Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:48 am

Scottish Independence 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Scottish Independence
This forum may come to late anyway. Considering scottish indepence was already voted down. I always thought this was never going to work. Too many people feel their british first and scottish second. Seconly they love their dear old queen. One person on the news said they don't want to ruled by a foreign power. Dude, Scotland to London is like driving from D.C to New York. It only take several hours of driving.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:56 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Scottish Independence
Big_Mike, one thing you need to keep in mind is that the people of Scotland do feel like they are socially, culturally, and even politically distinct from the rest of the UK, and the feeling of "British first, Scottish second" has often shifted throughout history, with nationalistic trends being especially pronounced in recent years. In fact, the results of the recent referendum show that 44.7% of the people voted for independence, as opposed to 55.3% voting to stay in the UK (with a turnout of 84.6%, an incredibly high turnout).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_i ... ndum,_2014

That's 44.7% of the people, which is a very high number of people desiring independence, who feel that they will be better off as an independent country. And geographic proximity doesn't necessarily dim the feeling of nationalism. In Canada (where I live), there has been a long-standing political movement in the province of Quebec (a predominately French-speaking province), represented by one of the major provincial political parties, for independence from the rest of Canada, and my province is right next door.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:07 pm
Producer

I live near Scotland. Damn near. 2 hours drive.

I also grew up on an estate/project that was probably 50% Scottish ... and heck, i'm glad they voted to stay.

A close call. Proud people. But as much rivalry as there is between us, there is much more that makes us the same. I'm English, but with Welsh background. These islands are small, everyone has cross-border history

Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:44 pm
Director

Ironically, about a week before the whole thing made the news, I was watching Braveheart for the first time in quite a while.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Cinematographer

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Ironically, about a week before the whole thing made the news, I was watching Braveheart for the first time in quite a while.

Is that "ironically" or "coincidentally"? Let's get the grammar nuts to weigh in. I remember when the Alanis Morissette hit "Ironic" came out 20(!) years ago and some critics noted that none of the examples that she sang about contained irony...they we either coincidences or just plain "bummers".

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:36 pm
Director

Johnny Larue wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Is that "ironically" or "coincidentally"? Let's get the grammar nuts to weigh in. I remember when the Alanis Morissette hit "Ironic" came out 20(!) years ago and some critics noted that none of the examples that she sang about contained irony...they we either coincidences or just plain "bummers".

It is "coincidentally". And indeed, Alanis apparently didn't know what "irony" actually is, but decided to pen a song literally based on the word anyway. That was in itself, of course, ironic.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:47 am
Producer

Rain on your wedding day = bad luck

A free ride when you've already paid = sod's law

A death row pardon 2 minutes too late = incompetent, overstaffed bureaucracy

10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife = unlikely. But if so, trade a few of your spoons

Meeting the man of her dreams, then his beautiful wife = that's life, kid! Get fucking used to it. And buy a dictionary while you're here!

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:12 am
Cinematographer

You know you've got troubles when Weird Al is calling you out (2:40 mark).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vP ... Gv0H-vPoDc

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 am