Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:31 am

The best music thread on the forum 
Director

Post The best music thread on the forum
The thread title isn't just hyperbole. This is going to be the best music thread on the forum. How so, you say? Well, I'm going to be digging through my thousands of songs in my iTunes folder and spotlighting the very best. And if I can find them, I'll link to the songs on Youtube. Hopefully we can discuss our favorite stuff, and maybe you'll find something awesome you've never heard before. Point is, this is going to be a great thread. Now, for the FAQ:

What makes you qualified to do this? I have been collecting music for over 20 years. My first purchase was Thriller, and since then I have amassed somewhere in the realm of 1,500 albums. A modest collection, to be sure, but I like to think it is really good.

What is your criteria for including something in this thread? Only one: It has to be good. If it's not good, I won't spotlight it. So that means this will be a Nickelback-free zone. Because like I said, it has to be good.

How many songs will you feature? Who knows? As long as there's good songs, we can talk about them. We don't know when it's going to end...

What'll we all have? Fun, fun, fun until Daddy takes the T-Bird away.

Give me a few minutes - first entry is coming up.

Wed May 21, 2014 8:51 pm
Director

Post Re: The best music thread on the forum
HA HA HA - Flipper

Released in 1981 as Subterranean Records SUB 7
B-side of "Love Canal"

Flipper - not the dolphin, but the punk band - were one of the best of the second wave punk bands to come out of California. More specifically, they came from the same scene as the Dead Kennedys - San Francisco. However, where the Kennedys turned surf music on its head to make Dick Dale-styled punk, Flipper got sludgy, and helped pave the way for bands such as Mudhoney and Nirvana. Kurt Cobain was a huge Flipper fan, and so was Krist Novoselic, so much so that Krist played with them for a few years after Nirvana broke up.

Listen to "Ha Ha Ha": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJCKwqyR7KY

Wed May 21, 2014 9:07 pm
Second Unit Director

I for one, am super excited about this thread. I'm just beginning to soak in music and its history, and I look forward to being led to a lot of great songs from this thread.

Wed May 21, 2014 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Steven wrote:
I for one, am super excited about this thread. I'm just beginning to soak in music and its history, and I look forward to being led to a lot of great songs from this thread.

Yup! Agreed. I am also one of those who wants to really get into music history, and this thread good be a great start. Thanks for doing this Sexy Choco.

Thu May 22, 2014 4:00 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

As a fairly consistent lurker and not as frequent poster, I look forward to seeing this thread grow.

Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 am
Director

NADINE - Chuck Berry

Released in 1964 as Chess 1883

Frequently, fan praise of rock and pop artists descends into hyperbole and exaggeration. However, in the case of Chuck Berry, all the hyperbole is completely accurate. He is the most important of all the early rock n' rollers, and the best songwriter and best all-around musician of the period as well. It's not exaggeration to say that if Berry had not picked up a guitar, rock music would not exist in the form we know it.

"Nadine" came during Berry's second stretch of classic singles (it was his first release after getting out of jail), and proved that despite a new crowd of upstarts from the UK, Mr. B had plenty of gas left in the tank. Check out the awesome wordplay in this track - nobody was writing like this at the time, and it still sounds vital and fresh 50 years later.

Listen to "Nadine": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEd5P39Yoo

Thu May 22, 2014 8:43 pm
Director

Next entry coming later tonight. Hint: It's a hip-hop track.

And remember, don't be afraid to comment. Even if you think the song sucks. Actually, especially if you think the song sucks.

Fri May 23, 2014 2:02 pm
Producer

If I might put in a humble request for the near future, how about something from the godfather of soul, the king of funk, the hardest-working man in show business?

Fri May 23, 2014 3:51 pm
Cinematographer

I'm following this thread closely and will listen to everything listed. Good on you, Chocolate.

Fri May 23, 2014 5:12 pm
Director

I'm not well-versed at all when it comes to music history and the like, so this seems like a great spot to get acquainted.

Fri May 23, 2014 5:52 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
If I might put in a humble request for the near future, how about something from the godfather of soul, the king of funk, the hardest-working man in show business?

I think that will happen in time...

Fri May 23, 2014 6:16 pm
Second Unit Director

So is it just you making these posts or can anyone recommend awesome music. Cause if it's anyone....I got quite a few stuff that's totally awesome.

Fri May 23, 2014 6:42 pm
Director

patrick wrote:
So is it just you making these posts or can anyone recommend awesome music. Cause if it's anyone....I got quite a few stuff that's totally awesome.

I'll be making the posts, but anyone can recommend something for me to check out. I'm always looking for good tunes.

Fri May 23, 2014 8:29 pm
Director

GIN AND JUICE - Snoop Dogg

Released in 1993
From Doggystyle

A little more modern here, this West Coast groove finds Mr. Dogg pontificating on the virtues of chilling with some weed. I have vivid memories of Snoop when he first came around; I liked the easy groove of the production, and it was a nice contrast to the harder edged sounds of the Bomb Squad and Public Enemy that were big in hip-hop at the time. Snoop's laid-back delivery was perfect for the West Coast sound. Second, I must admit that I find it odd that Snoop has become a role model. After all, it wasn't that long ago that he was making Middle America shit its collective pants. I should note that Doggystyle is Snoop's best record; he unfortunately (in several instances) sacrificed the quality of his music for street cred, and he's never reached the heights of his debut since. But what an album it was.

Listen to "Gin and Juice": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKGJOtRaqMg

Fri May 23, 2014 8:44 pm
Cinematographer

Not exactly a hidden gem, but some of the younger forum members might benefit from exposure to something from Kind of Blue, Miles Davis.

Fri May 23, 2014 9:07 pm
Director

T.N.T. - AC/DC

Released in 1975
From the Australian-only release T.N.T. Later issued on American album High Voltage.

Anybody who loves rock and/or roll music loves AC/DC, and this is one of their early classics. To be more precise, it's probably the most enduring song out of those from their early Australian releases, and remains an AC/DC live staple (they usually play it as part of their encore). For those unaware, the High Voltage album we have in the United States (and in most other places) was not AC/DC's first album. They actually cut two albums in Australia before their international breakthrough; one was called High Voltage and the other T.N.T. When AC/DC first brought their sound to the States, their American distributor took the best stuff from those two albums and issued it on an album also called High Voltage.

Left behind were several songs: "Baby Please Don't Go," "You Ain't Got A Hold On Me," "Soul Stripper" and "Show Business" were later issued on the EP '74 Jailbreak. "Stick Around" and "Love Song" finally saw the light of day on the collection Backtracks, over 30 years after they were recorded. "Rocker" was later issued on the international version of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. The Chuck Berry cover "School Days" has never received an official issue outside Australia.

Listen to "T.N.T.": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR30knJs4Xk

Sat May 24, 2014 6:25 pm
Director

MACHINE GUN - The Commodores

Released in 1974 as Motown 1307F
From Machine Gun

This is the first single the Commodores ever released, from the album of the same name. It was a hard-edged, danceable, funky instrumental, which stands in pretty sharp contrast to some of their softer work that attracted a larger audience, and especially in contrast to Lionel Richie's later solo work. I'm a big Commodores fan, though I will admit that I'm more partial to their early stuff from 1974-1977.

As the 1970s wore on, Motown became a less revolutionary label; James Brown and George Clinton had begun setting the standard for harder funk and longer jams. Motown was still focusing on singles, which wasn't an altogether bad thing. However, their singles weren't as good as their 1960s output, and in hindsight we can see this as a period where the label began to lose creative steam, with only a few major artists such as Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Rick James doing truly vital work. For a period of time, the Commodores ranked among those three.

Listen to "Machine Gun": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcKZDWBzRks

Sun May 25, 2014 8:00 pm
Producer

^^^ Fuck yeah. My drummer turned me onto Machine Gun a few months ago. Great album. Too funky.

Sun May 25, 2014 9:24 pm
Second Unit Director

I've got a theory that cannot be proven yet makes perfect sense. If you love The Royal Tenenbaums you will love this track. Those who don't know anything about anything will appreciate this. Those who do know shit about shit will nod in appreciation. Blast it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tbE1JZlRbQ

Mon May 26, 2014 9:15 am
Second Unit Director

Hm, I like 'Machine Gun' (isn't that featured in 'Boogie NIghts', too?), but 'The Royal Tenenbaums'? Not so much.

Mon May 26, 2014 10:33 am