Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:41 pm

The best music thread on the forum 
Director

Post Re: The best music thread on the forum
W.M.A. - Pearl Jam

Released in 1993.
From Vs.

I don't intend to just spotlight the hits; "W.M.A." is a lesser-known but really great cut from Pearl Jam's early days, and it displays that even early on, the band was interested in reaching out beyond the roaring guitars of grunge. Ironically, it is on Pearl Jam's heaviest album; Vs. is the same record that contains blasts of rage in "Go," "Blood," and "Leash."

"W.M.A." came about in the middle of the recording sessions for Vs. According to Eddie Vedder's account of events, he witnessed police officers harassing a black man for no reason. Vedder intervened and nearly got himself arrested, and this experience inspired him to write the song's lyrics (W.M.A. is an abbreviation for White Male American). Pearl Jam plays this song in concert on occasion; usually the band inserts it into the improv section at the end of "Daughter."

Listen to "W.M.A.": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z3t32wlItI

Mon May 26, 2014 7:05 pm
Director

L.A. - Butthole Surfers

Released in 1996.
From Electriclarryland

The Butthole Surfers are one of my favorite alt-rock acts of all time. Their music is hard to describe. It doesn't merely bridge genres; with songs such as "I Saw An X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas," "The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave," "Chewin' George Lucas's Chocolate," and "Sweat Loaf," the Buttholes were a genre all to their own. The track featured here is about as close to punk as they ever got, but it's still a head-scratcher. Is it about L.A.? I don't know. What the hell is Gibby Haynes actually singing about? Don't ask me. Electriclarryland is actually pretty accessible for a Buttholes album; this is the one that contains their one crossover hit, "Pepper."

Listen to "L.A.": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auu8n-dVg9g

Tue May 27, 2014 9:20 pm
Director

12XU - Wire

Released in 1977 as Harvest 5144
B-side of "Mannequin." Also released on Pink Flag.

Wire is one of those bands that is called "art-punk," a term I absolutely hate. I think labeling them as such makes it sound like their music is inaccessible and dense, when in reality it isn't. Wire was experimental, but they never lost sight of what made a great rock record. "12XU" is one of many quick, punky blasts on their debut album Pink Flag, which also contains classics such as "Reuters," "Strange," and "Mannequin," the A-side of this song.

A few tidbits: The band originally wrote the song as "1 2 Fuck You," but changed it because it was almost certain to get censored by the BBC. American hardcore band Minor Threat covered this song a few years later, and listening to the two versions is interesting; it's the same song, but a little different too.

Listen to "12XU"...

By Wire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdNS4g8vOnc

By Minor Threat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAMVGvCuV3I

Wed May 28, 2014 9:00 pm
Director

SABBRA CADABRA - Black Sabbath

Released in 1973
From Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Much has been written about Black Sabbath's doom-laden sound, their influence on heavy metal, etc. However, not as much focus has been put on Sabbath's ability to turn on a straight-up blues boogie, which is what "Sabbra Cadabra" is. The album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is also usually noted more for its iconic title track and "Killing Yourself to Live." When you take all this into consideration, it really pleases me that Metallica chose this song for a cover, which can be found on the first disc of Garage Inc. However, it should be noted that Metallica's cut isn't a straight-up cover of this song, but also includes elements of another Sabbath song from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, "A National Acrobat."

Listen to "Sabbra Cadabra"...

By Black Sabbath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmEWTZKDk78

By Metallica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKoaF175QlI

Thu May 29, 2014 8:56 pm
Cinematographer

My thoughts so far:

Several of these I'm fairly certain I've not heard before - mainly due to a dislike for the general categories they fall into. One of those I hadn't heard was a pretty good surprise to me.

Machine Gun - Commodores. I've always been familiar with most of the old Commodores and particularly fond of this piece. Those Soul Train costumes in the linked video are something else though. 9/10.

Nadine - Chuck Berry. A good tune that I think would be even more enjoyable in a party atmosphere. 7/10.

Sabbra Cadabra - Black Sabbath. I've pretty much avoided Black Sabbath feeling their output was more noise than music. This is the first time I've ever heard this track and was actually taken somewhat by it. The sound is reminiscent of some of the classic southern rock that I was raised on and for all I know may have inspired some of it. 7/10.

TNT - ACDC. An old staple and one I enjoy. 7/10.

L.A. - Butthole Surfers - Never heard this before. Some elements I like, nothing particularly moving to me. Better than I thought it would be. I don't drink any more, but I feel this one would be a more enjoyable 7/10 under the influence. 5/10 when I'm listening sober by myself though.

W.M.A. - Pearl Jam - I like some of Pearl Jam's music, but this one is a little too jumbled for me. 4/10.

12XU - Wire. Never heard this before. A short dose of something different. The overwhelming guitar rhythm was pretty catchy for that little while if not a bit too repetitive. 4/10.

Gin and Juice - Snoop Dogg - Some entertainment value, not much musical value for me. 3/10.

HA HA HA - Flipper - My life is none better for hearing this.

Thu May 29, 2014 9:56 pm
Producer

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is my favorite Black Sabbath album. Lots of good stuff on there. The band started very simply, but got more ambitious and experimental throughout the '70s. SBS was probably the point of equilibrium before they started getting too far away from their core sound.

Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 pm
Director

CasualDad wrote:
W.M.A. - Pearl Jam - I like some of Pearl Jam's music, but this one is a little too jumbled for me. 4/10.

"W.M.A." is a grower. When I first heard it, I didn't like it too much. I also thought it was jumbled and not enough like Pearl Jam's signature sound. But over time, that's what made it stand out for me.

Fri May 30, 2014 6:07 am
Cinematographer

I am enjoying listening to sounds that are new to me. I grew up listening to Rock and Pop from the 70's and 80's. Mostly avoided Disco, Rap, Hip Hop, Country, and others. Been stuck in classic Rock stations ever since - not willing to explore.

Fri May 30, 2014 7:28 am
Auteur

One band I would encourage everyone to check out is my all time favorite band- German rock group Bonfire, they had some minor success in the 80s but unfortunately never became a massive on the same level as the Scorpions. They've been around for nearly 20 years now and have been cranking out consistently great hard rock nonstop, no band puts me in a better mood then they do.

Hard to name one particular song as being great, but almost anything off the albums "Don't Touch The Light", "Fireworks", "Point Blank", "Knockout", "Fuel To The Flames", "Strike Ten" and "Double X" is worth listening to.

Fri May 30, 2014 12:59 pm
Director

CasualDad wrote:
I am enjoying listening to sounds that are new to me. I grew up listening to Rock and Pop from the 70's and 80's. Mostly avoided Disco, Rap, Hip Hop, Country, and others. Been stuck in classic Rock stations ever since - not willing to explore.

I'm a guy who believes that good songs can be found in all areas of music. I still like classic rock, even though classic rock radio has become very stale and predictable.

Funny story here: I first got an iPod 10 years ago. Before then, I was content to listen to the radio in the car while driving. So one day, I turn on the classic rock station because there really wasn't anything else on that was good. And for 40 minutes the classic rock station proceeds to play everything that sucked, all in a row. Supertramp, Meat Loaf, Styx, Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Stevie Nicks, Asia, Don McLean, Harry Chapin, stuff by Chicago that wasn't from their first two records...you get the idea. By the end of my drive I was so pissed that I resolved to buy an iPod as soon as I had the money. And I did.

Fri May 30, 2014 5:24 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
CasualDad wrote:

I'm a guy who believes that good songs can be found in all areas of music. I still like classic rock, even though classic rock radio has become very stale and predictable.

Funny story here: I first got an iPod 10 years ago. Before then, I was content to listen to the radio in the car while driving. So one day, I turn on the classic rock station because there really wasn't anything else on that was good. And for 40 minutes the classic rock station proceeds to play everything that sucked, all in a row. Supertramp, Meat Loaf, Styx, Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Stevie Nicks, Asia, Don McLean, Harry Chapin, stuff by Chicago that wasn't from their first two records...you get the idea. By the end of my drive I was so pissed that I resolved to buy an iPod as soon as I had the money. And I did.

Yeah, there's no reason to avoid entire genres, i'll admit as much as I generally dislike country music, there are some artists I enjoy like Carrie Underwood.

I personally like REO, Asia, and Chicago's latter material.

I've currently got a three month free trial for Sirius XM, and i've been using it to listen to stations like Octane, Liquid Metal, Ozzy's Boneyard and Hair Nation.

Fri May 30, 2014 5:42 pm
Director

MACHINEHEAD - Bush

Released in 1994
From Sixteen Stone

Bush has been accused of being a British copy of Nirvana, and there's some validity to that. Their music isn't terribly original; it follows the same soft-loud-soft pattern that the Pixies, Mudhoney and Nirvana had already made their own. However, Bush did have some damned catchy songs on their first album, which prevented their record from being a completely generic copy. Sixteen Stone is a decent album; the band wouldn't reach these heights again (although "Greedy Fly" from their sophomore record Razorblade Suitcase comes close).

Listen to "Machinehead": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1bwzZCik0

Fri May 30, 2014 8:51 pm
Auteur

Forgot to post a link to Bonfire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzv00zvN1MI

Sat May 31, 2014 1:07 am
Director

A1 ON THE JUKEBOX - Dave Edmunds

Released in 1978 as Swan Song 19417
From Tracks on Wax 4

Dave Edmunds is one of my favorite retro rockers. He wasn't the best songwriter, but he was a tremendous interpreter of others' work, and infused his records with a rich knowledge of rock history without forgetting to make the music fun. His primary influences were American rock icons like Elvis, Chuck Berry, the Killer and Fats Domino, but there was also plenty of twang in his music, as this track shows.

Though this song (and album) are credited to Edmunds, it was really made during an incredibly prolific period for the band Rockpile, which included Edmunds, Nick Lowe, and super session men Billy Bremner and Terry Williams. Rockpile never quite made a big splash in the States, but they were far and away one of the UK's best 70s exports.

Listen to "A1 on the Jukebox": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm739HzXlI8

Sat May 31, 2014 9:53 pm
Director

This isn't an "official" post, but rather a bit of a conflicted post. As stated before, this thread will be a butt rock-free zone, meaning System of a Down will not be making an appearance. But what if you mashed up System of a Down with Elton John? The results are much more awesome, and I think this deserves some kind of recognition despite its butt rock origins.

So for those who haven't seen it, I present "Crocodile Chop": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4cGqu2_GQQ

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:00 pm
Director

MACK THE KNIFE - Bobby Darin/numerous other artists

"Mack the Knife" is what they call a "standard" today, and songs such as this one have become such a part of our culture that it is sometimes difficult to remember where the original came from. So with a little bit of reading and research, let's turn this post into a history lesson.

"Mack the Knife" was first publicly heard in 1928, as part of the German production The Threepenny Opera which (movie tie in!) was produced as a film in 1931, directed by G.W. Pabst. However, the song's introduction into American popular culture was delayed by World War II; it was not until the 1950s that American jazz artists turned it into the standard that it is today. Yet the song transcends jazz; as the years have progressed, the song has been recorded by rock artists, country artists, as well as plenty of jazz and easy listening artists.

I chose Bobby Darin's version as the spotlight, because his version of the song was the biggest hit (#1 on both sides of the Atlantic), but it has been recorded by artists as diverse as Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, The Doors, the Psychedelic Furs, Nick Cave, Sting, Roger Daltrey, Lyle Lovett, and Brian Setzer. The various versions are quite unique in their own way; some play it straight, some are very experimental. It is interesting to compare them to see how different musicians take on the same song. I've chosen a few select versions of the song as examples; this song has been covered literally hundreds of times.

Listen to "Mack the Knife" ...

By Bobby Darin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEllHMWkXEU

By Louis Armstrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnOWikgTG2Q

By Ella Fitzgerald: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX2n2EE2hls

By Dee Snider (yes, that Dee Snider): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlptWs2Kxgo

By Nick Cave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5rc1sJ5z08

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:14 pm
Director

MADHOUSE - Anthrax

Released in 1985
From Spreading the Disease

Here's a perfect example of good cuts being found anywhere. Metal isn't my bag mostly; there's some good stuff to be found, but once you get into the harder-edged thrash in the 1980s it's a bit hit or miss for me. Metallica is good, Megadeth has some good cuts, and I can take or leave Slayer. Overall, I like heavy sounds, but tend to prefer the bluesy, dirty riffage of Sabbath, Zeppelin, and Deep Purple. But then there's Anthrax, a band that falls in between the hooky thrash of Metallica and the ridiculous thrash of Slayer. Some of their stuff I can do without, but I've got to admit that Among the Living was a pretty good album, and this song betrays its thrash origins and has a nice hook.

Some of you may know this track from GTA: Vice City. Nothing wrong with that; I thought that game's rock station was pretty good. The link below will take you to the song's official music video, which (believe it or not) was banned by MTV because it was deemed to be insensitive to those with mental disabilities.

Listen to "Madhouse": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGHsxMqpL0c

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:28 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
"Mack the Knife" is what they call a "standard" today, and songs such as this one have become such a part of our culture that it is sometimes difficult to remember where the original came from. So with a little bit of reading and research, let's turn this post into a history lesson.

"Mack the Knife" was first publicly heard in 1928, as part of the German production The Threepenny Opera which (movie tie in!) was produced as a film in 1931, directed by G.W. Pabst. However, the song's introduction into American popular culture was delayed by World War II; it was not until the 1950s that American jazz artists turned it into the standard that it is today. Yet the song transcends jazz; as the years have progressed, the song has been recorded by rock artists, country artists, as well as plenty of jazz and easy listening artists.

I'm very surprised that the original source of "Mack the Knife" (original: "Die Moritat von Mackie Messer") isn't fairly well known. I was under the impression that "The Threepenny Opera" by Berthold Brecht was known on a worldwide scale. At least, it had been translated into many languages and been performed years before WW2.

Perhaps you may be familiar with another cooperation between Berthold Brecht and composer Kurt Weill, the "Alabama Song", which has been covered by the Doors and David Bowie.

By the way, while in exile in the U.S., Brecht wrote the screenplay for Fritz Lang's 'Hangmen also die'. I believe that the film's music was composed by Kurt Weill as well.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:28 am
Director

Unke wrote:

Perhaps you may be familiar with another cooperation between Berthold Brecht and composer Kurt Weill, the "Alabama Song", which has been covered by the Doors and David Bowie.

I am. It's one of my favorite Doors songs.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:41 pm
Director

GALLOWS POLE - Leadbelly/Led Zeppelin

This is another standard, but this one dates back even farther than "Mack the Knife." "Gallows Pole" is a song several centuries old; when and where it originated is not entirely known. Researchers have discovered early versions of this folk ballad in Finland, Germany, Hungary, Sweden and many other parts of Europe. The basic story and theme of this song has been found in the folk tale "Bluebeard," which dates to the late 17th Century. Numerous folk artists have recorded and performed it, and these versions vary. Most contain the basic story structure, which is an account of a young woman who trades gold, silver and her virginity to bribe the executioner into releasing a family member, usually their brother or father. In some versions of the song, the family member is freed. In others, the girl is deceived and the execution is carried out anyway.

"Gallows Pole" has gone by many titles over the years as well. It has been called "Gallis Pole," "The Maid Freed From the Gallows Pole," "Hangman," "Ropeman," "Mama, Did You Bring Any Silver," and numerous other titles. In more modern times, it has been recorded by the Kingston Trio, Peter, Paul and Mary, Pete Seeger, Uriah Heep, Neil Young, and many others. Bob Dylan made a song called "Seven Curses" which has different lyrics, but is very similar thematically.

So with all that said, I'm going to focus on the two most famous versions of the song - the ones recorded by Leadbelly and Led Zeppelin. Leadbelly's version was recorded for the Library of Congress sometime in the 1930s, and while black folk songs hardly sold copies hand over fist in those days, it did serve as the inspiration for Zep's version. Zeppelin never released "Gallows Pole" as a single, but it became one of the most popular cuts off of Led Zeppelin III, and remains a fan favorite.

Listen to "Gallows Pole" ...

By Leadbelly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye2N_2ce3QE

By Led Zeppelin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kBX0K9nxPc

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:14 pm