Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:38 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
TENNIS 
Author Message
Post TENNIS
Are there tennis fans here? Since we have a thread for basketball, soccer, etc, it's only fair that we also have one for my favorite sport.

Federer smashed his racquet during the semi-final match against Djokovic a few days ago (Sony Ericsson Open - he lost). Del Potro beat Nadal in the Qfinals. I'm hoping Murray takes this one.


Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:27 am
Post Re: TENNIS
sheryl wrote:
Are there tennis fans here? Since we have a thread for basketball, soccer, etc, it's only fair that we also have one for my favorite sport.

Federer smashed his racquet during the semi-final match against Djokovic a few days ago (Sony Ericsson Open - he lost). Del Potro beat Nadal in the Qfinals. I'm hoping Murray takes this one.



Hi Sheryl,

I like tennis and just yesterday bought my 12 year old (aspiring Federer) a new super racquet so that he can turn 13 on Monday and beat me up even more :-) We play every week!

On the pro circuit i always watch out for Andy Murray as he's a Brit. I admire Federer and see why my girlfriend "likes" Nadal.

Question for you. What's your favorite tennis scene in a movie?

Rob


Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:51 am
Post Re: TENNIS
I was down with Tennis for a month or two a couple years ago. Just my luck, the people I played with were competitive and didn't like it my and a couple other friends "Let's play for fun!" vibe....kind of killed tennis for me and them.


Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:09 pm
Post Re: TENNIS
yes.. i am also a tennis fan.. was following for "a while" since the Borg / McEnroe days (Wimbledoon 1980 - anyone?) but my all time favourite was Stefan Edberg.. and once he retired.. the charm and passion has gone out of it for me personally.. though i DO watch the Grand Slams on TV..

PB


Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:16 pm
Post Re: TENNIS
Polar Bear wrote:
yes.. i am also a tennis fan.. was following for "a while" since the Borg / McEnroe days (Wimbledoon 1980 - anyone?) but my all time favourite was Stefan Edberg.. and once he retired.. the charm and passion has gone out of it for me personally.. though i DO watch the Grand Slams on TV..

PB



I agree with the charm and passion having gone.

McEnroe, Borg, Nastasie.... maybe it was Ivan Lendl who turned the game into a mechanical power exhibition that was then followed by pete Sampras. I've often wondered if the advance of racquets and the speed of serve has ripped the artistry and joy out of the game.

Like you, I pay minor attention to Grand Slams and nothing else. I prefer to play.

Rob


Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:19 pm
Post Re: TENNIS
Robert Holloway wrote:

I agree with the charm and passion having gone.

McEnroe, Borg, Nastasie.... maybe it was Ivan Lendl who turned the game into a mechanical power exhibition that was then followed by pete Sampras. I've often wondered if the advance of racquets and the speed of serve has ripped the artistry and joy out of the game.

Like you, I pay minor attention to Grand Slams and nothing else. I prefer to play.

Rob


Mr. Holloway, I am a little worried about you, how do you get to play tennis, - looking at the amount of posts here.. I know i like the site.. and Jim's revies, but man you are on a world of your own :-) (positively)

But yes i agree.. it *WAS* Lendl and Wilander who made it mechanical (remember 1988 US Open Finall?).. with additional support from Jim Courier...

PB


Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:26 pm
Post Re: TENNIS
Quote:
Question for you. What's your favorite tennis scene in a movie?


I'll take a stab at that one. I have 2. The Royal Tenenbaums scene with Luke Wilson and his meltdown. HILARIOUS. And Tom Hanks in Bachelor Party. SUPERB funnies...


Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:57 pm
Post Re: TENNIS
I love both watching and playing tennis. I got into it in high school, and ended up lettering in the sport all four years.

As for favorite tennis scene from a movie, I'd say Wimbledon. The movie wasn't all that good, but Kirsten Dunst bouncing around the court in a short tennis skirt made it bearable.


Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:09 pm
Post Re: TENNIS
Can't say I enjoy watching or playing tennis. I'm a badminton person.


Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:00 pm
Post Re: TENNIS
not a fan. i appreciate the sport. will watch the grand slam finals. i dont know, i wont tune in to it. but i will watch it if im surfing, know what i mean.
ive followed the federer nadal rivalry somewhat. i am of course on federer's side. was on Agassi's side when sampras was around.

speaking of agassi, Steffi graf.


speaking of Steffi, i think i have to mention this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwbJWF8_-Q


PS-why cant i embed the video? dont you just paste the code here? am i doing it wrong?


Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:00 am
Post Re: TENNIS
Robert Holloway wrote:
sheryl wrote:
Are there tennis fans here? Since we have a thread for basketball, soccer, etc, it's only fair that we also have one for my favorite sport.

Federer smashed his racquet during the semi-final match against Djokovic a few days ago (Sony Ericsson Open - he lost). Del Potro beat Nadal in the Qfinals. I'm hoping Murray takes this one.



Hi Sheryl,

I like tennis and just yesterday bought my 12 year old (aspiring Federer) a new super racquet so that he can turn 13 on Monday and beat me up even more :-) We play every week!

On the pro circuit i always watch out for Andy Murray as he's a Brit. I admire Federer and see why my girlfriend "likes" Nadal.

Question for you. What's your favorite tennis scene in a movie?

Rob


i dont think ive seen any, well except Wimbledon. so my answer is the same as mkratzer21

"I'd say Wimbledon. The movie wasn't all that good, but Kirsten Dunst bouncing around the court in a short tennis skirt made it bearable."


Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:03 am
Post Re: TENNIS
I'm more a fan of playing Tennis rather than watching/following the circuit. About the only one i'll watch is the Australian Open, I don't care enough to sit up at Midnight-5am watching the other ones and it just isn't the same being DVR'ed. Stefan Edberg was my favorite player back then as well.

Over the past month i've been getting back into it fairly heavily as I just can't stand Badminton and Squash which is what most of my friends play. Tennis just feels like i'm getting a much better work out and winning points or having a great rally also gives me more satisfaction than those 2 other sports ever give me. In fact I just picked up a Babolat racquet and feel its the best one i've ever owned after being a big supporter of Head for years.


Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:43 am
Post Re: TENNIS
Big tennis fan and regular (mediocre) player here. I started watching back when Lendl was #1 (though I preferred Becker) and haven't stopped since. Nowadays, I'm a huge fan of Roger Federer. Not only is he a great player, but he seems like a real nice guy too.

He seems to have lost his mojo though. For the most part he's his usual great self, but then he goes through these phases where he can't seem to hit a ball into the court. It happened against Novak and happened last tournament against Murray.

I saw the Djokovic match and was really surprised when Roger smashed his racket. It's the first time I've ever seen him do that. There's something about Novak that bugs me, so I was pretty happy that Murray beat him in the final.

Oh and Kim Clijsters is coming back to the women's tour. I'm excited to see how she plays.


Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:20 pm
Post Re: TENNIS
I am blanking out on great tennis scenes in movies. I enjoyed "Wimbledon." Thought it was a cute romantic film.

I too am a big Federer fan. Djokovic seems a bit arrogant. He was interesting in the beginning but since winning the Australian Open, it seems his head hasn't stopped growing. I hope The Mighty Fed can win 1 or 2 more majors.


Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:29 pm
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1531
Post Re: TENNIS
Quote:
Question for you. What's your favorite tennis scene in a movie?


Strangers on a Train


Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:18 pm
Profile
Post Re: TENNIS
calvero wrote:
Quote:
Question for you. What's your favorite tennis scene in a movie?


Strangers on a Train


Calvero

You beat me to it. When i asked the question, that was the one that I hoped would surface.

A great movie as well :-)

Rob


Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:21 pm
Post Re: TENNIS
Polar Bear wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

I agree with the charm and passion having gone.

McEnroe, Borg, Nastasie.... maybe it was Ivan Lendl who turned the game into a mechanical power exhibition that was then followed by pete Sampras. I've often wondered if the advance of racquets and the speed of serve has ripped the artistry and joy out of the game.

Like you, I pay minor attention to Grand Slams and nothing else. I prefer to play.

Rob


Mr. Holloway, I am a little worried about you, how do you get to play tennis, - looking at the amount of posts here.. I know i like the site.. and Jim's revies, but man you are on a world of your own :-) (positively)

But yes i agree.. it *WAS* Lendl and Wilander who made it mechanical (remember 1988 US Open Finall?).. with additional support from Jim Courier...

PB



Hi Polar Bear

I played two sets with my son last night and will be playing a match against another Brit on Wednesday night. Indoor soccer on Sunday nights! There are 24 hours in a day to fill...

Post count is meaningless. It's what you say that really counts :-)

Rob


Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:24 pm
Post Re: TENNIS
Robert Holloway wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

I agree with the charm and passion having gone.

McEnroe, Borg, Nastasie.... maybe it was Ivan Lendl who turned the game into a mechanical power exhibition that was then followed by pete Sampras. I've often wondered if the advance of racquets and the speed of serve has ripped the artistry and joy out of the game.

Like you, I pay minor attention to Grand Slams and nothing else. I prefer to play.

Rob


Mr. Holloway, I am a little worried about you, how do you get to play tennis, - looking at the amount of posts here.. I know i like the site.. and Jim's revies, but man you are on a world of your own :-) (positively)

But yes i agree.. it *WAS* Lendl and Wilander who made it mechanical (remember 1988 US Open Finall?).. with additional support from Jim Courier...

PB



Hi Polar Bear

I played two sets with my son last night and will be playing a match against another Brit on Wednesday night. Indoor soccer on Sunday nights! There are 24 hours in a day to fill...

Post count is meaningless. It's what you say that really counts :-)

Rob


Hats off to you sir... I need some coaching here from you on how to manage: work, family, movie, reelviews, sports, books, newspapers, household, children's hobbies (soccer dad's?), grocery shopping, other online social networking sites, browsing internet (other than reelviews).... i guess you got the point :-)


Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:22 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr