Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:57 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love? 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6500
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
MGamesCook wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
The other perspective is to think Skyfall is better than Casino Royale and that Royale is a tad overrated. In purely visual terms, I can't find much fault with Skyfall. It also feels like the first Bond movie that hasn't been largely dominated by second unit photography.


Naw man, Casino Royale had a heart that no other Bond film can match, with the possible exception of OHMSS.


More and more I wonder if Majesty is a bit overhyped. It's one of the best for sure, but certainly not THE best. The fact is, Lazenby is a weakness that just can't be ignored. His performance simply doesn't ground the movie as much as it should. There's times when it plays as simply a theoretical representation of the best Bond movie because of that. There's a great film in there, but sometimes it's a little hard to reach.

For me, Skyfall's heart is as big as Casino Royale's, if not bigger. Casino definitely has a larger scope in terms of its own story, but I thought the final 30 minutes of Skyfall were extremely emotionally effective, and I think the visuals are more evocative. The emotion of skyfall is a metaphor for the old, fragile state of the franchise. I found that pretty damn moving.


Well let's throw down a bit before talking more. Give me your top 3, 5, 7 -- whatever -- give me your Top Tier Bond films. Within the tier they don't have to be in order. But what makes the pantheon for you?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:30 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 365
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
The more I think about it, the more I think that Skyfall's heart is bigger. I just think that the relationship between Bond and M is built on a stronger foundation than Bond falling for a girl. That being said, Casino Royale's finale is more dramatic.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
M's death was anti-climactic. So even though she's a greater loss to bond than Vesper, Vespers death felt like it carried more weight.
Casino Royale is also classy as all fuck. It makes me giddy.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:40 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2026
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
Top Tier is Russia, Goldfinger, Majesty, Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, Licence to Kill, Casino Royale, and Skyfall. And Dr. No and Goldeneye right below all of those. Pretty much the same as what a lot of other people think. All of them have flaws, but all are great nonetheless. Skyfall belongs with the others, for one because it's better than the other Bonds I didn't list just now. The series has a long history. There is still some fun to be had with more middling entries like Diamonds Are Forever, You Only Live Twice, Octopussy, Man with the Golden Gun, Live and Let Die, and maybe even Tomorrow Never Dies to an extent. But Skyfall easily bests them, and I think it's probably also better than the two superior Moores. Skyfall is also really interesting in terms of the current action trends.

I've come to agree with you, Kunz, about Thunderball though. Bottom 5 of the series is about right I'd say. Perhaps still the most overblown of all Bond movies to date. And you can sense the resentment behind this production team in multiple areas, including Connery himself. It's not lifeless, like View to a Kill, but it may very well be soulless.


Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:17 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
The top tier for me are Russia, Goldfinger, Skyfall

Casino Royale is also up there and is basically a top, top film. But still half a notch below the above 3.

Although, it's hard to criticise Casino Royale in a vacuum, because it had the unenviable task of bringing the franchise back to life and as part of that seem to surrender the Bond gimmicks of the past. However, in doing so they sacrificed a bit of Bond's culture with it. Quantum is a decent and well made Bond film, and Skyfall really picks Bond back up for the Craig era.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:07 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6500
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
NotHughGrant wrote:
The top tier for me are Russia, Goldfinger, Skyfall

Casino Royale is also up there and is basically a top, top film. But still half a notch below the above 3.

Although, it's hard to criticise Casino Royale in a vacuum, because it had the unenviable task of bringing the franchise back to life and as part of that seem to surrender the Bond gimmicks of the past. However, in doing so they sacrificed a bit of Bond's culture with it. Quantum is a decent and well made Bond film, and Skyfall really picks Bond back up for the Craig era.


Part of my problem with Skyfall (and Quantum) is that they seem to be treading water. Casino Royale rebooted the series, as effectively as any reboot ever has. It was also a quasi origin story, and again as good a one as I've seen. I was ready for new Bond to become Bond...and then it took two more films for it to happen.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:31 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 508
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
My hope is that Bond finally goes toe-to-toe with Quantum as earlier Bond did with Spectre. That is a dangling plot line that needs to be picked up. (I want my underground volcano lair filled with tons of anonymous, jump-suited underlings too, dammit!)


Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:52 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 559
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
Johnny Larue wrote:
My hope is that Bond finally goes toe-to-toe with Quantum as earlier Bond did with Spectre. That is a dangling plot line that needs to be picked up. (I want my underground volcano lair filled with tons of anonymous, jump-suited underlings too, dammit!)

You forgot to mention the sharks with laser guns on their heads, peon.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:23 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2026
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
Johnny Larue wrote:
My hope is that Bond finally goes toe-to-toe with Quantum as earlier Bond did with Spectre. That is a dangling plot line that needs to be picked up. (I want my underground volcano lair filled with tons of anonymous, jump-suited underlings too, dammit!)


That may happen again eventually, but you'll be waiting a while. I expect Bond 24 to stick pretty close to Skyfall. Never know though.


Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:28 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
The top tier for me are Russia, Goldfinger, Skyfall

Casino Royale is also up there and is basically a top, top film. But still half a notch below the above 3.

Although, it's hard to criticise Casino Royale in a vacuum, because it had the unenviable task of bringing the franchise back to life and as part of that seem to surrender the Bond gimmicks of the past. However, in doing so they sacrificed a bit of Bond's culture with it. Quantum is a decent and well made Bond film, and Skyfall really picks Bond back up for the Craig era.


Part of my problem with Skyfall (and Quantum) is that they seem to be treading water. Casino Royale rebooted the series, as effectively as any reboot ever has. It was also a quasi origin story, and again as good a one as I've seen. I was ready for new Bond to become Bond...and then it took two more films for it to happen.


Different people want different things from Bond.

But ... it's probably easier to agree that I'm right ;)

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:40 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
Johnny Larue wrote:
My hope is that Bond finally goes toe-to-toe with Quantum as earlier Bond did with Spectre. That is a dangling plot line that needs to be picked up. (I want my underground volcano lair filled with tons of anonymous, jump-suited underlings too, dammit!)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czWLEbNwjCI

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:42 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6500
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
NotHughGrant wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
The top tier for me are Russia, Goldfinger, Skyfall

Casino Royale is also up there and is basically a top, top film. But still half a notch below the above 3.

Although, it's hard to criticise Casino Royale in a vacuum, because it had the unenviable task of bringing the franchise back to life and as part of that seem to surrender the Bond gimmicks of the past. However, in doing so they sacrificed a bit of Bond's culture with it. Quantum is a decent and well made Bond film, and Skyfall really picks Bond back up for the Craig era.


Part of my problem with Skyfall (and Quantum) is that they seem to be treading water. Casino Royale rebooted the series, as effectively as any reboot ever has. It was also a quasi origin story, and again as good a one as I've seen. I was ready for new Bond to become Bond...and then it took two more films for it to happen.


Different people want different things from Bond.

But ... it's probably easier to agree that I'm right ;)


If you don't want Bond to be Bond as Bond has been Bond, then why do you like Bond? ;)

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:08 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
Because he and I have a Bond.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:30 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1531
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
Quote:
More and more I wonder if Majesty is a bit overhyped. It's one of the best for sure, but certainly not THE best. The fact is, Lazenby is a weakness that just can't be ignored.


seeing this tonight, with a Q&A with Lazenby after. anything I should ask him?


Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:06 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
calvero wrote:
Quote:
More and more I wonder if Majesty is a bit overhyped. It's one of the best for sure, but certainly not THE best. The fact is, Lazenby is a weakness that just can't be ignored.


seeing this tonight, with a Q&A with Lazenby after. anything I should ask him?

What was the one thing more then anything else that ultimately led to him leaving the series?

Also aside from that film, what's his personal favorite movie in his filmography?


Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:37 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2026
Post Re: Now that the forum is dying... any lasting threads you love?
calvero wrote:
Quote:
More and more I wonder if Majesty is a bit overhyped. It's one of the best for sure, but certainly not THE best. The fact is, Lazenby is a weakness that just can't be ignored.


seeing this tonight, with a Q&A with Lazenby after. anything I should ask him?


Wow! Wish I had known about this.


Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:00 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr