Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:54 pm

This American Life (Radio Program) 
Post This American Life (Radio Program)
It had been a few years since I'd listened to more than 10-15 minutes of the show but after randomly listening to episode 286 (Mind Games - link includes full episode) it's clear that I've been missing out.

It's the best episode of the show I've heard - particularly the centerpiece on Improv Everywhere - and I have some faith that other visitors to the forum have heard some shows and can recommend a few off the tops of their heads.

If you haven't heard it then by all means check it out. It's part documentary, part fiction, sometimes humorous, sometimes profoundly disturbing, and quite possibly the most engaging hour of radio I've come across.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:17 am
Post Re: This American Life (Radio Program)
I absolutely love This American Life. I discovered the radio program after watching the first season of the television show on Showtime. I don't know if you have heard the episode "First Day" stories about peoples first day at their jobs, and the one notable one is the police officer, what happens on his first day is... unexpected and so very funny.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 pm
Arsenal84 wrote:
I absolutely love This American Life. I discovered the radio program after watching the first season of the television show on Showtime. I don't know if you have heard the episode "First Day" stories about peoples first day at their jobs, and the one notable one is the police officer, what happens on his first day is... unexpected and so very funny.

Squirrel Cop. Hilarious!

Good recommendation. The fellow who talks during the cold opening is Jack Hitt and it's weird to hear him speak of something with any humor; he wrote for Harper's for a long time and his pieces were always semi-hopeless.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:50 pm
I too adore the show. I'd have to look back through to pick some definite favorites, but I'll give it some consideration.

For fans of TAL, I highly recommend Radio Lab (http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/). It may have surpassed TAL as my favorite radio show, with Car Talk coming in a close third, but that could easily change.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:37 pm
A.M. wrote:

For fans of TAL, I highly recommend Radio Lab (http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/).

This was a great, great, great recommendation. I was sold immediately; it's every bit as interesting as Oliver Sacks' books and as easily entertaining as TAL. The hosts bring all kinds of great energy, passion, and curiosity to the show -- infectious!

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:28 am