Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 am

Rafael Nadal does my fucking head in... 
Second Unit Director

Post Rafael Nadal does my fucking head in...
It's 5.00am in Aus with an 8.30 start and I'm fuming. How he can lose to that Aussie teenage annoying cunt pisses me right off. As in no sleep and get to work and put on an act all day furious shit. I need to fuck my girlfriend more. I need her to not half barrack for that Aussie pissant before she goes to bed. Wimbledon is fucked now. Roger v Murray or Djokovic in the final with either of the lattter beating Federer in 3, perhaps 4.

I'm going to keep this TENNIS thread going for a while... You all need to know why I love Rafa like a first born son AND why you should too.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:07 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Rafael Nadal does my fucking head in...
wisey wrote:
You all need to know why I love Rafa like a first born son AND why you should too.

Since, I'd rather watch baseball than tennis and would rather have my balls pierced with acid-tipped needles than do either, I'm going to just say "No.".

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:23 pm
Director

LOLz. Well Nadal is 28 (pretty close to twilight years by tennis standards), and his violent style of play was bound to catch up with him sooner or later. I didn't watch, but I'm just looking at the stats: 37 aces!? Damn.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:52 pm
Producer

It's a bit of a shocking result, but although I'm not a huge tennis fan, I used to feel that Nadal's intensely physical style of play (and as far as I can see, no big serve and volley game) would give him a shorter prime than some.

Fed can drag his career out because he's not overly dependent on raw physical attributes. Sampras could drag his career out because his serve and volley game could kill opponents off quickly. Nadal's like a boxer whose had too many protracted wars. Winning matches through winning rallies. Great to watch, fucking havoc on your body.

I'll always be grateful to Nadal and Fed for giving us those unbelievable finals in the past.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:30 am
Second Unit Director

wisey wrote:
It's 5.00am in Aus with an 8.30 start and I'm fuming. How he can lose to that Aussie teenage annoying cunt pisses me right off. As in no sleep and get to work and put on an act all day furious shit. I need to fuck my girlfriend more. I need her to not half barrack for that Aussie pissant before she goes to bed. Wimbledon is fucked now. Roger v Murray or Djokovic in the final with either of the lattter beating Federer in 3, perhaps 4.

I'm going to keep this TENNIS thread going for a while... You all need to know why I love Rafa like a first born son AND why you should too.

That's a tad embarrassing to read again. Been bombarded with Nick Kygrios all day today, every interview he's done has been played 20 or 30 times on radio and television and he seems like a humble, well grounded guy for age 19. Much more likeable than Hewitt or “are you for real you little brat” Tomic.

He beat the greatest competitor I've ever seen (in any sport) on tennis's biggest stage, when Rafa was "on" too, so respect needs to be given. Pretty tough having to play the next day after that epic, so I doubt he'll be able to get over Raonic this morning.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 am
Director

Would've bee nice to see Nadal win another Wimbledon, but its better for the game to see some new blood made a move. Its been the Fed, Nadal, Novak, & Murray show for too long, this is a step in the right direction even though a Novak-Fed final seems likely at this point.

And its good to see an Aussie do well at Wimbledon, it just feels "right." The kid seems to be the real deal, he saved NINE match points in his 2nd round match, goes on to beat Nadal and has just won the 1st set vs #8 Raonic. No letdowns after big wins. The big stage seems to suit him. Looking forward to how his game evolves in the next 2 years.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:22 pm
Second Unit Director

What a ripping Wimbledon final that was. For Federer to save those MATCH points in the fourth and then for the Joker to recuperate, and go on and win it in five, it really was another one for the ages.

I'm going to go through a series of reasons why I believe, and just like Royal Tenenbaum, this in only one man's opinion, as to why I think Rafael Nadal is the greatest competitor I've ever seen. For starter's and obviously, just like boxing, there is no place to hide behind your teammates if you're having a shocker, you wear it all.

When Nadal beat Federer here (and the tennis is so good it looks like they're playing fucking table tennis) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnATiDGqkLQ Federer was the Michael Jordon of tennis. He was built to be put onto the court and dominate in a way that nobody ever had. He didn't even have a full time fucking coach at the time, Fed was winning slam after slam that easily. So, to say Federer at 27 years of age was in his prime would be an understatement, the fact is we'd never seen anything like him. He was on 13 slams at the time trying to reach Pete's record of 14, so it'd be stupid not to say that history played a part in the outcome of this final. Rafa at this stage of his career is 22, and had owned Fed at French. He'd beaten Fed after what many tennis lover's rate the best Wimbledon final of all time in 2008. Here though, at the 2009 Australian Open, Nadal showed the world that any "man" can be beaten anywhere. For the record, and to balance out any of the history Federer was wearing on his shoulders, Rafa had played the longest semi final in open history, on the Friday before this epic (Fed had an extra day to recover), and had cramps so bad he couldn't warm up on an outside court before the final. Oh, what adrenalin can do? Federer has never beaten Nadal in a major since 2008. I repeat, the greatest tennis player we'll ever see has never beaten Rafa in a final or any other grand slam match since Wimbledon 2008. This would be Rafa's 6th major and the chase had just started.

Next up.. Rafael Nadal, the most humble champion of all time.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 pm
Producer

I agree on his mettle.

I remember Fed overwhelmingly dominating from 04 onwards. I remember poor Andy Roddick being taken apart 2 Wimbledon finals on the bounce in matches that fuck it - the poor guy KNEW he couldn't possibly win.

And then Nadal was next up, if memory serves (pun intended), Nadal was also beaten in two finals in a row (06 and 07?). Such was Fed's seemingly effortless dominance, it would have been easy for Nadal to die a quiet death, on grass anyway, but he came back and won probably the best match I've ever seen in 2008. I remember me and the missus were up watching that at something like 9pm. It was unbelievable. I'm a bit-part, fairweather tennis fan, but that match was mind-blowing.

Nadal's one-on-one record against Fed is superb (23-10), and although obviously skewed by his victories on his pet surface of clay, it's a nice anecdote to tell the grandkids in a few decades.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:14 am