Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:21 am

Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love? 
Second Unit Director

Post Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
This is my favorite thread. You have pretty much everyone being themselves, and a topic I spoke about for a long time to friends and people who would engage the thought.

http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/vie ... +a+classic

Wed May 28, 2014 9:54 pm
Critic

Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
wisey wrote:
This is my favorite thread. You have pretty much everyone being themselves, and a topic I spoke about for a long time to friends and people who would engage the thought.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2330&hilit=when+can+we+call+a+film+a+classic

Ahhhh it's not dying. It's just always going to be slower than it used to be. Though with JB kinda going through the motions these days (guilty admission: I no longer read his reviews) we're unlikely to get as much new traffic as we used to be able to count on. But good thread, that one. I see you and I were scrapping at each other even then!

Also, fun fact, I mentioned that the forum was dying in that thread. That was, what, 4 years ago?

Wed May 28, 2014 10:58 pm
Producer

wisey wrote:

http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/vie ... +a+classic

I tell you, the forum is simply shifting its orbit.

Wed May 28, 2014 11:39 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
wisey wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2330&hilit=when+can+we+call+a+film+a+classic

Ahhhh it's not dying. It's just always going to be slower than it used to be. Though with JB kinda going through the motions these days (guilty admission: I no longer read his reviews) we're unlikely to get as much new traffic as we used to be able to count on. But good thread, that one. I see you and I were scrapping at each other even then!

Also, fun fact, I mentioned that the forum was dying in that thread. That was, what, 4 years ago?

Yeah it's a funny read, especially how darn tootin I was on Inglorious Basterds being a classic and you calling me on it. In truth, although I'm still confident I saw a classic film the day Inglorious Basterds was released, I'd probably now think a period of time needs to elapse before I would call something a classic today. Actually fuck that, the moment I walked out of the cinema after viewing The Wolf of Wall Street, I knew I'd seen something special. Six months down the track I'm sure that film is destined for classic status. ;) Seriously, I probably had it wrong back then.

Is that a fact, (in bold above) or is it harder for him to write as enthusiastically after twenty years? Probably both? His mind feels like it's been on the books he's been writing for the past five years, but why carp when someone has provided so much free excellence of film knowledge for nearly twenty years. When this forum started, I felt like I was going to some kind of film school, my knowledge on film blossomed so much from visiting it each day. I remember not leaving work sometimes til after 7pm reading a thread like this viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2065&hilit=the+white+ribbon I went to watch this film a second time because of this thread, now rate it as one of the finest films I've ever seen, and look forward to each Haneke event months in advance.

I don't read many of James' B reviews anymore either, apart from his end year ten film list. It'd be nice if he did more reelthoughts on older films and Director's, but he isn't Roger Ebert, so it's not like he can devote his full attention to this site whilst working forty hours a week and dedicating so much free time to being the next George R.R Martin. It shows the passion he still must have for this site really, I'm pretty sure he would know what to expect going in to watch fucking Godzilla.

Thu May 29, 2014 2:13 am
Producer

It would be awesome if JB found the time to post on the forum.

Forget reviewing half the fodder out there, slinging mud with us lot is far more stimulating

Thu May 29, 2014 5:39 am
Second Unit Director

My own admission: I regret ever making the Guess that Film thread. It lasted too long with too little impact; and as much as I'd love to forever take credit for making a thread that lasted the better part of 700 pages long, I couldn't help but give up on it before further lamenting its seemingly perpetual lasting place on my "view new threads" tab. I'm glad a good number of you enjoyed it, but I'm more glad it finally seems finished.

In my opinion, if the forum was dying it would be dead already. I'll forever miss the glory days. I still wish I knew where I could find Rob or that I could shit all over how ever many pages of the Last Viewed thread my debate with Zeppelin about In the Realm of the Senses lasted (Zep, my spirit animal, please come back to me; even if just for long enough to find out where you currently post your beautifully formed thoughts, arguments and opinions. Truly my favorite interaction on this site, to this day). This may not be the same site I fell in love with at around thirteen/fourteen, and jesus christ that seems so long ago even though I'm still only fucking twenty now, but the fact of the matter is I never truly left, I've always stopped back in if only to read and check what's going on. I've never found another forum where I've felt this open or interested or actually respected the opinions of those who posted and I still do. If this place was truly dead I'd be gone gone, but as long as we have our Patrick's and Kunz's and Pete's and Pedro's (sorry for not voting this last season, truly, I just didn't feel I'd seen enough to vote thoroughly enough to my liking; pitfalls of dedicating 2.5 years to a job you despise than finally, seriously enrolling in school) I will find my way back to one of my original passions: discussing film with people who care as much and take it as seriously as I ever have. That's you guys. You're the people I do that with. And I will do so until this site is formally shut down. If I have my way I'll keep your contacts if I find that day has arrived as make my own shitty forum so long as you all are there.

*edit* so that thread is still kicking (and gasping), my feelings on it still stand.

Fri May 30, 2014 1:34 am
Cinematographer

I've always been partial to this thread on Breathless from the Great Movies section. It's kind of the glory days of the forum in a nutshell - intelligent, friendly debate that evolves (or devolves) into hilariously odd conversations full of jokes (some of them inside jokes that I barely even remember...that's sad) that also manage to be a little insightful. It's great stuff and it makes me miss those guys who are no longer around.

Fri May 30, 2014 10:01 am
Auteur

I don't think this forum is dying at all, there's certainly a few individuals I miss like Blace, Corpen, Rob Holloway and Ed Metal Head, but I don't think this place is going anywhere anytime soon.

Fri May 30, 2014 12:48 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
I've always been partial to this thread on Breathless from the Great Movies section. It's kind of the glory days of the forum in a nutshell - intelligent, friendly debate that evolves (or devolves) into hilariously odd conversations full of jokes (some of them inside jokes that I barely even remember...that's sad) that also manage to be a little insightful. It's great stuff and it makes me miss those guys who are no longer around.

Yeah that's a great thread man. You and me going toe to toe and then dissolving into a pool of wub

Fri May 30, 2014 6:03 pm
Producer

... next week, on The Bold and the Beautiful

Fri May 30, 2014 6:22 pm
Cinematographer

My theory is that the forum only seems to be slow (not dying) because of the fact that Hollywood seems bent on shoving more crappy remakes/sequels/reboots down our collective throat on the big screen. I think that the best writing and creative talent in Hollywood is working in the realm of television right now, as there are plenty of good shows out there even if you don't count HBO and its line-up. Could this be a lingering aftereffect of the Writers' Guild strike of 2007-08? Perhaps...

In any case, more crap on the big screen has in my mind translated to less traffic in this forum. I haven't post nearly as much here as I have in previous years because I think that 2013 and 2014 have just seen the public buried in the sewage that they are still willing to shell out money to see.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:34 am
Critic

RAGNA!

Remember this one from 4 years back?

http://www.reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2243

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:33 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:

Our relationship on this forum got off to such a wonderful start, didn't it? Good times, good times. As I recall, there was quite an audience for that thread- it's been a long while since I've gotten into any arguments with anyone regarding film. I just can't be arsed to bother as long as there isn't anything that I have an interest in seeing in a movie theater.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:59 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
My theory is that the forum only seems to be slow (not dying) because of the fact that Hollywood seems bent on shoving more crappy remakes/sequels/reboots down our collective throat on the big screen. I think that the best writing and creative talent in Hollywood is working in the realm of television right now, as there are plenty of good shows out there even if you don't count HBO and its line-up. Could this be a lingering aftereffect of the Writers' Guild strike of 2007-08? Perhaps...

In any case, more crap on the big screen has in my mind translated to less traffic in this forum. I haven't post nearly as much here as I have in previous years because I think that 2013 and 2014 have just seen the public buried in the sewage that they are still willing to shell out money to see.

You know, I'm inclined to agree with this. Simply put, I have no real interest in seeing or really discussing the latest installment of Superman, Spider-man, the Avengers, Thor, etc. It's been done. Give me something different. The last time I saw a movie in the theater was either late March or early April, when I saw Bad Words. It doesn't help that I live in a relatively rural area that doesn't get many niche films. So it's been a slow period for me; I've watched some movies, but they've all been on Netflix. However, if one should come around that I love, I'll be here singing its praises.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:15 pm
Producer

Yeah, it's telling that even though we're getting the usual bukkake of expensive superhero actioners, the only summer movie I'm excited for is about teenage cancer patients.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:36 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Yeah, it's telling that even though we're getting the usual bukkake of expensive superhero actioners, the only summer movie I'm excited for is about teenage cancer patients.

Oh come on... How to Train Your Dragon 2

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:37 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:

It's sad when the one film a guy has to look forward to is a sequel to a good one. :(

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:21 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Reading the first few posts I was thinking:

Kunzie and Ragna, Hell in a Cell at Wrestlemania. With Patrick as Guest Referee cause I actually did mod things in those days.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:29 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:

Hm. I guess I'm still kind of glad I saw the first one. It had Scottish voices. Scottish voices are cool.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:36 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Hm. I guess I'm still kind of glad I saw the first one. It had Scottish voices. Scottish voices are cool.

John Powell's stirring score!

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:38 pm