Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:39 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread 
Cinematographer

Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
Mark III wrote:
One guy on one forum doing a Chris Crocker act, sincere as it may be, isn't going to change any minds about Lohan. Who on earth envies her position? People love to see her fail and stumble at each comeback attempt. The OWN show is great charity for her but, alas, she's now more famous for being Lindsay Lohan than she is for being an actress. Good luck to her.

NotHughGrant wrote:
Not that these things alone are enough to kill outright a career in Hollywood. But - and forgive me for saying this - beyond her much younger days, she hasn't demonstrated she has much talent to squander.

These two quotes pretty much sum it up. I mean, how many times as she played "herself" in things over the past 4-5 years? And that doesn't even include The Canyons where, by all indications, she played herself. People can villify the paparazzi all they want (it's justified, for sure), but the vultures circling Lohan are the only reason she's remained semi-relevant. Regardless of how talented she was as a child/teenager, she's remained in the public eye because she's a train wreck as a person. It' sad, and gross, and pathetic for all involved.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:05 pm
Auteur

PeachyPete wrote:
Mark III wrote:
One guy on one forum doing a Chris Crocker act, sincere as it may be, isn't going to change any minds about Lohan. Who on earth envies her position? People love to see her fail and stumble at each comeback attempt. The OWN show is great charity for her but, alas, she's now more famous for being Lindsay Lohan than she is for being an actress. Good luck to her.

NotHughGrant wrote:
Not that these things alone are enough to kill outright a career in Hollywood. But - and forgive me for saying this - beyond her much younger days, she hasn't demonstrated she has much talent to squander.

These two quotes pretty much sum it up. I mean, how many times as she played "herself" in things over the past 4-5 years? And that doesn't even include The Canyons where, by all indications, she played herself. People can villify the paparazzi all they want (it's justified, for sure), but the vultures circling Lohan are the only reason she's remained semi-relevant. Regardless of how talented she was as a child/teenager, she's remained in the public eye because she's a train wreck as a person. It' sad, and gross, and pathetic for all involved.

She doesn't need those vultures to remain "relevant", that's nonsense.

No she is not a "train-wreck", that term is offensive to anyone who's actually personally known people who HAVE suffered from addictions. :roll: :evil:

The only things that are "sad" "gross" and "pathetic" are the paps and the morons who eat up all the false and exaggerated stories they put out.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 pm
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Charlie Sheen shouldn't have been sacked from 2 and a Half Men for the simple fact that he and that show deserve to be wed to each other forever in the deeper recesses of hell.

And Lohan, well like Mark says, the Canyons (from what I've heard) is hardly her playing against type. And whether you think she has talent or not, Vexer, she does bring baggage with her (quotation marks around the word 'baggage' or not).
A drunken, drug addicted party girl with a criminal record is always going to bring baggage to any professional project.

But in a perverse fashion, Lohan's actions in the last 7 years have sealed her fame. She'll never disappear completely. Her fame and exposure will default more-or-less permanently to Paris Hilton levels of tabloid fodder. In a sense, being known almost wholly for debauchery is less risky than the considerably more unpredictable enterprise of acting in films that may or may not make any money.

In this regard, she has chosen a safe route to fame. A fame of sorts. In future, if she gets caught drink-driving or whatever, she can backup the inevitable meltdown with a "reality TV series" on getting back to "normality".

I suppose there are a few worse ways to make money (weapons manufacturer, pimp, dealing crack to kids), and it is at least a dependable source of income to offer the mortgage manager at the bank. But is her life what you'd want for your Sister or Daughter?

Not for me it ain't.
No her fame is not "sealed", she'll never be on the same level as Paris Hilton(who nobody even really talks about anymore)

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:36 pm
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

That's perfect. It wasn't as if she had played a range of difficult roles, only to make them iconic, before falling into the kind of turmoil that could be produced by any large factory. She did plucky and precocious for about ten years and then she got into drugs and general delinquency. If her life were a script, re-writes would be in order. Reduce the cliches and drama, add a human touch. She's basically Adam Rich of Eight is Enough fame but with unfortunate longevity and fame maintained through a dedicated news cycle.

And then there's this:

PeachleyPete wrote:
I mean, how many times as she played "herself" in things over the past 4-5 years?

It reminds me of Frank Sinatra turning around at the piano in Around The World in 80 Days. Hey! It's Frank Sinatra! The two actually have some things in common.

And then there's this:

vexer wrote:
No she is not a "train-wreck", that term is offensive to anyone who's actually personally known people who HAVE suffered from addictions.

Don't be a martyr. If we're going to talk about addicts and their addictions, let's talk about what addicts and their addictions do to the people around them. I think "train-wreck" is perfectly apt in many cases. Here's a quote from the very bible of the recovering alcoholic:

Quote:
"The alcoholic is like a tornado roaring his way through the lives of others. Hearts are broken. Sweet relationships are dead. Affections have been uprooted. Selfish and inconsiderate habits have kept the home in turmoil.

I can't really opine too much on AA or NA as I'm not a member but there is an entire industry of literature out there to support people who are recovering from time spent with alcoholics and addicts. And those people would say "train wreck" is as inoffensive, not to say completely accurate, metaphor.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:55 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
She doesn't need those vultures to remain "relevant", that's nonsense.

Give us some examples, then, of the things she's done recently that have made news unrelated to tabloids.

Vexer wrote:
No she is not a "train-wreck", that term is offensive to anyone who's actually personally known people who HAVE suffered from addictions. :roll: :evil:

Sorry Vex, you don't get to speak for all addicts/friends of addicts. Every addict I know (including my Dad) describe it that way. What do you want to call it, a blessing? And calling her a train wreck, or whatever term you want to use, isn't a matter of opinion, it's fact. And let's be very clear: her addictions, while legitimate, are not by ANY means an excuse for all of her actions, or even most of them. I have sympathy for addicts, but I have zero sympathy -- none, nada -- for famous/wealthy people who drive drunk (or in her case do it repeatedly). Hire a driver, hail a cab, anything. If you actually want to stop, cut up your license and hire a 24/7 driver. She didn't even have the class to perform her community service before she was threatened to be put in jail for missing the deadline.

Again, I have some level of sympathy for her addictions and demons, but she needs to make an effort on her end.

Vexer wrote:
The only things that are "sad" "gross" and "pathetic" are the paps and the morons who eat up all the false and exaggerated stories they put out.

It's not sad or pathetic to repeatedly show no care for the safety of others by driving drunk and then skipping the classes that might give you a chance at healing? It's not gross to avoid the community service work you generously got as a punishment? Like most, Lindsay's been more than okay with the tabloids and with using her sexuality when it suits her, but she claims superiority when it doesn't. It is all very sad indeed. She's a nearly 30 year-old child with little understanding. Her parents seemed to have been no help, but again, she's responsible for her choices, no one else is.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:11 pm
Producer

Vexer, I'm quite conscious here that there lies the spectre of 4 older blokes bullying 1 younger 1. Not a situation i'm comfortable with, and certainly not one that has arisen through design or maliciousness (one of this forum's many strengths is that shit doesn't fly), but if you shackle your fate to the Lohans of the world, then you have to expect a world of pain. There's no way around it.

And whatsmore, forgive me for saying, but a few people have lost their patience with you in the last couple of months. I think you're an awesome member of the forum, but your style has degenerated into flatline contrary filler that you yourself would be offended by if directed at a certain ... let's say .. sacred cow.

Let's see some more ...deft, if you get me?!

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:36 pm
Auteur

"Train-wreck" is not "apt" or "accurate" at all, it's got nothing to do with being a "martyr" I think it's a term that's way overused in general.

I can and will speak for other addicts, do not tell me what I can and cannot do. She has done well on her community service lately.

You can gang up on me for having a different opinion all you want, but you'll be in a "world of pain" of your own.

She doesn't "use" her "sexuality" when it "suits" her or "claim superiority" that's nonsense.

Those DUIs were a long time ago, bringing them up now is just a pointless distraction.

Maybe I have more sympathy for her because my cousin died in a drunk-driving accident, yes what she did was reckless and careless, but I knew she was still a good person at heart, so I did not judge her for actions that night, nor am I judging Lohan for her mistakes all those years ago. Maybe now you'll understand why I'm not nearly as eager to crucify Lindsay for the past like the rest of you and all those gossip sites are.

NotHughGrant-You're not a mod, so quit acting like one, I'm plenty "deft".

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
"Train-wreck" "apt" "accurate" "martyr" "world of pain" "use" "sexuality" "suits" "claim superiority" "deft"

This is really just too much

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Steven wrote:
Vexer wrote:
"Train-wreck" "apt" "accurate" "martyr" "world of pain" "use" "sexuality" "suits" "claim superiority" "deft"

Oh well.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:25 pm
Assistant Director

You gotta laugh to keep yourself from crying at the weirdness.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:35 pm
Auteur

Mark III wrote:
You gotta laugh to keep yourself from crying at the weirdness.

I'm laughing at people thinking they can change my mind about this subject.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:39 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
"Train-wreck" is not "apt" or "accurate" at all, it's got nothing to do with being a "martyr" I think it's a term that's way overused in general.

Again, then, what term would you use?

Vexer wrote:
I can and will speak for other addicts, do not tell me what I can and cannot do.

I didn't say that. At all. I said you can't speak for ALL of them. You said the term "train wreck" is offensive to anyone who's been affected by addiction, and that's a load of crap that you can't possibly speak to. You can say "it's offensive to ME as someone who's been affected," but you can't speak for everyone. Sorry.

Vexer wrote:
She doesn't "use" her "sexuality" when it "suits" her or "claim superiority" that's nonsense.

You can't say it is nonsense, you have to tell me how. She uses her sexuality to stay relevant, hence, Playboy.

Vexer wrote:
Those DUIs were a long time ago, bringing them up now is just a pointless distraction.

Seven years isn't that long ago, and she was still doing drugs and stealing stuff three years ago.

Vexer wrote:
Maybe I have more sympathy for her because my cousin died in a drunk-driving accident

You have my sincere sympathy.

Quote:
Maybe now you'll understand why I'm not nearly as eager to crucify Lindsay for the past like the rest of you and all those gossip sites are.

No one here is crucifying Lohan. At all. I said I don't give her sympathy for her own crimes that she could have easily avoided, and that I hold her, not her problems/addictions/demons, responsible for her choices. How the hell is that crucifying her?

Vexer wrote:
You can gang up on me for having a different opinion all you want, but you'll be in a "world of pain" of your own.

Oh please. NO ONE is ganging up on you, even a little bit. No one. Unless, of course, you are in fact Lindsay Lohan. No one has attacked you, no one has mocked you, no one has made fun of you. Some of us are trying to discuss things, you're just snapping at everyone who says anything not entirely positive about someone you don't know.

This is not bullying and this is not ganging up. It's someone posting thoughts, repeatedly, on a discussion forum, and then whining and complaining of getting ganged up on when anyone disagrees with him. As I've said before: if you just want to publicly post great things about Lohan, start a blog and disable comments. When you come here and post them, people are going to react, and when they react in ways you disagree with, that is not ganging up on you. In any way or to any degree.

Quote:
I'm laughing at people thinking they can change my mind about this subject.

I guess this is the key to the whole thing, though, Vex: all one can interpret from what you're saying is that you genuinely believe this entire forum and thread revolves directly around you. Sorry holmes, but it doesn't. Someone disagreeing with you and voicing their reasons why does not mean they're trying to change their mind, it just means they're trying to express a differing opinion, which is clearly not something you welcome. You're not required to, but again, if that's the case why post at all?

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 pm
Auteur

I would say at least NotHughGrant is, he himself admitted to "ganging up" on me and claimed I would be in a "world of pain" basically just for having a different opinion, if that's not "ganging uo" then what exactly would you call that? :?

The term I would use is "addict", it is the correct term after all.

No, I don't believe this entire forum "revolves around me" don't know where you got that from :?

To me the tone of your posts makes it sound very much like you are trying to change my mind, so if i'm mistaken about that, I apologize, it's easy for me to get confused in regards to that sort of thing.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:52 pm
Director

Steven wrote:

Quote addiction is not something to be made light of, Steve.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:59 pm
Director

peng wrote:
Steven wrote:

Quotes. Not even once.

On topic, I will say that Lohan is not really that great of an actress. Look at her films; the films she is in are generally not that good, and the few notable films she has acted in are notable in spite of her, not because of her. Lohan is famous for being famous, but she's hardly the first.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:07 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
peng wrote:
Steven wrote:

Quotes. Not even once.

On topic, I will say that Lohan is not really that great of an actress. Look at her films; the films she is in are generally not that good, and the few notable films she has acted in are notable in spite of her, not because of her. Lohan is famous for being famous, but she's hardly the first.

I personally disagree, I don't think she's been in any outright bad films per se(though a few of her earlier films were rather forgettable and average at best), and I think some movies we're notable because of and not inspite of her- "Chapter 27" being one such example, if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that you do.

I agree that addiction is not something to be made fun of(not refering to you guys BTW), that's the biggest problem I have with these gossip sites(aside from the false/exaggerated stories), it gets to the point where addiction becomes the punchline, which is very much insulting to those like myself who personally know people who have died from addiction.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
I would say at least NotHughGrant is, he himself admitted to "ganging up" on me and claimed I would be in a "world of pain" basically just for having a different opinion, if that's not "ganging uo" then what exactly would you call that? :?

No, I don't believe this entire forum "revolves around me" don't know where you got that from :?

To me the tone of your posts makes it sound very much like you are trying to change my mind, so if i'm mistaken about that, I apologize, it's easy for me to get confused in regards to that sort of thing.

Jesus H! Talk about twisting the context. I said that 4 guys v you could look like ganging up, but it isn't!

And my world of pain comment referred to anyone who marries their emotional state to the behaviour of Lindsey Lohan!

And as for Lohan, never been in a bad movie?? Well, whatever you say!!

And without her addiction(s) she wouldn't even be in the public eye.

She's now essentially a professional addict.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:35 am
Producer

peng wrote:
Steven wrote:

:D :D

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:39 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Jesus H! Talk about twisting the context. I said that 4 guys v you could look like ganging up, but it isn't!

And my world of pain comment referred to anyone who marries their emotional state to the behaviour of Lindsey Lohan!

Indeed, Vex. NotHugh really didn't mean any harm with that post of his you reported. He explicitly said it's like approaching the line of 4 guys ganging up on 1, yet not crossing it. He also spelled out the following: "I think you're an awesome member of the forum". And Shade is 100% right as well when he says that this is a message board; no one is obligated to post anything, but we do it anyway because we enjoy it and have a passion toward certain issues. I really think these guys were trying to provide a wise, teachable moment. Instead of being uber-defensive over every retort, it sometimes helps to just listen. And if gets to be too much, just walk away. As someone who deals with depression, I can safely say this is something I work on every day as well.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:18 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:

She would most definitely be in the public eye without her addictions.

Sorry for my confusion regarding your post, but the way it was worded made it easy for me to mistake what you were really saying. You'll forgive me if I was thrown off by the phrase "world of pain"

I'm not "married" to Lindsay's emotional state, I just don't want her to end like my cousin did.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:26 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next