Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:51 am

Best Concert You've Ever Seen 
Post Best Concert You've Ever Seen
In honor of a great concert I saw last night(Gaslight Anthem) and the upcoming tour from the greatest live band on the planet(Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band), what are the best live shows you have seen?

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:26 pm
Post Re: Best Concert You've Ever Seen
Ya, Springsteen would be an awesome concert to see. I also really want to see the Elton John/Billy Joel show; but I can't imagine a concert ever topping the Led Zeppelin reunion in london. Even though I wasn't there, I saw it in my mind and I know nothing will ever top it!!

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:20 pm
I can only imagine the Led Zep reunion. I saw Page/Plant over ten years ago when they were touring and that was awesome. I'm seeing Bruce late in April and have tickets to see Billy Joel and Elton John. Looking forward to both!

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:27 pm
I haven't been to too many concerts, but out of them I'd say The Mars Volta was the best. They're not exactly my favourite band, but their live show was incredible.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:58 pm
Saw Spiritualized at a run-down vomit depository in East St. Louis when I first moved to the area. I'm no fanatic admirer of the band but they were impressive: 2 full hours, not one word spoken to the audience, and each song they played sounded completely different than the studio versions. They had enough energy to power the strip club next door.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:53 pm
The Foo Fighters last year. One of the best bands in the world put on a high energy show. I was blown away by how good Dave Grohl is on stage. Nothing has beat it yet, though Sam Roberts came very close. So far this year I'm really looking forward to The Offspring(about time they started a tour) and The Tragically Hip. If anyone is going to challenge the Foos, it'll be The Hip.

Ever since I heard the Gaslight Anthem a few months ago, I've been saying their going to be the breakout band of 2008. Great first single, great album.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:28 am
My Morning Jacket puts on a helluva live show and they're always looking to please the fans. I've also seen a lot of great shows by The Black Crowes - a really underrated band.

I'm also kind of a Deadhead, so anything in that realm these days (e.g. The Dead, Phil Lesh, Ratdog, Dark Star Orchestra) is always a heaven-on-earth for me.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:22 am
Cinematographer

rgill79 wrote:
The Foo Fighters last year. One of the best bands in the world put on a high energy show. I was blown away by how good Dave Grohl is on stage. Nothing has beat it yet, though Sam Roberts came very close.

YES. I have seen them twice, and this last time was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Serj Tankian opened for them, which was a treat in itself. My one complaint was that because it was in such a large arena, there was better security and therefore no thrashing. Darn... even the guy on the radio that I listen to said it was the best show he had ever been to. Now that was surprising.

I must say though, Incubus does do one hell of a live show. Brandon Boyd drinking a glass of wine while the audience thrashes out to "Kiss to Send Us Off" in an outside amphatheater, topless women telling me to stop jumping because I would spill her beer, stoned girls trying to call off the mosh because they dropped their weed, trails of blood leading up the steps... good fun...

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:54 am
Anathallo.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:21 am
rgill79 wrote:
The Foo Fighters last year. One of the best bands in the world put on a high energy show. I was blown away by how good Dave Grohl is on stage. Nothing has beat it yet, though Sam Roberts came very close. So far this year I'm really looking forward to The Offspring(about time they started a tour) and The Tragically Hip. If anyone is going to challenge the Foos, it'll be The Hip.

Ever since I heard the Gaslight Anthem a few months ago, I've been saying their going to be the breakout band of 2008. Great first single, great album.

The Foo Fighters are great live. I've seen then twice but not in years. I loved both shows. The Hip are great live too, you'll love them.

Gaslight blew the place out. Enough to make me commit to seeing them again in May in their backyard...Asbury Park, NJ

Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:33 pm
The show was held at a shitty outdoor venue but the best show I ever attended was Iron Maiden with Dio and Motorhead as the opening acts. I was sick as a dog and had to sit down the entire show but the show was still kick ass.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:55 pm
The best concert I have seen was Mike Oldfield playing the premiere of Tubular Bells II at Edinburgh Castle in 1992. After the final note was played, the whole audience stood up and cheered in a spontaneous standing ovation the likes of which I have never experience before or since. It was followed by the best fireworks display I have ever seen.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:14 pm
Brand New
Manchester Orchestra
Kevin Devine and the God Damn Band

I live in St. Louis and drove to Kansas City for the show. The great weather complimented by the commrades and the bbq in KC (epic) was phenominal and the climax was the show which did not let anyone down. The drive home felt like a coca-cola commercial. Just an overall amazing experience.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:44 am
Iron Maiden last year.

And Dream Theater a few years ago.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 am
Nine Inch Nails...on the Fragility Tour 10 years or so ago...was the best concert and my first concert ever so that's probably part of the reason for that.

The worst concert i've ever seen: Nine Inch Nails a couple years ago lol...

I've been to a bunch of Tom Petty shows and he is consistently awesome. In agreement about the Foo Fighters too, they are fan-freaken-tastic in concert. Beck was awesome too on the Midnight Vultures tour a while back. Linkin Park puts on one helluva show too, but never comes anywhere near me when they are on tour for whatever reason...BB King was still in top form a few years back when I saw him too, Johnny Lang was impressive to see as well around the same time.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:23 am
I just saw a guy named Josh Ritter the other night in a small 300 person venue. If you haven't heard of him I'm not surprised and I'm sure his style of music isn't for many. He is a small singer songwriter(sometimes solo acoustic, sometimes backed by a full band) in the style of early Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, etc. If you're a fan of that style of music, check him out. I've seen him five times live in the past four years and I haven't been let down yet.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 am
Kiss in full makeup mode in the 1980's.
Not the greatest musicians - but sensational show men.
Simply electric atmosphere and Gene spewing blood is a sight to behold!
Rob

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:22 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Were they supporting the Unmasked album?

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:55 pm
1. AC/DC at the Tacoma Dome in 1995
2. Queensryche/Dream Theater co-headlining show at the Spokane Opera House in 2003
3. Otep at the Spokane Knitting Factory in 2008
4. Pantera/White Zombie co-headlining show at the Gorge Amphitheatre in 1996
5. Queensryche at the Spokane Knitting Factory in 2006

Honorable mention: Rush at the Gorge Amphitheatre in 1997

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:57 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Were they supporting the Unmasked album?

Very funny - they basically ran through a series of tracks from Kiss Alive 1 & 2
The stage show was simply awesome.
$20 very well spent!
Rob

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:26 pm