Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:34 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
No problem. It's cool

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:18 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: UNDER THE SKIN
oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:
I think Lindsay is still very talented(don't believe me, check out "The Canyons", one of her finest performances), true she hasn't fully rebounded yet, but she's getting there(and i'd say she's at least B-list considering that she worked with someone as famous as Paul Schrader)


Lohan was in a position once to do movies like Scarlett Johanssen and Jennifer Lawrence. Where Johanssen has done Avengers,Her and Lucy, Lohan has done zero. Where Lawrence has done X-men,Hunger Games and American Hustle,Lohan has done zero. The photographers are not her biggest problem but her dysfunctional behavior which makes her unemployable and tabloid fodder. Check the NY Times article about the movie Canyons and how somehow Schrader got any kind of performance from her at all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/magazine/here-is-what-happens-when-you-cast-lindsay-lohan-in-your-movie.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0


Just got around to reading this, and wow, a very interesting and completely depressing experience.

Firstly, Paul Schrader, how glad are you that you aren't him? And this is the guy who penned Raging Bull and Taxi Driver - now reduced to kowtowing 'LiLO' on the set of micro-budget trash. That guy must be on some strong meds!!

The experience of making a film is certainly likely to be traumatic at times, but if all projects are even remotely like The Canyons, then I'm elated to be at the viewer end of the process only.

It seems a horrible, bastardized concept (Schrader and Easton-Ellis at the ass-end of their respective careers, desperately gunning for some kind of perverse redemption), became a horrible experience in practice (An 'adult entertainer' as a lead and LiLO as his supporting wench rubbing each other up the wrong way ... both physically and metaphorically).

One. Big. Ouch

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed May 07, 2014 7:43 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Can anyone else hear that? The sound of sweatpants legs chafing together? Almost as if some random, sweatpants-bedecked "man" was rushing toward a computer to defend something.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Wed May 07, 2014 9:09 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Naughty :)

My intention isn't to bait our best known LiLo fan. I was just genuinely shocked at the grimness of that article. What a horrible picture of the low-end of film making it paints. One made all the more worse by LiLo's (I do think that moniker is both great and accurate) ignorance and opulence.

Spending $600 dollars (ie 6 guys' daily pay) on Sushi and vodka. How fucking ... bleak!

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed May 07, 2014 9:42 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Mark III wrote:
Can anyone else hear that? The sound of sweatpants legs chafing together? Almost as if some random, sweatpants-bedecked "man" was rushing toward a computer to defend something.

Unnecessary flame bait :roll: Look, i'm not going to deny that their were problems during filming, Lindsay herself didn't deny that most of that story was true.

Also, what's wrong with wearing sweatpants? :?


Wed May 07, 2014 2:21 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
NotHughGrant wrote:
Naughty :)

My intention isn't to bait our best known LiLo fan. I was just genuinely shocked at the grimness of that article. What a horrible picture of the low-end of film making it paints. One made all the more worse by LiLo's (I do think that moniker is both great and accurate) ignorance and opulence.

Spending $600 dollars (ie 6 guys' daily pay) on Sushi and vodka. How fucking ... bleak!

How exactly does spending 600 dollars on stuff like that make one "ignorant"? :?


Wed May 07, 2014 2:22 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
When the film's budget is so low that the staff are on $100 a day and ole LiLo is smashing $600 on fish and vodka on the movie account ... yeah issue there!

Thing is, part of me can see a kinda Lohan comeback some day, but when I read some of the shit that went down in this article, i tend to doubt it

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed May 07, 2014 4:42 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
NotHughGrant wrote:
When the film's budget is so low that the staff are on 100 a day and ole LiLo is smashing $600 on fish and vodka on the movie account ... yeah issue there!

Thing is, part of me can see a kinda Lohan comeback some day, but when I read some of the shit that went down in this article, i tend to doubt it

Not the best thing to do admittedly, but not exactly "ignorant", more like misguided.

I don't doubt it one bit, that's already ancient history by now and she has an upcoming movie that begins shooting next month.


Wed May 07, 2014 4:45 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
No, i'll stick with ignorant

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed May 07, 2014 4:47 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 418
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Vexer wrote:
Not the best thing to do admittedly, but not exactly "ignorant", more like misguided.


Ignorance by very definition is misguided thinking. So there's no disagreement, really. Stuff like that (which certainly isn't restricted to LiLo and those of her ilk) is staggeringly offensive and dumb and worthless. I don't care how much money you have, there is spending that is necessarily frivolous by its very nature. It's mostly just sad. Celebs that give lip service to serving the needy and drop thousands on crappy dinners is the epitome of the developed world's ignorance and arrogance.


Wed May 07, 2014 10:06 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Not the best thing to do admittedly, but not exactly "ignorant", more like misguided.


Ignorance by very definition is misguided thinking. So there's no disagreement, really. Stuff like that (which certainly isn't restricted to LiLo and those of her ilk) is staggeringly offensive and dumb and worthless. I don't care how much money you have, there is spending that is necessarily frivolous by its very nature. It's mostly just sad. Celebs that give lip service to serving the needy and drop thousands on crappy dinners is the epitome of the developed world's ignorance and arrogance.

I wouldn't call it "staggeringly dumb" or "offensive"

I really don't get why people care so damn much what celebs spend their money on, it's nobody's damn business if you ask me as it's their money not yours, so they can spend their money on whatever they hell I want as far as i'm concerned, it dosen't matter to me at all. Would I prefer it if more gave money to charity? Yes, but you can't expect everyone to do that, i'm personally very picky about which charities I donate to.

I certainly do not think it's the "epitome" of the world's "arrrogance" and "ignorance", that makes no sense to me :?


Wed May 07, 2014 10:22 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 418
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Vexer wrote:
I wouldn't call it "staggeringly dumb" or "offensive"


You certainly don't have to. I do.

Vexer wrote:
I really don't get why people care so damn much what celebs spend their money on, it's nobody's damn business if you ask me as it's their money not yours, so they can spend their money on whatever they hell I want as far as i'm concerned, it dosen't matter to me at all. Would I prefer it if more gave money to charity? Yes, but you can't expect everyone to do that, i'm personally very picky about which charities I donate to.

I certainly do not think it's the "epitome" of the world's "arrrogance" and "ignorance", that makes no sense to me


What, precisely, makes you think I care so damn much about it? As I said, it mostly just depresses me if I think about it, but it doesn't cross my mind that often.

I can and do expect everyone to give to those less fortunate (and giving certainly means more than money), but I'm very aware this is very rare and goes against human nature.

My point regarding the arrogance and ignorance is this: I despise bullshit. Bono can claim to care about various crises in Africa all day long, but when he's wearing $1,000 sunglasses while doing so, there's an absolute hypocrisy in that. That doesn't mean he doesn't actually care, but I think it does speak to the type of ignorance that can come with celebrity (although is not restricted to it) in believing that things matter more than people. Now, I know Bono wouldn't say it that way or even totally think it that way, but again, that's the ignorance part, not the arrogance.


Wed May 07, 2014 11:18 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
I wouldn't necessarily say it's "rare" or against human nature, just cause you don't here about celebs giving to charities in the news dosen't necessarily mean they don't, for all we know there a lot of celebrities that make private anonymous donations to charities that they simply don't talk about, I certainly don't feel obligated to talk about every single charity i've ever donated to.

Just cause someone wears expensive sunglasses dosen't automatically mean they think "things" matter more then people, to me that's an assumption that's just not necessarily true, some people like nice things and give to charity, so what? I'm sorry but I just really don't see the issue there, I don't really see how that's "bullshit" at all :?


Wed May 07, 2014 11:56 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:49 am
Posts: 105
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Vexer wrote:
I'm laughing at people thinking they can change my mind about this subject.


Thu May 08, 2014 2:27 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
AJR wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I'm laughing at people thinking they can change my mind about this subject.

And you're repeating one of my earlier posts why exactly? :?


Thu May 08, 2014 3:46 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 418
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Vexer wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily say it's "rare" or against human nature, just cause you don't here about celebs giving to charities in the news dosen't necessarily mean they don't, for all we know there a lot of celebrities that make private anonymous donations to charities that they simply don't talk about, I certainly don't feel obligated to talk about every single charity i've ever donated to.


Alright, let's look at this "argument" you're constructing. You said:

Vexer wrote:
you can't expect everyone to do that, i'm personally very picky about which charities I donate to.


I responded by saying:

Shade2 wrote:
I can and do expect everyone to give to those less fortunate (and giving certainly means more than money), but I'm very aware this is very rare and goes against human nature.


...and then you say that maybe the celebs just aren't talking about what charities they're giving to?!?!?!?!? Pick an argument and stick with it. There's only two possibilities: you're actively trolling or you're not actually reading what I'm saying.

Vexer wrote:
Just cause someone wears expensive sunglasses dosen't automatically mean they think "things" matter more then people, to me that's an assumption that's just not necessarily true, some people like nice things and give to charity, so what?


As I said, I think it's bullshit. I don't care how much you give away, when you're wearing $1,000 shades, you're giving less than you could be. I have no problem with wealth, and I don't expect everyone who has a lot of money to putter around in an old Honda with 200k miles on it. But there's a line, and $1,000 sunglasses, to me, are over that line. Why not buy even a $100 pair and give the rest away, or buy something that helps people other than you, or whatever? Just do something with it.

Vexer wrote:
I'm sorry but I just really don't see the issue there, I don't really see how that's "bullshit" at all


No need to be sorry. No one is trying to change your mind. Again: this is a forum. It's not Vexer.com. It's fine if you don't see it, but I'm actually making an argument, you're just saying "eh, I think you're wrong." That's fine, but no one besides you is responding with WELL THAT'S JUST, LIKE, YOUR OPINION, MAN.


Thu May 08, 2014 3:51 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2191
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Wow, Shade. How much of your money to do you give to charity?

I guess none of us are allowed to ever over indulge. Because that money could go to charity instead.

I guess we are all selfish people.


Sat May 10, 2014 3:31 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
ilovemovies wrote:
Wow, Shade. How much of your money to do you give to charity?

I guess none of us are allowed to ever over indulge. Because that money could go to charity instead.

I guess we are all selfish people.

Well said.

I think attention should be less focused on people like Bono and more on those that truly deserve scrutiny like the Walton family. They're among the richest people in the world yet they've consistently refused to allow Walmart employees to be paid a living wage and health benefits, and thwarted any and all attempts at unionizing, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. Compared to that, a singer who happens to wear expensive sunglasses and give to charity seems awfully insignifcant.


Sat May 10, 2014 4:25 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2191
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Well I shop at Walmart. Not all the time, but from time to time. I'm not rich and Walmart is cheap. If Walmart is really that bad then there are plenty of other retail stores and other stores that are similar to Walmart in my area that people can work at.


Sat May 10, 2014 4:56 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
ilovemovies wrote:
Well I shop at Walmart. Not all the time, but from time to time. I'm not rich and Walmart is cheap. If Walmart is really that bad then there are plenty of other retail stores and other stores that are similar to Walmart in my area that people can work at.

Oh I shop at Walmart too and i'm certainly not judging anyone who does, but nevertheless I keep hearing all these stories about employees being screwed over and feel bad for them, I don't think it would kill the Waltons to engage in some basic human decency at least.


Sat May 10, 2014 5:03 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr