Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT) 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
Hi Everyone

My name is Ricky. I'm 23 years old, currently unemployed, male originally from Pontianak, West Borneo, Indonesia. Previously, I have also lived and studied in Singapore (high school) and San Francisco Bay Area (college). After graduation, I worked for a semiconductor company in San Jose, CA for almost 2 years before getting laid off last year :( . and now I'm back in my home country plotting my next move.

Although I started watching movies when I was 6/7 years old, I fell in love with movies when I watched Roland Emmerich's Independence Day in local theaters. The experience of watching a large scale alien invasion and the fightback by the military wowed me so much I feel like wanting to make films like that. Over the years, I have watched more and more movies and read more about them to educate myself. Even though my background is in computer science, I still harbor some hope to become a filmmaker some day (and I have done little work in scriptwriting and editing).

I love most kind of movies as long as they have a good story. But I am too scared of watching Horror films and films with a lot of gratuitous violence and I would unfortunately miss many great films because of that.I have too many favourite movies to mention, it all depends on the genres and directors, but if I can only mention one, it would be The Matrix.

I started reading James way back in 2000 when I was still in Singapore. I started learning how to use internet and when reading movie reviews in Yahoo! Movies, they link to James' reviews and I have been a silent reader since then. What I love about James' reviews are that they're intelligent and honest without being way too pretentious like some of the more "arty" or "serious" critics out there. Keep up the good work.

That's all I have to say for now. I look forward to participating in this great community!

-Ricky

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:50 pm
I'm Jim, 25, from Akron, Ohio. I am a studying/practicing archaeogeophysist. I spend a lot of the year traveling to or in remote areas for work so I tend to read far more than I watch movies. I am a casual movie watcher who has been reading James's reviews since the site was purple and black.

Just a side note: I was in Turkey when "Live Free of Die Hard" was released, out there it was just called "Die Hard 4".

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:15 pm
I'm A.J., and I'm a soon-to-be-24-year-old film aficionado from west-central Wisconsin. I'm an online critic myself, having written reviews for almost 11 years now, including a site dedicated to foreign cinema I opened last year. I hold an Associate's of Arts & Sciences from UW-Barron County, and I recently graduated from UW-River Falls with a B.S. in Liberal Arts (Journalism major, Film Studies minor).

I write reviews for about four or five outlets. At the moment, I'm working on starting a video series involving horror reviews. I also have about five scripts/stage plays that are in various stages of being written, and I'm also a budding actor. I've done five plays so far (my favorite being "The Actor's Nightmare," strangely enough), and I'm set to be in one this summer, though the part is huge, and I'm considering backing out due to time constraints. I also voted for Ralph Nader in the last two elections, which I don't see as throwing my vote away at all.

Oh, and amidst all this, I found a girlfriend I couldn't adore more.

And that is the Ballad of A.J. Hakari...

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:28 pm
Greetings, I am Nikhil. You may call me Nick :) I am a software engineer and killing my Friday afternoon reading /. and ReelViews simultaneously!!
Seriously though, I am from India where there are numerous films in numerous languages made each year which one cannot even count. I am in my late twenties, so it should not come as a surprise to anyone that my first English language movie was Men in Black :) But I have come a long way since then and have watched about 90-100 movies each year since then. I started reading James' reviews after I read his Jaws and Die Hard movie reviews and I thought, hell yeah! I have watched almost all movies in James' top 100 and have agreed with his ratings more or less.
Nice to see this forum. I hope to catch more wise words from movie nerds all around :)
Peace!

Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:58 pm
^^^^^Hey nikhil,
I am Rishi from India and its great to see someone rom your country have the same interests,I thought I was the only indian who referred to James's reviews.Have a great time and PM me if you like

Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:27 am
I think it's just awesome how diverse the members of these forums are!

Hey everyone, my name is Tim and I'm a 19 year-old college student. Currently my major is media and communications, but my vocational goal is to become a director and screenwriter. I was born, raised, and still reside in the Bronx, NYC. I have been a frequent visitor of Reelviews for about 3 or 4 years now. My interest in film began in the 8th grade but didn't truly begin to develop until high school. I began searching the web for sites with lots of movie reviews and a personal top 100 list - my goal was to create a list of movies I should see because of their value to cinema, and thusly broaden my then narrow view of films. I came across Reelviews and almost instantaneously became a fan.

I am so glad James put up these forums; it is nice to be able to communicate with a wide variety of people who have similar interests in film.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:52 pm
Director

Hi, I'm Dan.

I'm 19 years old, going to school, trying to major in sport management. I also work part-time at a local pet store to earn extra money for my personal and school expenses. In my free time I like to play basketball (big NBA fan) and soccer. I also like to watch football, soccer, and baseball. Right now I'm just an interest student, I have to apply to the major at the end of this semester. I'm crossing my fingers, there's about 53 in the class right now, and they can only take 25-30. My grades are alright, but I'm definitely struggling in some of my classes (Econ is especially difficult, the class set-up is 12 quizzes and a final, it sucks). School is definitely #1 on my priorities right now, since this is an extremely difficult and competitive major I'm trying to get into.

I've been into movies ever since I can remember. I wrote reviews for the school paper, I would later become editor-in-chief of that paper my senior year (last year). As a freelancer my 10th grade year, I won a state award for my review on "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", that's probably amongst the top of my accomplishments in school. Even though I'm in college now and can't write for the school paper, I find outlets all over the web to share my opinions on all kinds of movies. Not many people I know share the same passion for film that I do, probably the reason I'm so glad I found this site had a forums section. I've been checking out reelviews for 2-3 years, but it was just 1-2 weeks ago that I discovered there was a forums section available.

My favorite movies are "The Godfather", "Into the Wild", "American History X", "Reservoir Dogs", and "Fight Club", amongst others.

My favorite musical artists are "Rage Against the Machine", "System of a Down", "Metallica", "Queens of the Stone Age", and "Red Hot Chili Peppers".

My favorite sports teams are the San Antonio Spurs, the Boston Red Sox, and the Tennessee Titans.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Last edited by DunkinDan89 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

New board member, but 9 year reader.

24 years old, in North Carolina, finishing last year of law school, hopefully to get in somewhere peaceful and not too soul-sucking.

Movie-wise: Been a lover of film since I was a child. First movie I remember on the screen: Ghostbusters II followed by a gut-wrenching at the time, All dogs go to heaven.
I'm more of a story/cinematography kind of guy. That's why David Lean I worship on David Lean.

Fave teams: CAR panthers, WAS capitals, Univ. Of Tennessee sports

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:41 pm
sorry to be a against it.. why should we introduce ourselves?

there are 882 registered users, only 513 who have posted anything,
why did the others register?
i have no idea what the unregistered user count is
who they are
what they are following
what they are reading
if somebody does not like what i post.. i don't want anybody stalking my house or my family..

am i paranoid? maybe... but what do i care what YOU think :-)

Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:34 pm
I've been here since the forums opened and never introduced myself, so I figured I should probably do that.

I'm Josh. I'm currently in college for computer networking, although I'm getting ready to graduate with my associates degree (June). I'm not sure that it's what I want to do as a career (I'm also an aspiring journalist that writes for a website). Anyway, I didn't really get into movies until about 2 years ago when I got my current part-time job in my local library in the AV department renting out movies. I started renting lots of stuff I had always wanted to see and it began taking over. Now I use it frequently as well as Netflix for indie films we don't have etc...

Last year I bought an HDTV and started building up my collection of movies I like on blu-ray. I'm currently up to about 50 on blu-ray. I have about 10 on DVD since they aren't out on blu-ray yet (why aren't Atonement and Pride & Prejudice out on blu-ray?!)

Nice to meet everyone and I hope to begin a friendship with the lovely people we have here in these forums! :)

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:27 am
Hello there, I'm Alexander, 24 years old, from South America. I've been a Reelviews reader for a few years now but 15 minutes ago I decided to join the boards out of boredom. :D

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:14 am
Alexander wrote:
Hello there, I'm Alexander, 24 years old, from South America. I've been a Reelviews reader for a few years now but 15 minutes ago I decided to join the boards out of boredom. :D

Live long and prosper, my friend!

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:18 pm
Hi.

I'm a 40y.o. housewife from Northern California who loves movies. I don't watch as many as I used to but there is still nothing like turning off the lights and curling up on the couch and watching a film, whether it's one you've never seen before or one you've seen 20 times.

I've been reading ReelViews for a long time (when it still had the "old" look) and James is always the first reviewer I check when I look up a film. Didn't realize there was a forum until today. I'll probably mostly lurk, but it's nice to see he has so many supporters. Keep up the great work.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:18 am
Ricky Polim wrote:
Hi Everyone

My name is Ricky. I'm 23 years old, currently unemployed, male originally from Pontianak, West Borneo, Indonesia. Previously, I have also lived and studied in Singapore (high school) and San Francisco Bay Area (college). After graduation, I worked for a semiconductor company in San Jose, CA for almost 2 years before getting laid off last year :( . and now I'm back in my home country plotting my next move.

Although I started watching movies when I was 6/7 years old, I fell in love with movies when I watched Roland Emmerich's Independence Day in local theaters. The experience of watching a large scale alien invasion and the fightback by the military wowed me so much I feel like wanting to make films like that. Over the years, I have watched more and more movies and read more about them to educate myself. Even though my background is in computer science, I still harbor some hope to become a filmmaker some day (and I have done little work in scriptwriting and editing).

I love most kind of movies as long as they have a good story. But I am too scared of watching Horror films and films with a lot of gratuitous violence and I would unfortunately miss many great films because of that.I have too many favourite movies to mention, it all depends on the genres and directors, but if I can only mention one, it would be The Matrix.

I started reading James way back in 2000 when I was still in Singapore. I started learning how to use internet and when reading movie reviews in Yahoo! Movies, they link to James' reviews and I have been a silent reader since then. What I love about James' reviews are that they're intelligent and honest without being way too pretentious like some of the more "arty" or "serious" critics out there. Keep up the good work.

That's all I have to say for now. I look forward to participating in this great community!

-Ricky

Ricky

I enjoy your posts - welcome!

Rob

Mon May 04, 2009 3:50 am
Blace wrote:
I've been here since the forums opened and never introduced myself, so I figured I should probably do that.

I'm Josh. I'm currently in college for computer networking, although I'm getting ready to graduate with my associates degree (June). I'm not sure that it's what I want to do as a career (I'm also an aspiring journalist that writes for a website). Anyway, I didn't really get into movies until about 2 years ago when I got my current part-time job in my local library in the AV department renting out movies. I started renting lots of stuff I had always wanted to see and it began taking over. Now I use it frequently as well as Netflix for indie films we don't have etc...

Last year I bought an HDTV and started building up my collection of movies I like on blu-ray. I'm currently up to about 50 on blu-ray. I have about 10 on DVD since they aren't out on blu-ray yet (why aren't Atonement and Pride & Prejudice out on blu-ray?!)

Nice to meet everyone and I hope to begin a friendship with the lovely people we have here in these forums! :)

Hi Josh

Pardon my ignorance with the Blace name and the avatar? I don't know the picture?

Welcome
Rob

Mon May 04, 2009 3:51 am
A.J. Hakari wrote:
I'm A.J., and I'm a soon-to-be-24-year-old film aficionado from west-central Wisconsin. I'm an online critic myself, having written reviews for almost 11 years now, including a site dedicated to foreign cinema I opened last year. I hold an Associate's of Arts & Sciences from UW-Barron County, and I recently graduated from UW-River Falls with a B.S. in Liberal Arts (Journalism major, Film Studies minor).

I write reviews for about four or five outlets. At the moment, I'm working on starting a video series involving horror reviews. I also have about five scripts/stage plays that are in various stages of being written, and I'm also a budding actor. I've done five plays so far (my favorite being "The Actor's Nightmare," strangely enough), and I'm set to be in one this summer, though the part is huge, and I'm considering backing out due to time constraints. I also voted for Ralph Nader in the last two elections, which I don't see as throwing my vote away at all.

and dude, your site rocks!
Rob

Mon May 04, 2009 3:53 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
A.J. Hakari wrote:

and dude, your site rocks and is a reference for me on my cinematic journey!
Rob

Mon May 04, 2009 3:54 am
rishi85 wrote:
^^^^^Hey nikhil,
I am Rishi from India and its great to see someone rom your country have the same interests,I thought I was the only indian who referred to James's reviews.Have a great time and PM me if you like

Hi Rishi85, we've Pm'd and talked already but welcome!
Rob

Mon May 04, 2009 3:55 am
Polar Bear wrote:
sorry to be a against it.. why should we introduce ourselves?

there are 882 registered users, only 513 who have posted anything,
why did the others register?
i have no idea what the unregistered user count is
who they are
what they are following
what they are reading
if somebody does not like what i post.. i don't want anybody stalking my house or my family..

am i paranoid? maybe... but what do i care what YOU think :-)

Hi Polarbear

As one who posts rarely, I love your name and avatar!

Welcome
Rob

Mon May 04, 2009 3:56 am
moulton4 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm Carter Moulton. I have posted already around the forum, but here's an official introduction:

I love movies! I want to be a film critic someday, and with the way the economy's going, it's going to be TOUGH. I will make it somehow. I started my own website http://www.filmgazing.com and contribute to Michigan State's various publications, hoping to build a resume. I love reading Berardinelli's reviews because his writing style is witty when it needs to be and straightforward when it needs to be. I hope to become a member of the Online Film Critic's Society someday and get this thing rolling!

...I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Hi Carter

I so enjoyed talking with you on our religion thread. We are different, but you have my respect.

Rob

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next