Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:52 am

Baseball!! 
Post Baseball!!
Anyone else here excited about the start of the baseball season??? Being from Philly and being so pumped to start the season off tonight, a bunch of friends and I had a kickoff to the season yesterday. We got together at 9am and watched the Phillies postseason DVD box set and timed it so that we would get the games up until the game 5 rain delay in by the tip off to the Villanova game last night. Then we picked back up at inning six and got to watch the Phillies celebrate by 1am last night! I don't know if they can do it again(history says probably not) but all I know is that they have the potential to be as good or better(the bullpen cannot possibly repeat what it did last year but many hitters could/should have better years). Let's go Phillies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:15 pm
Post Re: Baseball!!
As a Seattle Mariners fan (and probably one of the only ones who will admit to being one), I am absolutely thrilled to see Griffey back in a Seattle uniform. One problem: almost all the M's games are shown on Fox Sports Northwest. I no longer have cable. I can't watch any of the games :( But I'm still excited. I love baseball.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:06 pm
mkratzer21 wrote:
As a Seattle Mariners fan (and probably one of the only ones who will admit to being one), I am absolutely thrilled to see Griffey back in a Seattle uniform. One problem: almost all the M's games are shown on Fox Sports Northwest. I no longer have cable. I can't watch any of the games :( But I'm still excited. I love baseball.

That sucks about not being able to see them play much but I'm really glad that Griffey is back there too. It will be nice for him to finish there. Throughout all of the drama in baseball the past decade with steroids, I always considered him to be a class act. I think he was one of if not the best players in his prime I have seen in my lifetime and I think that without the steroids era and his injuries, he would be recognized as the best of his generation.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:54 pm
I'll be excited when the Giants stop sucking.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:00 pm
bob harris wrote:
mkratzer21 wrote:

That sucks about not being able to see them play much but I'm really glad that Griffey is back there too. It will be nice for him to finish there. Throughout all of the drama in baseball the past decade with steroids, I always considered him to be a class act. I think he was one of if not the best players in his prime I have seen in my lifetime and I think that without the steroids era and his injuries, he would be recognized as the best of his generation.

Even with the steroid era and his injuries I would still say he's the best player of his generation. Partly due to the fact that no one has ever accused him of using steriods, while guys that came into the league around the same time (Bonds, Palmeiro, etc.) all have question marks as to whether their quality of play was legitimate. I'm very fortunate to see him play twice in person during the 1990s, and hopefully I'll be able to see him again this time around.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:31 pm
As a pure baseball fan it was fantastic to see Griffey take one out of the park in his M's debut.

As a Cardinals fan it was mind numbingly difficult to see the bullpen give up another loss.

Oh the ups and downs of 162 games.

God I love baseball.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:46 am
I've been a Tigers fan my entire life. They got smoked yesterday. Verlander appears to have lost the magic he had 2 years ago.

Since I now live in PA I've been thinking about making the Phillies my second team. I love going to games but Detroit is a half day drive away so Philly seems like the logical choice.

Today disc one of Ken Burn's Baseball should be in the mail from Netflix. Couldn't come at a better time.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:54 am
Lets go Atlanta Braves!!! Please get me back to another playoff season!!

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:31 am
I was somewhat excited to hear rumors of a decent pitching rotation over in the Reds camp, but I will believe it when I see it. They've been so bad for so long and have been running such a mickey mouse operation down there that I've now officially become a Brewers fan. Really. I've got a hat to prove it. Cost me 30 dollars. O well.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:42 pm
I'm a Mariners fan, so.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:49 pm
As of today, I'm a proud fan of the two and Orioles (2-0, get it? awful pun, I know). In a month, I'm sure we'll be well on our way to a 12th straight losing season. For now though, I hope AJ Burnett continues the trend of Yankees big name, big money pitchers stinking it up and we get the sweep. Sabathia and Wang can eat it.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:43 pm
I am a huge baseball fan and root for the Dodgers, Angels, and Braves. I am hoping Manny can stay healthy and not be an absolute disaster in the outfield. I pray that Ethier will have a fast start because I am always fearful that Torre will decide that Juan Pierre is deserving of playing time.

As far as the Braves go, their bullpen is a little scary, they should be undefeated right now. Here is hoping that Jordan Schafer has a strong rookie season and Francoeur can finally put it all together at the plate.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:36 am
I recently returned to being a baseball fan (last season) after being away for 25 years. :P I mean, I'd occasionally watch the playoffs/WS, but I didn't pay much attention to the sport as a whole. But I'm back to being a fanatic again.

My team is Boston Red Sox. Sadly, I live in California, so I can't see 99% of their games even with (regular) cable. Happily, MLB.tv (internet) has been working out really well for me and is much cheaper than the price of the cable Extra Innings package around here. I watch every single game. Go Boston!

And if that becomes not likely ... then ... Go Cubs! ... or ... "Go, whoever is the late-season underdog!" :)

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:30 am
MsHarlaus wrote:
I recently returned to being a baseball fan (last season) after being away for 25 years. :P I mean, I'd occasionally watch the playoffs/WS, but I didn't pay much attention to the sport as a whole. But I'm back to being a fanatic again.

My team is Boston Red Sox. Sadly, I live in California, so I can't see 99% of their games even with (regular) cable. Happily, MLB.tv (internet) has been working out really well for me and is much cheaper than the price of the cable Extra Innings package around here. I watch every single game. Go Boston!

And if that becomes not likely ... then ... Go Cubs! ... or ... "Go, whoever is the late-season underdog!" :)

Glad to see you come back to the grand ol game. However, if you're a Red Sox fan, the epic 2003 seven game series loss to the Yankees and the even more monumental 2004 season didnt get you back? Guess you wanted to see them win two championships before taking them back :D

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 am
jkberden wrote:
Glad to see you come back to the grand ol game. However, if you're a Red Sox fan, the epic 2003 seven game series loss to the Yankees and the even more monumental 2004 season didnt get you back? Guess you wanted to see them win two championships before taking them back :D

My older brother got me into baseball (and football) as a wee kid - he'd root for the Cubs/A's, me the Sox. But when I was 15ish, something called "dating/partying" took my attention. ;)

My friends/spouse weren't into sports ... it's not that I watched less, I didn't watch at all. Still later I spent much of my "me" time on internet/pcgames. I literally forget sports existed most of the time. I didn't see 2003 but did 2004 - my husband thought I'd gone crazy - but then ... over winter I gamed and forgot again. I know, what a lousy fan. lol. Didn't see 2007 either (WoW eats lives...).

Interest in pcgames has waned a lot, and last year I watched enough for the "excitement" to stick all through winter.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:53 am
After a slow start, Boston's back to awesome. Now if NY and Toronto would just start to lose a few more games ... :D

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:03 am
Florida Marlins fan checking in. Been on a hot streak right up till the Pirates whooped our butts. Oh well, I knew it couldn't last. Andrew Miller has been a major disappointment and everytime it's his turn to pitch, I just cringe, knowing that he's lucky to last past the 4th inning (if that!).

If we can just get another good arm in the rotation and stop making the defensive errors, we could make a run at the pennant. We'll see.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:21 pm
Hi Servant,

Phillies fan here, and a somewhat pessimistic one at that. I'd love nothing more to than to see em repeat but my begrudging pick to win the division is the Marlins. Every six years or so they just re-surface out of nowhere with home-grown talent, so 2009 should be their year. They easily have the best rotation in the division even with Miller's shenanigans and their lineup gets better every year. It should be a tough year in the NL East.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:48 pm
Servant wrote:
Florida Marlins fan checking in. Been on a hot streak right up till the Pirates whooped our butts. Oh well, I knew it couldn't last. Andrew Miller has been a major disappointment and everytime it's his turn to pitch, I just cringe, knowing that he's lucky to last past the 4th inning (if that!).

If we can just get another good arm in the rotation and stop making the defensive errors, we could make a run at the pennant. We'll see.

Question for a Marlins fan.

Baseball appears to be a tough sell in Florida. Why do you think that is? Perhaps the media just threw Florida baseball under the bus after those pics in SI of Anibel Sanchez hurling a no hitter in front of a sparse crowd?

Back to Andrew Miller...I'm a Tiger fan. I wasn't a big deal of the big trade. What did you think when it happened?

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:39 pm
Hey El! I'll be at the game tomorrow night when we play your boys. I think the Phillies will come alive, as they always do, mid season. No reason that they couldn't repeat given the immense talent on that team. You biggest problem is Hamels. Heard he got knocked out of the game today with a line drive to the shoulder. Not good. You really need that guy cuz the rest of your rotation is suspect though, as a Marlin fan, we can always count of the age-defying Jamie Moyer to give us a hard time. LOL!

As for the sparse crowds, I think our television numbers speak to that. Marlin games are one of the most watched in all of Fox sports. The fact is that it's alot more comfortable to watch a game from the comfort of an air conditioned home than it is in 95 degree sweltering heat with 80% humidity. Plus, you don't have to deal with drunken, smell fans. I think once the new stadium is built, with it retractable roof, they'll see an increase in ticket sales, though not as much as they claim they will. They are building on the old Orange Bowl lot. The surrounding area is "seedy" to say the least and dangerous at best. It's not a nice neighborhood. It's downtown Miami and the large fan base from Broward (where I am from) and Palm Beach Counties aren't going to make the drive down for the games.

Alot will depend on whether they clean that area up.

Trading Cabrera and Dontrelle hurt. The community was very disappointed. I was very disappointed. But if I've learned anything, I learned that Larry Bienfest is a genius. They guy has an eye for talent and knows how to make a deal to get that talent. I would have loved to see Miguel and Dontrelle stay but looking at our team now, we have a core group of young studs that make every game exciting and could very well make a run for the pennant. That's all a baseball fan can ask of his team.

Let's all just agree to hate the Mets. :lol:

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:51 pm