Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:04 pm

The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Official Lindsay Lohan (and other celebs) Thread
ilovemovies wrote:
Wow, Shade. How much of your money to do you give to charity?

I guess none of us are allowed to ever over indulge. Because that money could go to charity instead.

I guess we are all selfish people.

Yes, we all are selfish people. Nothing I've seen in life makes me think we're naturally anything but.

As I tried to make clear, I'm not talking just about giving money away (as Vex said, there's some inherent problems with charities). I'm talking about what you value in life and what you want to make your life about. I'm not controlling anyone or trying to, but I'm allowed to call out those I feel are hypocritical. Doesn't make me right, but they are my honest beliefs.

What I or anyone else does in their personal life is not the point, nor is any amount of money or time or anything else the point. Hoarding things -- money, property, cars, whatever -- is not how I want to live my life. No one has to agree, but when people publicly make a big and obvious deal about their "charitable" behavior hypocritcally, I'm gonna call that out.

Is there a place for over-indulgence, leisure, vacation, etc? Of course. But I believe people are way more in danger of doing too much of that than of doing too little.

Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Well I shop at Walmart. Not all the time, but from time to time. I'm not rich and Walmart is cheap. If Walmart is really that bad then there are plenty of other retail stores and other stores that are similar to Walmart in my area that people can work at.

Oh I shop at Walmart too and i'm certainly not judging anyone who does, but nevertheless I keep hearing all these stories about employees being screwed over and feel bad for them, I don't think it would kill the Waltons to engage in some basic human decency at least.

I'm unconvinced Walmart is any worse than any other cooporation, big or small. Target does no better for their employees but have built a reputation (intentionally or not) that makes is seem like they do. Our system doesn't really let a company get huge without running over people.

Sat May 10, 2014 1:54 pm
Auteur

It's not Walmart itself that I feel is bad, it's the people in charge of it that truly concern me.

Sat May 10, 2014 2:13 pm
Director

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Well I shop at Walmart. Not all the time, but from time to time. I'm not rich and Walmart is cheap. If Walmart is really that bad then there are plenty of other retail stores and other stores that are similar to Walmart in my area that people can work at.

Oh I shop at Walmart too and i'm certainly not judging anyone who does, but nevertheless I keep hearing all these stories about employees being screwed over and feel bad for them, I don't think it would kill the Waltons to engage in some basic human decency at least.

I'm unconvinced Walmart is any worse than any other cooporation, big or small. Target does no better for their employees but have built a reputation (intentionally or not) that makes is seem like they do. Our system doesn't really let a company get huge without running over people.

Target is place you pay just a little bit more at to avoid shopping at Wal-Mart.If anything, Wal-Mart is probably the more honest corporation here; neither cares much about their employees, but while Target wraps it up in a nice-looking package, Wal-Mart is more of the openly "nah, we really don't give a shit" type of company. Which may not make them right, but it does make them more honest. I still don't shop there unless I absolutely have to.

Sat May 10, 2014 4:37 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
It's not Walmart itself that I feel is bad, it's the people in charge of it that truly concern me.

I get that. But are you more bothered by them then the ones in charge of Target? And if so, why?

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Target is place you pay just a little bit more at to avoid shopping at Wal-Mart.If anything, Wal-Mart is probably the more honest corporation here; neither cares much about their employees, but while Target wraps it up in a nice-looking package, Wal-Mart is more of the openly "nah, we really don't give a shit" type of company. Which may not make them right, but it does make them more honest. I still don't shop there unless I absolutely have to.

Because this is pretty spot-on. Again, let's be clear: Starbucks, Amazon, Apple, Abercrombie, whomever -- none are significantly prudent in their endeavors, they're in it for money. As I said, that's our system and that's fine. To demonize Wal Mart more than their competitors seems needlessly narrow-sighted to me.

Sat May 10, 2014 4:46 pm
Second Unit Director

Shade2 wrote:
To demonize Wal Mart more than their competitors seems needlessly narrow-sighted to me.

You should have put that in quotes to make a point.

Sat May 10, 2014 6:20 pm
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
Shade2 wrote:
To demonize Wal Mart more than their competitors seems needlessly narrow-sighted to me.

I'm not "demonizing" them per se, they're a great business no doubt, it's just unfortunate that the Walton family and the CEOs seems to care very little for the employees that make it a great business, so I wouldn't really call that a "narrow-sighted" observation.

Sat May 10, 2014 6:44 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Gedmud wrote:
Shade2 wrote:

I'm not "demonizing" them per se, they're a great business no doubt, it's just unfortunate that the Walton family and the CEOs seems to care very little for the employees that make it a great business, so I wouldn't really call that a "narrow-sighted" observation.

It's narrow-sighted in how you're focusing solely on Wal Mart and not recognizing that what they're doing is pretty commonplace. I think most agree with you about Wal Mart and the Walton family, but what about the numerous other corporations that are doing the exact same thing yet are flying under your (and most people's) radar? Sure, Wal Mart's practices are pretty awful, but what makes them worse than others doing the same thing?

Tue May 13, 2014 9:57 am
Auteur

The other corporations that do this are not "flying uner my radar", I simply didn't mention them here.

Tue May 13, 2014 1:43 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
The other corporations that do this are not "flying uner my radar", I simply didn't mention them here.

Yes, I realize you didn't mention them. That's why you're being called "narrow-sighted." Stop getting so "defensive" and at least try to "understand" the "points" people are "making." Why "focus" only on Wal Mart doing these things and only "mention" them? It isn't an attack on "you", dude. "Goodness."

Lots of people are doing this and you're choosing to focus only on one. That's what being narrow-sighted is! You're an adult! How do you not know that?

Tue May 13, 2014 2:23 pm
Auteur

PeachyPete wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Yes, I realize you didn't mention them. That's why you're being called "narrow-sighted." Stop getting so "defensive" and at least try to "understand" the "points" people are "making." Why "focus" only on Wal Mart doing these things and only "mention" them? It isn't an attack on "you", dude. "Goodness."

Lots of people are doing this and you're choosing to focus only on one. That's what being narrow-sighted is! You're an adult! How do you not know that?

Don't really see how that's being "defensive" or "narrow-sighted", i'm merely "explaining, you're an adult! How do YOU not know that? :roll: :?

Tue May 13, 2014 4:32 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Don't really see how that's being "defensive" or "narrow-sighted", i'm merely "explaining, you're an adult! How do YOU not know that? :roll: :?

You're right, I am an adult. I should have known better than to get involved. I'm sorry for thinking an adult should know what narrow-sighted means.

Tue May 13, 2014 4:56 pm
Auteur

I should've known that you wouldn't possibly be able to understand anything that I said, and i'm sorry that you couldn't grasp that i'm well-aware of what narrow-sighted means.

Tue May 13, 2014 5:00 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I should've known that you wouldn't possibly be able to understand anything that I said, and i'm sorry that you couldn't grasp that i'm well-aware of what narrow-sighted means.

If that's true, then how about instead of getting defensive, actually explain what's not narrow-sighted about what you're saying? Because as Petey said, saying

Vexer wrote:

is the very definition of making a a narrow-sighted observation. This has been explained a million times: this is a discussion forum. That means that people will respond to what you say. When you (rightfully) call out Wal Mart in a way that sounds like their behavior is unusual, some may call that out. And you know what? That's the whole point of the forum. Also: it's not the same as name calling. No one is attacking you. We are trying to have a discussion on these here Discussion Forums.

Tue May 13, 2014 5:13 pm