Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:29 am

Video that sums up 2008.... 
Post Video that sums up 2008....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DNI94BXMj4

This has to be the best movie-related video on youtube. This guy Matt Shapiro has a future in the movie business. I watch this thing every morning and feel great the rest of the day.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:32 pm
Post Re: Video that sums up 2008....
Shelobfan wrote:

This has to be the best movie-related video on youtube. This guy Matt Shapiro has a future in the movie business. I watch this thing every morning and feel great the rest of the day.

Thanks Shelobfan

Wow - this made me quite emotional. It's simply amazing. If the Academy awards had any sense they would get Huge Action to cut short his intro and play this video. It just captures why we love movies.

By the way, my friend in the Uk has been raving about this piece of music for what seems like ages.

Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:28 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
By the way, my friend in the Uk has been raving about this piece of music for what seems like ages.

Rob

Sigur Ros, great band.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:52 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Shelobfan wrote:

Thanks Shelobfan

Wow - this made me quite emotional. It's simply amazing. If the Academy awards had any sense they would get Huge Action to cut short his intro and play this video. It just captures why we love movies.

Rob

I agree. Isn't it a specific person who edits the film clips for the Oscars though. I know Sid Gannis mentioned him one time, but I forgot his name. Whoever he is, he has really disappointed me lately, and a switch is in order.

I think this video is perfect for the show except it has a lot of films that have not been nominated for anything: Narnia, Che, Harold and Kumar, Eagle Eye, Pinapple Express, Cloverfield, etc. and Mr. Gannis will probably want a video centered on the nominated films.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:43 pm
"This video is not available in your country."

can't believe it... T_T

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:46 pm
What the F*ck guys? It's a montage of good movies this year, so what? You wake up every morning to watch it? It's a decent montage, but not even a great one. It's repetitive and too long.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:04 pm
MGamesCook wrote:
What the F*ck guys? It's a montage of good movies this year, so what? You wake up every morning to watch it? It's a decent montage, but not even a great one. It's repetitive and too long.

agreed.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:31 pm
MGamesCook wrote:

I don't know. As a fan of montages (I feel nostalgic when I look back on great scenes from films I've seen) I think this one is about as good as it gets. Much better than those 'professional' montages you see at Awards shows.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 pm
I agree with Shelbofan; it's well-edited with a great song choice, and it's at least at the quality of an Awards show montage.

Hoppipolla is probably my new favorite song. I hope Sigur Ros doesn't get too popular; not because of this video, but due to its growing popularity in general (Slumdog Millionaire trailer, anyone?). It's kind of like how M.I.A. got bigger after Paper Planes was used in the Pineapple Express trailer.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:26 pm
I think its tough to give so much credit (best?) to one film-related video on youtube as there are so many other clips out there. However, I do agree that it was well put together and nicely highlights many of the best moments in film this year.

I'm jealous that watching something like this does it for you for the rest of the day though. =)

you might like this too: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:53 pm
I have two favorite parts of that video: when they use the clip from 300 and when they cut from Braveheart to Independence Day. Good laughs.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:15 pm
Trevor wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

agreed.

It's only human nature when someone says that something is exemplary. that some people will try in earnest to discredit it. This part of humanity irritates me.

I think that the video itself has an amazing arc emotionally, and the timing that is used on almost every frame is transcendent. This man understands the undertow of human emotion (which even technical skill can not always guarantee). The Academy Awards would save themselves a headache by hiring him to sort out thier usually dull montages.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:32 pm
Pedro wrote:
I hope Sigur Ros doesn't get too popular; not because of this video, but due to its growing popularity in general

hear, hear.

saw a bbc production on them, cant remember the name, anyway, watching their interview. you just get that feeling they're not the kind of guys who would look for popularity(sell out).

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:46 pm
nice editing. should have used the flamenco scene(the fierce look) from happy-go-lucky. song made it all it was though.
and making something like this, sigur ros is like the staple, so no real genius there.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:54 pm
Did any of the Oscar montages even remotely compare to this?

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:41 am
Vic wrote:
Did any of the Oscar montages even remotely compare to this?

:lol: true. well, they went for genre-wise montages. idiotic choice. its a montage, the point is to use different things.

plus, they had coldplay, this guy used sigur ros. you could just show me sitting on a chair, and the sigur ros one will win.

credit to him though, he showed the tank demolition in iron man clearly, he highlighted it. they put stuff in between it.

you're right - this guy wins. nay, he owned their asses.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:22 am
Just watched again.

The oscar montages showcased the FILMS (action, romance, etc)
This video showcased the ACTORS, whose performances are the reason why we're in love with these films, so simply due to this emphasis it's way more effective.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:43 pm
euphoric_daedalus wrote:
Just watched again.

The oscar montages showcased the FILMS (action, romance, etc)
This video showcased the ACTORS, whose performances are the reason why we're in love with these films, so simply due to this emphasis it's way more effective.

I think you hit it right on the head. The faces are the things that communicate most strongly to the viewer, and this clip takes advantage of that.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:39 am
Shelobfan wrote:
I agree. Isn't it a specific person who edits the film clips for the Oscars though. I know Sid Gannis mentioned him one time, but I forgot his name. Whoever he is, he has really disappointed me lately, and a switch is in order.

Chuck Workman.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:47 am