It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:45 am

Fred Phelps is dying 
Cinematographer

Post Fred Phelps is dying
Anyone protesting his funeral here?

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:10 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: Fred Phelps is dying
He wasn't worth wasting time on in life, so he certainly isn't worth wasting time on in death. If I was in the area, I might consider pissing on his grave, but that's about it.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:10 pm
Auteur

I knew Karma would catch up with him sooner or later, hopefully his death will mean the end of his organization. I'm sure some people will protest him.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:44 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Normally, I don't like celebrating a person's death, but for someone who spent most of their life spreading hatred especially towards people like me, I'm willing to make an exception. I'm not a religious person, so I hope he dies a slow painful death. People shouldn't protest his funeral (as hard as that may be), but rather, just not show up to his funeral at all. Let him die alone and be forgotten. I think that would probably be a bigger bitch slap to the face, knowing what you did for most your life had no effect on anyone. That's just me though.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:58 pm
Producer

I'll say here what I've said elsewhere: I'm not happy that he's dying, but I am happy that he's no longer in a position to do what he did with his life.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:48 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
I'll say here what I've said elsewhere: I'm not happy that he's dying, but I am happy that he's no longer in a position to do what he did with his life.

Yep. You can't selectively hate people and wish death on them and stand on any moral ground. He and his followers are easy targets for moral vehemence without action. Stand up and reject hatred, take the available steps to curb it, but to paraphrase just a little, don't take joy in the death of the wicked.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:35 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Ken wrote:

Yep. You can't selectively hate people and wish death on them and stand on any moral ground. He and his followers are easy targets for moral vehemence without action. Stand up and reject hatred, take the available steps to curb it, but to paraphrase just a little, don't take joy in the death of the wicked.

I don't see anything wrong in taking joy of the death of the "wicked", how many people were celebrating when Osama Bin Laden was finally killed? Obviously Phelps is nowhere near on the same level, but I still won't judge someone who finds joy in his death.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:54 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I don't see anything wrong in taking joy of the death of the "wicked", how many people were celebrating when Osama Bin Laden was finally killed? Obviously Phelps is nowhere near on the same level, but I still won't judge someone who finds joy in his death.

I'm certainly not trying to judge anyone. Was I happy OBL was apprehended? Of course. But that doesn't mean I was happy he was dead.

I just think it's dangerous territory as a society. It seems like we're cheering the death of someone we hated because he cheered death. You see what I mean?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:26 am
Director

I was going to mention Bin Laden as well. And here's why celebrating someone's death sets a tricky precedent: it only fires up that person's supporters even more. Bin Laden dying doesn't mean the end of terrorism, and Fred Phelps dying doesn't mean the end of hate-mongering. In both cases, I can quietly let out a sigh of relief rather than dancing in the streets. But you know how it goes in the public realm; for every action there is a reaction.

The Westboro Baptist Church went to incredibly disgusting lengths (protesting funerals and the like) to promote a message that is wrong-headed to begin with. But celebrating the founder's death, even though he is a very wicked person, is basically fighting hate with hate. And so the cycle continues.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:43 am
Auteur

Well I personally disagree that it's "continuing the cycle", I would never dare tell someone in NYC or DC not to celebrate OBL's death, after what they went through, they had eevery right to do so.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:51 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Well I personally disagree that it's "continuing the cycle", I would never dare tell someone in NYC or DC not to celebrate OBL's death, after what they went through, they had eevery right to do so.

I kind of agree with this, I thought the firefighters, families, children who grew up without their father or mother deserved to celebrate OBL's death. As for me, I didn't because thankfully neither I or my family was in the city that day so I never lost someone, but all those peoples' lives he ruined deserved to let some of their pain out at least. That's just me though. I won't be picketing Fred Phelps' funeral (I don't even live near him), but who am I to say no to the people who will? I can't stop them. =/

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:22 pm
Auteur

And now he's dead.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:17 pm
Director

I don't feel anything. He's dead and I don't feel happy. Or sad. I guess that goes to show that in the end, he was pretty insignificant.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I don't feel anything. He's dead and I don't feel happy. Or sad. I guess that goes to show that in the end, he was pretty insignificant.

I guess that explains why he's not getting a funeral.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:58 am
Producer

Heard a great idea earlier. There should be a massive gay pride event at the day and site of his burial.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:11 am
Director

What I wrote on Facebook a couple days ago:

Quote:
So Fred Phelps is dead. While I do not rejoice in his death, there is something amusing about the thought of people picketing his funeral waving signs that say "Gad Hates Intolerant A**holes"

On the other hand, I did rejoice when Creed broke up. I will do likewise when Nickelback splits.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:16 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
What I wrote on Facebook a couple days ago:

Quote:
So Fred Phelps is dead. While I do not rejoice in his death, there is something amusing about the thought of people picketing his funeral waving signs that say "Gad Hates Intolerant A**holes"

On the other hand, I did rejoice when Creed broke up. I will do likewise when Nickelback splits.

I love Nickelback, but I can't stand Creed, I was happy when they broke up, but then of course they had to re-unite.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:06 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I love Nickelback, but I can't stand Creed, I was happy when they broke up, but then of course they had to re-unite.

I find that an odd thing to say, since they're basically the same band.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:27 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

But Creed actually has talent and less embarrassing lyrics and Scott Stapp has a less-annoying voice.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:41 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

No they're not at all, they sound completely different from one another.

Creed does NOT have talent at all and they have a far worse vocalist and lyrics(most of which are pseudo-religious nonsense)

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:07 pm