Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:53 am

Best Concert You've Ever Seen 
Post Re: Best Concert You've Ever Seen
Most of my favorite concert experiences have been at festivals.
Some of the best occurring at last year's Capitol Hill Block Party:
The Hold Steady (who I love, but loved even more afterwards)
and Devotchka (who I never liked that much, but they have a fantastic live show)

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:24 pm
Trevor-couldn't agree more about The Hold Steady

They are a great high energy show. Saw them this winter and walked away a much bigger fan

Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:58 pm
I'm not really into the big stadium/arena gigs but of the ones I've seen Prince was easily the best. Just an incredible performer and probably the best guitarist I've seen.

Of the smaller gigs, !!! are pretty much unbeatable. No other band I've seen got people dancing like them. Other than them The Wrens and Gang Gang Dance have been terrific.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:48 am
One of the best concerts I've seen was David Bowie opening his European tour for either Outside or Earthling in a relatively small club (1.000 people fit in or so). He played his new stuff as well as a lot of old classics with a stripped down band. And at the time (mid 90ies) it only cost something like $ 25! (The concert was announced only a few days before so you had to be really quick to get a ticket.)

Also excellent: Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros at T in the Park festival in Scotland. The former Clash frontman must have been the most accessible star ever. Throughout the gig, he would ask the audience what kinds of songs they would like to hear and the band played them (mostly old The Clash songs). And when they were finished, he joined the audience for a few beers!

Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:03 am
Folk musicians often do concerts in people's houses as parts of their tours if they have a free day. My girlfriend and i are regulars at this scene in Berkeley.

You'll get about 30 people in an audience and a totally acoustic set that creates an very intimate atmosphere. Very different to what has been talked baour most of the time

Stacey Earle and Mark Stuart are great in this environment. They are into 'real' sound. One of the coolest things they do is play their guitar right next to you and then walk around the room and then mic it up to show how sounds change

Rob

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:30 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Folk musicians often do concerts in people's houses as parts of their tours if they have a free day. My girlfriend and i are regulars at this scene in Berkeley.

You'll get about 30 people in an audience and a totally acoustic set that creates an very intimate atmosphere. Very different to what has been talked baour most of the time

Stacey Earle and Mark Stuart are great in this environment. They are into 'real' sound. One of the coolest things they do is play their guitar right next to you and then walk around the room and then mic it up to show how sounds change

Rob

I run a monthly folk/acoustic night and we've had some amazing performances from bands. Most notably from 'Sons of Noel & Adrian'. They're a 12 piece prog-folk band based in Brighton, UK and I highly recommend them.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:57 pm
this year I've been to two concerts so far:

Roger Hodgson - amazing, the guy's a genius and seems to be a pretty good person too. really loving, said he loved Peru and want to Machu Picchu and that we have "beautiful county." a guy in the audience responded to that by saying he wanted to make love to him that night... o_O

Iron Maiden - loud, frenetic and really exciting. I got robbed, though... (my wallet and my camera.)

last year I went to see REM, but I'm suspecting they best concert is going to be Oasis. they're coming to Peru later this month, and my girlfriend and me already have tickets.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:32 pm
Sebastian wrote:
this year I've been to two concerts so far:

Roger Hodgson - amazing, the guy's a genius and seems to be a pretty good person too. really loving, said he loved Peru and want to Machu Picchu and that we have "beautiful county." a guy in the audience responded to that by saying he wanted to make love to him that night... o_O

Iron Maiden - loud, frenetic and really exciting. I got robbed, though... (my wallet and my camera.)

last year I went to see REM, but I'm suspecting they best concert is going to be Oasis. they're coming to Peru later this month, and my girlfriend and me already have tickets.

Good Luck with Oasis! They are either awesome or terrible. I have seen them four times and they have one of my top ten shows all time, and my second worst. I'm a big fan of theirs and saw them most recently in December and they definitely redeemed themselves from the last time I saw them so I'm hoping you get to see a similar show.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:23 pm
Testament. I drank with the band afterwards.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:09 am
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

I just saw them for the 7th time and I cannot say anything but great things. They are in their 60s and play for 3hrs at a great pace. If you like rock in any form, they are worth seeing. Just one of the all time great shows. They have even begun to really let loose in the past few years, introducing a set in the middle of the show where they pull signs from the audience and play the requests. This has led to many fun moments, including tonight's cover of The Clash's London Calling. Great stuff.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:36 am
TV on the Radio at an outdoor bar/grill kinda place near Philly last year. That whole day was just an all-time great for me, but I can't even tell you how amazing the TV on the Radio show was. I'd say everyone should see them in person at least once as they're one of those rare acts that are maybe better experienced live than not

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:23 pm
Hmmmm. Most of my best concert experiences are way behind me . . . here are a few that stick out in my memory, though.

Eric Clapton in the late '80's with Mark Knopfler onstage with him at the Tacoma Dome. They played off each other really well, and it gave me a lot of respect for Knopfler, 'cause he pretty much stayed out of the spotlight. Incredible show.

The Cowboy Junkies at the Moore Theater in Seattle in '88, I think.

Guy Clark in Austin back in the 90's.

Soundgarden back in the very early days playing the Central Tavern in Pioneer Square in Seattle. I actually went to see the Screaming Trees because I knew a guy who knew a guy . . . but Soundgarden blew me away.

Morphine at the Pier in Seattle in '97, I think.

Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt in Austin, '99

Oysterhead back in '01. I'm not a Phish fan, and Les Claypool can grate, but I just wanted to see Stewart Copeland play (I never figured the Police would get back together). This was so good, I actually drove down to see them in Salem a few days later.

McCoy Tyner several times at Dimitriou's Jazz Alley. That dude always puts on a show.

Lastly, it wasn't the best show I ever saw, but I did have the good fortune to see Dizzy Gillespie near the end of his life. He couldn't play like he used to, but he could still play pretty good. It was a privilege just to be there.

Last edited by Tuco on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:18 pm
bob harris wrote:
The Foo Fighters are great live. I've seen then twice but not in years. I loved both shows. The Hip are great live too, you'll love them.

Agreed on both counts.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:25 pm
Director

I have the DVD of Rage Against the Machine's "Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium".

Has to be one of the best concerts ever caught on tape, de la Rocha is insane with energy in it, and the band sounds amazing live. Zack mixes it up by inserting political dialogue here and there between songs, and then Cypress Hill joins them for the cover of "How I Could Just Kill a Man". Probably the most energetic, intense, and serious band I've ever come across and ones that definitely know how to put on a show. Reason why they're my favorite band.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Tuco wrote:
Hmmmm. Most of my best concert experiences are way behind me . . . here are a few that stick out in my memory, though.

Eric Clapton in the late '80's with Mark Knopfler onstage with him at the Tacoma Dome. They played off each other really well, and it gave me a lot of respect for Knopfler, 'cause he pretty much stayed out of the spotlight. Incredible show.

The Cowboy Junkies at the Moore Theater in Seattle in '88, I think.

Guy Clark in Austin back in the 90's.

Soundgarden back in the very early days playing the Central Tavern in Pioneer Square in Seattle. I actually went to see the Screaming Trees because I knew a guy who knew a guy . . . but Soundgarden blew me away.

Morphine at the Pier in Seattle in '97, I think.

Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt in Austin, '99

Oysterhead back in '01. I'm not a Phish fan, and Les Claypool can grate, but I just wanted to see Stewart Copeland play (I never figured the Police would get back together). This was so good, I actually drove down to see them in Salem a few days later.

McCoy Tyner several times at Dimitriou's Jazz Alley. That dude always puts on a show.

Lastly, it wasn't the best show I ever saw, but I did have the good fortune to see Dizzy Gillespie near the end of his life. He couldn't play like he used to, but he could still play pretty good. It was a privilege just to be there.

Holy shi+, man! Impressive list. Clapton/Knopfler must have been wonderful. And Dizzy Gillespie! I'm jealous.

Where in Austin did you see Emmylou/Linda Ronstadt?

My favorites:

- Black Crowes/Lenny Kravitz
- Skid Row/Guns 'n Roses
- Faith No More/Metallica/Guns 'n Roses
- G Love/Widespread Panic
- Fishbone
- Son Volt
- Todd/Snider/Robert Earl Keen
- Lyle Lovett
- Doyle Bramhall
- Lynyrd Skynyrd

Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:35 pm
I've seen Iron Maiden twice, in Argentina and Peru, and they were amazing both times. They put on a hell of a live show. Even if the crowd in Argentina moshed for five hours straight and I seriously thought I was going to get trampled at some point, it was still awesome.

I haven't seen that many concerts though... aside from Maiden, just Megadeth and Dream Theater, where the whole crowd just stood motionless admiring these guys.

Still have to see AC/DC live though... hopefully now that I've moved to Australia I'll get to see them soon.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:34 am
Mute Math at Bonnaroo 2006

Andrew Bird-Bonnaroo 2006

Radiohead-Bonnaroo 2006

I second Anathallo

The Swell Season-Bonnaroo 2008(Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from the film Once)

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:12 pm
Had to have been my first concert...

My buddies took me to watch Coal Chamber back in 98. Tiny club called the Troubadour in West Hollywood, California. Sweated my ass off, got to sing "Big Truck" on the mike, caught Bug's drumstick...

It was an excellent baptism to concerts...

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:34 pm