andrew Miller...could he? LOL!!

Hey, what's with Jimmy Rollins? The guy looks OLD out there!!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:24 pm
Servant wrote:
Yeah, it was a nice win. Did you see that we traded Logan Kensing to the Nats? We got a minor league pitcher in return...Kyle Gunderson. I don't know a thing about him but at this point, he can't be any worse than Andrew Miller...could he? LOL!!

Hey, what's with Jimmy Rollins? The guy looks OLD out there!!

Haha, I might put Cody Ross in that fifth spot in the rotation - it's worth a shot. Jimmy looks horrible too, he keeps swinging at bad pitches when he's ahead of the count to get himself out. He really needs to step it up because I think it might take a while to get the pitching on track.

Thu May 07, 2009 1:26 pm
Manny, 50 game suspension for a banned substance....... That's one guy I never though would test positive.

Now my only hopes are that Pujols never does, that would be probably the biggest blow to baseball.

Fri May 08, 2009 1:46 am
stiefmo wrote:
Manny, 50 game suspension for a banned substance....... That's one guy I never though would test positive.

Now my only hopes are that Pujols never does, that would be probably the biggest blow to baseball.

Agreed. I'm a HUGE Jays fans but I have always respected and admired the amazing consistency of Pujols. I really, really, really hope he's clean but unfortunately I'm so used to players being dirty I won't be too surprised if I heard he tested positive.

On the plus side, I am loving how good the Jays have been thus far. Considering that Doc is the only starter from last year's best staff currently on the roster the Jays have done well. I hope Romero can keep up his good form when he gets off the DL, and Cecil and Richmond look like they'll be solid contributors to the staff. Snider has cooled off since his first 2 weeks but that kid is going to be sick. Lind and Hill are looking great and Rolen seems to be doing better than last year. Wells still doesn't make timely hits (or Rios) but all in all I'm starting to have hope that they can contend for the playoffs. Can't wait to go see the game Tuesday at the Dome; Halladay vs Burnett.

Go Jays!!

Sun May 10, 2009 7:23 pm
Might as well start this subject up again... :) Sorry James, your loss last night.

And while I remain a true blue Mets fan, I still am a fan of National League baseball, and the DH rule remains an unfair advantage to the American League.

While I would MUCH rather the AL go back to authentic baseball and let the pitcher hit, I know it is unrealistic to expect this, and so maybe it is time for the NL to even the playing field and bring in the DH rule. Its a real shame, and IMO a blow to authentic and strategic baseball, but this disparity needs to be leveled.

Of course, if this happened, it would make it even more of a PITA for me to root for a World Series winner between a Yankees and an NL East team.

27 world series championships... I did this with football, lets see how it works with baseball...

1903 is the jumping off point, which puts this as Worlds Series CIV (106). So lets round that down to 100 for the sake of easier #'s (and taking into consideration the Black Sox, the Boycott of 1904 and the more recent strike).

Currently, there are 30 teams, so lets use 25 at the median # of teams over these years. So there, you have 2500 teams vying for 100 championships. That's a 4% chance of winning the World Series each year.

The Yankees have now won 27 of them, which leaves 73 games to the other 2473 teams. That's a 2.95% chance each year.

I know this ain't scientific, but no matter how you slice it, 27 championships is a ridiculous record. I guess those pinstripes really do blind you.

Last edited by MrGuinness on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:09 am
Bummer. I hate the Yankees. Sunday night did the Phillies in. It was still fun watching that game in a few bars in Philly. Too bad it didn't come out the other way.

I'm in favor of ditching the DH rule. But the AL will never drop the advantage and the Players Union will never settle for a loss in jobs.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:34 am
Bondurant wrote:
I'm in favor of ditching the DH rule. But the AL will never drop the advantage and the Players Union will never settle for a loss in jobs.

There's no loss in jobs. 26 players is still 26 players. Its the lowering of the average salary that would happen with the loss of the DH.

The shame, however, is that they lower the authenticity and strategy of the entire game so that 15 people can make a higher salary.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:47 am
Director

The owrst part of last night's WS anything was having to hear Chris Berman's 25 year old schtick (BACKBACKBACKBACK) on the Sportscenter recaps. Tenure must have its privledges as he can drop his useless ass into any big game situation as head broadcaster/recapper/whatever.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:44 am
SPRING TRAINING!!!!!!!!!!!! The greatest time of the year for every baseball team. Even the Cubs, who starting game 5 of the season are statistically eliminated from the playoffs, have a chance this year. GO CARDINALS!!!!!

Attachments:
cardsvscubs.gif
cardsvscubs.gif [ 43.8 KiB | Viewed 1017 times ]
Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 pm
Even with the steroid era and his injuries I would still say he's the best player of his generation. Partly due to the fact that no one has ever accused him of using steriods, while guys that came into the league around the same time (Bonds, Palmeiro, etc.) all have question marks as to whether their quality of play was legitimate. I'm very fortunate to see him play twice in person during the 1990s, and hopefully I'll be able to see him again this time around.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:48 pm
Critic

stiefmo wrote:
SPRING TRAINING!!!!!!!!!!!! The greatest time of the year for every baseball team. Even the Cubs, who starting game 5 of the season are statistically eliminated from the playoffs, have a chance this year. GO CARDINALS!!!!!

Hey I'm a big Cardinals fan too! Woooo Baseball! It's the only sport I follow, and I'm obsessive

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:59 pm
James, it should be worth mentioning that the vivaelbirdos is the best blog for the Cardinals.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:09 pm
Critic

stiefmo wrote:
James, it should be worth mentioning that the vivaelbirdos is the best blog for the Cardinals.

Oh but of course Stiefmo! It should also be noted that I would go gay for Albert Pujols

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 pm
Ha ha that goes without saying.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:09 pm
Since Matt Millen was covertly hired by the Tigers I have lost much interest in baseball.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:26 am
Is anyone following this special group the commissioner put together and some of the silly ideas they are throwing out there? Floating divisions arranged by payroll? I love you Tony Larusa but seriously mate, what's the deal?

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:38 pm