Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:12 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
So... let me get this straight 
Author Message
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 243
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Ken wrote:
For clarity's sake, he's referring to KWRoss, AKA Nu Ken. I am Ken Prime and always will be.


Correct. :oops:

_________________
______________________________
Specializing in rodent behavior modification.
-Watch me pull a habit out of rat.


Mon May 19, 2014 12:50 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1432
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I guess that means I got reported, since I'm a member of the "making fun of Lindsay Lohan" fan club.


I would also have been reported except I couldn't stay in that thread past the first few pages. His avatar is more than enough for my daily dose of Lindsay Lohan.


Mon May 19, 2014 12:55 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Pedro wrote:
I can't count how many times I've read back-and-forths with these two and it seems like they're not listening or they don 't care. I always thought the point of debate was to convince someone of your point-of-view but concede good points when they come up. There's no concession with them. They have to be right. They can't be convinced of anything. They can't learn anything. It's frustrating to interact with a brick wall, is it not? It's certainly been frustrating for me to watch members interact with a brick wall.


I'm fully on board with these bans, and it's honestly frustrating to hear people actually defend these guys. Personally, one of the big reasons I come to the forum less and enjoy it less when I do come is because of those two. It has nothing to do with the opinions they hold and everything to do with how they express them (the quoted from Pedro nails it in that regard). My single opinion of a poster or two shouldn't be grounds for anyone being banned, but I also have firsthand knowledge that one of, or a combination of both, of those two were main driving forces behind the departure of a bunch of former posters. I'm not going to name names, but it isn't really that difficult to figure out. It's been a pattern with those two guys for literally years. It's been explained to them how they come across numerous times, both civilly and not-so-civilly. There's no way around it - they just don't care if they're an asshole to someone.

Heated disagreements happen from time to time. That's ok, and the mods are right to come in and shut a thread down when that does happen. There's a huge difference from, say, NotHughGrant and I getting into it and then moving on, and MGamesCook or Vexer getting into it with someone, and then getting into it with someone else a week later. And then someone else the week after that. At some point, it stops being something that just happens when passionate, intelligent people exchange opinions, and it becomes a pattern of being a jerk. Wisey didn't do anything most of the regular posters haven't done before (maybe he came on stronger than some have, admittedly, but his frustrations have clearly been brewing and I can't say I disagree with his sentiment), but since his rant lead to the suspensions of the other two, I understand banning him for a few days. Hell, I just got into it with MGames, and had no idea he was suspended, but would have accepted my own ban, had that been decided.

The decision to reinstate either of those guys is obviously up to the mods, but if they decide to, I hope both guys realize that you can hold strong, differing opinions without constantly being a jerk or belittling people. And if not, they'll end up gone for good eventually. Either way, I say good job to the mods.


Mon May 19, 2014 3:05 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 368
Location: Watertown, SD
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
I'm obviously not a regular poster, but I read everything so I guess I'll weigh in.

It seems as though Vexer's trying to get into arguments all the time, and his constant attacking of others who disagree with him is getting tiresome. I definitely agree with the ban, and I hope he learns to change when he's back, although I kind of doubt he can.

MGames brings a lot of passion to the table, and I respect his knowledge of film. Members who are more active than I seem to think a ban was necessary so I fully support the decision. I think if he learns to deliver his ideas a little better, he can be a great contributor to these forums. Hopefully this ban can help him do that.

_________________
https://twitter.com/Steven_Renner23


Mon May 19, 2014 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 445
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Cook was banned too?

Not to say that Cook didn't have his flaws....oh boy did he ever but at the core he was intelligent and loved films a great deal. He was also a dick. A huge one so I'm not against him not being here.


Mon May 19, 2014 4:50 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1752
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
I must be the only one who has never gotten into it with Cook. I defer to the mods here. As for Vexer, I would give him another chance on the condition that he learn how to use quotes properly.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Mon May 19, 2014 4:56 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:52 am
Posts: 59
Location: England.
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
"lol".


Tue May 20, 2014 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 627
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
For that particular incident, a banning was probably out of line for Vex. For cumulative behavior and "straw that broke the camel's back", probably warranted.

Outside of the whole fly-off-the-handle-at-the-slightest-sign-of-disagreement, my biggest beef is probably his pattern of comparative criticism. (i.e. Relying on denigrating a movie/actor/director by bringing up some totally different title as a better example of his point. Like "Meh...Harrison Ford was OK in Regarding Henry, but Patrick Stewart was much better in Star Trek: First Contact." [Note: not an actual Vexer quote.] Not to say that this is not a valid form of criticism, but for Vex it seems like the vast majority of his criticism falls into that pattern. If nobody has seen 'exhibit A' OR 'exhibit B', then such criticism really holds no value.)

Again, not to say that comparative criticism has no value when used judiciously here and there and referencing titles that most readers will have seen, but when it is your go-to method of analysis, it makes for tedious reading.


Wed May 21, 2014 9:59 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 637
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Business kept me away for several days and it appears things have changed somewhat. I'm not as heavy into the movie scene or forum as most, but I will miss those folks if they don't come back. Hopeful that things can cool off.


Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 118
Location: New York
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
I'm still pretty new here, but I will say I feel safer posting now that I don't have to worry about one of them possibly jumping on my back. I've been browsing these forums for like two years before I finally decided to join so I knew who to look out for. There's no denying Cook knows a lot about movies, but I wish he worded his posts better because half the time he seemed like he was pissed off and trying to belittle someone. Vexer seems like a nice guy and I actually agree with him a lot on topics not pertaining to movies, but then again, I'm not a mod so I didn't know he was reporting people for those things. When it comes to discussing movies however, he never really explained himself. I know not everyone likes the same movies, and even I hate some critically acclaimed films, but I have my reasons, he never seemed to have his. Anyways, sorry if I kind of regurgitated what other people have said, I pretty much agree with everyone and believe that the bans were justified. This is just my two cents from a person who has stayed back and observed from behind.


Thu May 22, 2014 10:06 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm
Posts: 226
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Reading this I feel like I walked in the door coming home for Thanksgiving and the fight had just finished with the table still laying upturned.

_________________
Never take a forum signature too seriously, even this one.


Fri May 23, 2014 2:11 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 506
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Hey, so with wisey whining about the forum still on a dying path, should I do any early unbans?

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Thu May 29, 2014 10:09 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2539
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
If you're going to let anyone back, then yeah, do it now and allow for the early possibility for redemption (if that's the right word).

Better knowing either way sooner rather than later (IMO)

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu May 29, 2014 11:31 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 385
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
I wouldn't mind having GamesC back. Truth be told I've never had an issue with him. That being said I understand completely the issues he's had with others and it would be much worse to lose Pete than MGC. Pete's a goddamn hero. I won't be sad if Vexer gets a lifetime, in fact I think he should have one.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Thu May 29, 2014 11:35 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2539
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Cook's a great writer, I just want him to voice opinions that are HIS own.

TBH, I didn't even know he'd been banned at first.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu May 29, 2014 12:00 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Pedro wrote:
Hey, so with wisey whining about the forum still on a dying path, should I do any early unbans?

What, you want it to die faster? Put it out of its misery?

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu May 29, 2014 1:16 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Gedmud wrote:
I wouldn't mind having GamesC back. Truth be told I've never had an issue with him. That being said I understand completely the issues he's had with others and it would be much worse to lose Pete than MGC. Pete's a goddamn hero. I won't be sad if Vexer gets a lifetime, in fact I think he should have one.


Thank you, sir (I think...unless you're mocking me in which case...ummm, mean words!). Either way, I pretty much agree with you here. I'd guess most people see MGames as either a valuable poster, or potentially valuable one. I'd also guess the issues most people have with him have nothing to do with his film knowledge or the opinions he holds. I think he should be given another chance to show he can be less of a jerk sometimes when he disagrees with someone.

As for Vexer, I won't say he should be given a lifetime ban, but I can't say I'd be opposed to it, either. My biggest issue with him is the sheer volume of nonsense posts he manages to post. He tends to overwhelm threads and kill discussion on a regular basis. It's been explained to him numerous times, but maybe the ban made it really sink in. I don't know. I can honestly take or leave him.


Thu May 29, 2014 1:51 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
My problem with Cook and Vexer is the same. They impede discussion of any topic that isn't about themselves. Cook, because he'll never skip an opportunity to derail a thread into one of his favorite pet topics--and it doesn't matter if he sincerely believes what he's saying or is just doing it for the attention. Vexer, because he clutters the place with posts that contain no substance, to the point where the threads he posts in end up being more about how annoying he's being than whatever the discussion was in the first place. Even his really passionate moments (i.e. when someone's pissed him off and he's digging in his heels) don't contain critical analysis so much as single-minded gainsaying.

There've been times in the recent past when I've asked myself, "What am I even doing here anymore?" Haven't really had any since these guys were sent on indefinite leave.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu May 29, 2014 1:58 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Ken wrote:
Cook, because he'll never skip an opportunity to derail a thread into one of his favorite pet topics--and it doesn't matter if he sincerely believes what he's saying or is just doing it for the attention.


This is absolutely my biggest gripe with Cook. I'm tired of hearing him reiterate the same thoughts about the same 4-5 movies (or topics) with different wording. There's at least some substance there, but it's the same substance over and over and it's hard not to see him taking a thread and bending it into a discussion about one of those things as being all about himself.

I think he's capable of discussing other movies/topics, and I think he's capable of not being such a dick at times too. I just think he can be a good poster, one with an interesting perspective that is, at times, refreshing. Granted, maybe all of that is wishful thinking, but I do think he deserves a chance to prove that right or wrong. I don't know that Vexer does anything other than annoy people, and I've often wondered what he could possibly get out of coming to a forum where his opinion isn't valued (and is often openly mocked), and where he's seen as more of a nuisance than contributor. I don't get the impression that he's here to learn from others, or exchange opinions, and he certainly isn't interested in providing insight into his own way of thinking. Outside of him being annoying, I just plain don't understand him.


Thu May 29, 2014 2:38 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 445
Post Re: So... let me get this straight
Ken wrote:
There've been times in the recent past when I've asked myself, "What am I even doing here anymore?" Haven't really had any since these guys were sent on indefinite leave.


I have two things about early unbans. Ken already said the first one for me. The second one is that if Pedro does unban Vexer or Games early, it's a mockery of the forum rules and proves you don't have the balls to to actually dole out punishment.


And fuck what wisey says about the forum dying, it's been dying a very slow death for years now. Deal with it.


Thu May 29, 2014 4:04 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr