Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Favorite video games 
Auteur

Post Re: Favorite video games
Personally I prefered Sega over Nintendo back in the day, it was years before I ever owned a Nintendo console.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:50 pm
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

Ya see, I could never grow to love those kind of first person shooters. Doom is the most infuriating and dull game I ever played.

I love Doom. I think a big part of it was that when it came out, we'd never seen anything like it. It was so different from everything we'd played. Doom had the same impact on my generation as GTA III had over a decade later.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:
SNES RPGs were the shit. Chrono Trigger (great review, Patrick!), Final Fantasy II and III (as they were released in the U.S.), The Secret of Mana, The Secret of Evermore, even The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, which had RPG elements, are all among my all-time favorites. More recently I've loved the God of War and Uncharted series.

SNES itself was "the shit".

During the 8-bit and 16-bit era there was actually, unbelievably a debate on what was the best between Nintendo and Sega. I knew full well that Nintendo was better at the time, but 20+ years later it seems incomprehensible that such a debate could exist.

There were one or two arcade games that Sega converted a little slicker than the SNES, and for some reason Sega's version of FIFA Soccer was a little more coherent (although by no means great), but by every other measurement the SNES kicked ass. I remember being with a Sega-owning mate in a game exchange store, and the guy who owned it settling our debate right there. "Lads, I'd rather have an 8-bit Nintendo than a 16-bit Sega". Happy days!

SNES was the Roy Jones Jr of consoles. Tired today, but ruled in the 90s.

Sega did have Sonic, so there's that. Also the SNES came out almost a year later than the Genesis, which didn't hurt it in the end, but started a trend for Nintendo of being late to the next-gen ballgame that finally caught up with it the next couple generations. But yeah, SNES was the shit.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 pm
Director

Figured I'd resurrect this thread to ask if anyone has played DESTINY. It's a fun game; it looks great, the worlds are spectacular, and it plays great even though its storytelling is pretty shoddy and gives you no real emotional purpose for doing what you're doing.

Also, one evil race of creatures in the game is called the Vex. I found that pretty damn funny. :lol:

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:11 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Figured I'd resurrect this thread to ask if anyone has played DESTINY. It's a fun game; it looks great, the worlds are spectacular, and it plays great even though its storytelling is pretty shoddy and gives you no real emotional purpose for doing what you're doing.

Also, one evil race of creatures in the game is called the Vex. I found that pretty damn funny. :lol:

Hehe :lol: I've got Destiny and it's decent, but I wouldn't call it one of the best games ever, it's actually got some fairly mediocre reviews from publications like Gamespot.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:46 pm
Second Unit Director

I'll use the reemergence of this thread to call out Fire Emblem. God I love Fire Emblem.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:49 am
Producer

Back in 2001 and then again as a revisit in 2008, I spent many an hour playing Commandos for the PC.

Addictive as crack-cocaine (maybe not quite)

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:03 am